Tectonics

I got a ruin placed on top of a mountain again with this map script. I haven't seen that occur with other scripts, so I suspect it's a problem with this script. I'm using version 6.

No it can't be an issue with the script, since it doesn't change the way resources are distributed.
It's a problem with either the default resource distribution, or with the 3D view which is bugged as it sometimes shows mountains where they are not (can be reproduced manually with worldbuilder and not using this script).

Is there a way to make this mapscript part of the pool of maptypes picked, when you chose "Random Map Type"? I prefer to not know what maptype I'm playing on til later in the game. :D

I Love This Addon!

It makes some great and interesting maps. The one thing that I would tweak if I knew where to start on modding this game would be after a map is completed as is, do a check on rivers and connect start points to the nearest mountain area or if there isnt one nearby put a lake at the end. It just doesn't make sense for rivers large enough to slow an armies movement to come from anywhere else.

I didn't touch the river code at all when doing this script, as I found the rivers nice enough as they were. If they make rivers start from a tile and then flow down as I suspect, the change shouldn't be too hard to do, but I think there may not always be enough mountains for a good map, so some starting in hills would also be required.
Also, river scripting is quite a pain to write.

Love this map script, I'm trying to edit it to make it slightly more hilly, as 70% huge water maps can have huge flatlands that have no production, but I can't seem to figure it out. I think landoption increases mountains and hilloption turns mountains into flatter land, but I can't really get this right. Like, if I'm doing 70% water and change landoption to .4 it gets super mountainous, but .3 becomes super flatlands. Keeping landoption at default and just increasing hilloption turned all the hills into mountains. Am I on the right track or should I be looking at completely different variables?

You should change the hillProportion value. At 70% water, you have 0.7 water, 0.2 land and 0.05 hill. You could try 0.15 land and 0.1 hill:
seaOption = {0.1,0.3,0.5,0.6,0.7,0.9},
landOption = {0.6,0.5,0.35,0.3,0.15,0.07},
hillOption = {0.25,0.15,0.1,0.05,0.1,0.02},
for example.
However, you may still not get enough hills because the heightmap may be too shallow.
If that's the case, you can try commenting the call to Blur() (self::Blur() in Create function), or increase the noise values, i.e. those:
collisionHeight = 40, -- height added when 2 plates collide
seaLevel = 0, -- base sea altitude
landLevel = 20, -- base land altitude
seaNoise = 6, -- max random sea altitude
landNoise = 9, -- max random land altitude
Just multiply everything by 10, the random should make some more noise that won't be blurred away.

This was my favorite map script for Civ 4, but for some reason I never tried the Civ 5 version... guess I thought the vanilla continents map was good enough.

I WAS WRONG! The Tectonics script is as awesome as ever, and so much better than anything that comes with the game. I know I'm late to the party, but thanks LDiCesare for another must-have script.

:bowdown:

Love this map script. :goodjob: I hope u'll continue developing it once the G&K is released.

Tectonics greatly improved my Civ 4 experience. I just downloaded the Civ 5 version, generated a few test maps and it looks like it will do the same for this implementation.

This is the best Civ5 map script I've seen so far, and I'm making a modified version for use with my mod. But I noticed a problem with the direction functions: North, South etc. - I think you calculate the coordinates of neighbour hexes incorrectly.

The correct formulas for neighbour hexes should be the following:

NorthWest: (x-1+y%2),(y+1)
NorthEast: (x+y%2),(y+1)
West: (x-1),(y)
East: (x+1),(y)
SouthWest: (x-1+y%2),(y-1)
SouthEast: (x+y%2),(y-1)

(I don't copy my LUA code here because my version is a flat map, so it uses constraints for x instead of "wrapping it around".)

Just use

Code:
local adjPlot = Map.PlotDirection(x, y, direction);

where direction is one of
  • DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_NORTHEAST
  • DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_EAST
  • DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_SOUTHEAST
  • DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_SOUTHWEST
  • DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_WEST
  • DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_NORTHWEST

Sorry if this is a noob question: Is this script able to be played in multiplayer? Are most scripts created by modders able to be used in multiplayer? Thanks in advance everybody!

I've got no idea whether custom scripts can be used in MP.
I haven't updated the script for G&K or any patch since I don't think Civ V is worth working on it.

I haven't updated the script for G&K or any patch since I don't think Civ V is worth working on it.
Funny. CivV is the first Civ game i enjoy playing without large mods applied :crazyeye:

If you don't plan to maintain that map, would you mind if i repack it in a G&K mod? I have played with your map many games and apart from a few graphic issues mentionned above, it still works pretty well. It just needs a valid ModBuddy .modinfo file.

Funny. CivV is the first Civ game i enjoy playing without large mods applied :crazyeye:

If you don't plan to maintain that map, would you mind if i repack it in a G&K mod? I have played with your map many games and apart from a few graphic issues mentionned above, it still works pretty well. It just needs a valid ModBuddy .modinfo file.

Bob, how is the repackaging for G&K coming along? Will it be MP compatible too?

Hi. I havn't done anything so far as i haven't found (nor had much time to search for) why this map (and several other custom scripts) get weird visual glitches (such as mountains looking like plains, and the other way around).

I have attached a zip of the "mod" i use when i want to play this map. Just unzip it in your CiV mods folder (should be "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS) and it should show up in the Mod selector. Actually, all i added is the "Tectonics_MS (v 1).modinfo" file, the Lua script itself is still untouched.
Unfortunately, it won't work for MP as long as Firaxis doesn't allow mods for MP games :spank: . A possible work-around would be to generate a map by starting a solo game, save the map from the save menu, and use this map as a pre-generated map for MP.

EDIT : Occasionally i get a non-playable map (turn 0 loss). I just start another game and it works.

Attachments

• Tectonics_MS (v 1).zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 175
Top Bottom