Chi - Huge Fractal - invite only

It's not great, but a hell of a lot better ;)

Once again, guys, thanks!

onwards

(I will post here when I've played my turn)

Chi_BC-4000_to_Dogboy.

My start sucks. And I don't really know how to use advanced start. So I think I screwed it up even more. I sent the save the old way, but I still haven't figured out PBEM tracker.

Sent to Ricketyclick.

My start is ok. Got a couple of food sources but it looks dry beyond that. To make matters worse I have a lot of coastline and I'm not even Financial.

Chi_BC-4000_to_Dogboy.

My start sucks. And I don't really know how to use advanced start. So I think I screwed it up even more. I sent the save the old way, but I still haven't figured out PBEM tracker.

When the turn comes up generally the password field is on top so I set my password and then the 2 screens overlap: the advanced start choices overlapping the map. The pink square is the adviser's choice of where to place your capitol. You may do that or look for a more opportune square to use. You click the city button or create improvements automated button. If you choose to place your own city, you do so and then may wish to add culture and population, just don't forget any units you might wish to add. 396 gold go fast. There are various strategies that you may use. Test the advanced start in a single player practice. Good luck :)

Chi_BC-4000_to_Dogboy.

What tiles do you have, how many? what resources? etc..

If you think you messed up the start because of not knowing how to do advanced start, would you like another attempt at it?

What elements of advanced start do you not know how to use?
I would be willling to talk you through the overall idea, if you PM me a phone number.

ricketyclik of the Khmer. I'll be posting turns having been sent here, as I prefer to send from in-game.

Good luck everybody!

3960 BC to Ozy.

Chas is correct, there are many strategies that you can use.

One strategy is to buy as many cities as you can in order to grab land and resources. The problem is you don't have gold left for units and if your neighbor sees this, he may attack you. Your economy also takes a hit and it takes you longer to tech.

One strategy is to buy one city and then add population to it to make it a super city. The problem is you don't grab a lot of land and when you tech up, resources may not be in your fat cross. You also run into unhappiness that much sooner.

One strategy is to to buy techs to get a religion or some other tech where you can add improvements such as agriculture (farms) or fishing (boats). The problem is you can't build too many cities or units.

One strategy is the balance or "play it safe" strategy. Depending on how much gold you start with, you buy a couple of cities and put units in them to defend. This is safe, but the problem is you may not have capitalized on your strengths. If you have agriculture you may not have built a farm. If you started with mining you may not have bought bronze working to get some copper.

The best thing to do is start a single player game with advanced start and just try out many different things. You have to play to your civ/leader strengths, as well as your surrounding area strength.

I just sent Cutlass a pm, asking if he wants to discuss this.

Replaying a turn is generally frowned upon. But I see no problem with him replaying his turn if he doesn't know how to use advanced start. Not much fun for him to put down a crappy city and then hit the begin turn button with 400 gold left over. If he does replay his turn, then hopefully the RNG puts me in a better spot :lol:

Replaying a turn is generally frowned upon. But I see no problem with him replaying his turn if he doesn't know how to use advanced start. Not much fun for him to put down a crappy city and then hit the begin turn button with 400 gold left over. If he does replay his turn, then hopefully the RNG puts me in a better spot :lol:

Yes, you are quite correct, and my suggestion is purely about a first timer possibly going wrong because its the first time. I agree we should allow for that.

I did not know about the RNG thing at the start - I thought all the start locations were decided as the game spawns, so Cutlass replaying will not affect this.
If he gets in touch, we might find out..

My problem is that I'm on the end of a piece of land. I've got clams, but very little of anything else. And there's no place for me to put a second city. At least no place close enough to see that wouldn't be all ocean or desert. I don't have anything to give me production and no place to go. I suppose it's not entirely an unplayable start. But I certainly wouldn't play it in single player.

OK.

How many squares, how many clams, how many other resources? what other tile types?
Sounds like you might have one reasonable city?
How does the start compare with Calanthian's first one? (post #67)

One of the options in the advanced start is to gain visibility of dark squares - although this costs.
There may be other sites close by? Alternatively you could build a settler and search?

From your first post, I thought you thought you might have messed up the advanced start.
This sounds more of a bad start claim, although you have clams?

Not sure...

When you started, did you add culture or was any added automatically. You should have either 9 or 21 colored squares.

When you started, did you add culture or was any added automatically. You should have either 9 or 21 colored squares.

You are talking about the fat cross?

Normal cities get 9 squares, and have to wait to grow to 21,
but in AS get 21 right away if the leader has cultural/charismatic (can't remember which!) trait.

ricketyclik of the Khmer. I'll be posting turns having been sent here, as I prefer to send from in-game.

Good luck everybody!

3960 BC to Ozy.

btw.. I did not receive this yet...pinged by email for re-send.

Yes, you are quite correct, and my suggestion is purely about a first timer possibly going wrong because its the first time. I agree we should allow for that.

I did not know about the RNG thing at the start - I thought all the start locations were decided as the game spawns, so Cutlass replaying will not affect this.
If he gets in touch, we might find out..

I don't know if the RNG will give out different spots or not. If person A builds one city then I think the game has the choice to put person B close to them. But if person A builds 10 cities then obviously it will move person B further away. Of course, I may be wrong.

Well first I hit a wrong key and it was over without my building anything, so I closed the program without saving and did it again. I think I did it better the second time around, but I don't care for the results. I suppose I can try to play it, not to I've got 2 clams, 2 flood plains, 6 forests. 1 with a spice. I just don't see anywhere to go from here.

Play the damned thing, and I'll just live with my results. Rather than holding you guys up any further. I'll just have to see if exploring accomplishes anything.

Well first I hit a wrong key and it was over without my building anything, so I closed the program without saving and did it again. I think I did it better the second time around, but I don't care for the results. I suppose I can try to play it, not to I've got 2 clams, 2 flood plains, 6 forests. 1 with a spice. I just don't see anywhere to go from here.

Play the damned thing, and I'll just live with my results. Rather than holding you guys up any further. I'll just have to see if exploring accomplishes anything.

That sounds like a great spot for a super city. But getting another city, like you say, depends on your exploration.

Top Bottom