Fix-It List

Well, the Omega driver didn't do the job for me, unfortunately. I've changed MapVisible to 1 as otherwise the game is unplayable - however this is a far from perfect solution as it reveals the entire map.

So this obviously isn't a graphics requirement issue - as has been pointed out above by Pyerun.

THANK YOU ALAMO!! :goodjob:

Thanks to this thread, I'm now up and running on my pc. I've been reading thread after thread trying to get some idea as to what the heck was causing my system to stop running the game after checking the XML parser. I did everything I could do to make this damn thing run. Followed all of the instructions on both this forum and Firaxis's website. Still couldn't get it to run. Then, I found this thread and now....it works!! :D Turns out that I needed to upgrade my motherboards BIOS. I also set my voice playback and voice recording to my Soundblaster Live 24. It was previously set to my modem(??).

I played for about 4 hours on maximum settings, huge world and all civs. Runs fine, but I do get an error after the game loads. A popup stating that a voice sound device has been disabled. :confused: Not sure what that means, but it hasn't affected my game.

Anyways, thanks for your help and my son thanks you too because I've been playing this game on his pc and interfering with his playing time of CoD2.

SPECS:
Pentium 4 2.4 gb
1 gig DDR ram
80 gig Maxtor HDD
ATI 9600SE
Windows Prof..w/SP2
Soundblaster Live 24

That's great! Civ4 grabs the mic, so it may interfere with another application.

@gingergus: Sounds like a video issue - what's your specs?

@sgthunter: My guess is a bad video driver - doulbe check for card vendor AND version prior to Apr 2005.

@Eerazor: Interesting detail - thanks!

@Hamlyn: Look for a driver from your card maker (not just gfx chip).

alamo said:
That's great! Civ4 grabs the mic, so it may interfere with another application.

Well, it's doing more than that, now. I was doing really good, for awhile. Now, it's CTD every 10 or so turns. No lag, just crashing. Can't figure this one out. Might be a scripting issue within the program. Although, I've seen this type of thing when you issue to many commands and the game "gags" and decides to just shut down. Either way, I dont think anymore tweaking will correct this issue. I'll just wait for a patch. Unless, you have some idea as to the cause of this.

Has anyone else noticed that when you turn on the option to show the productivity of terrain (i.e. food, commerce, production)-- or open a city window, or select a settler-- the map only displays 2 food on each square, regardless of the terrain type? Is this a common issue, and if so is there a fix or a patch? Whatever is causing it, it is really irritating.

Well Sid Meirer's ''if I Were You I Wouldnt Brag About Releasing This unfinnished Piece Of Junk '' Also I Would'nt Advertise Your Name To Any More Games ' As I Reckon Most Buyers Would Be Put Off 'By Seeing Sid Meire's Name Or Firaxis /2k games on any future titles' Been Ripped Off Once Is Quite Enough ! Would Be Nice To Read That A Law Suit Is Been Filed Against Releasing Untested Software And Releasing It To Paying Public . Bow Your Head In Shame Sid Mierer's Firaxis / 2k Games :( :( :( :( :(

I found a problem, when I was trading with a NPC Leader, i pressed alt+tab to do something, and when I re-loaded the Civ4 screen, I could only select the top talking option, so I had to accept his trade, and also afterwards, I still was only able to select the top option so I was never able to close the screen, I had to quit the game without saving...

Yours,
/ Nyto~

My Random crashes fix: I had multiple random crashes to desktop. Since I've turned my second monitor off (TV) (SVIDEO output-ATI radeon 9800pro), no more crashes.

All of this is just plain nonsense...

(I wish I could be more constructive, but I'm publishing this post before it being completed.) ;)

i got a geforce4mx card,i got the black terrain issue but i don;t have the floating eyes and mouth bug though. However, some models look really glossy ( like they are some plastic models...weird. Some like Chatherine looks fine but Caeser loks terrible). Probably due to my outdated card.

Fixed the black terrain by enabling debug mode. Same way as activating the cheat menu. ( i would never cheat though) However, through this method, u get to see all of the resources available in the game...i can see uranium in ancient. So that kinda ruins the game'

Everytime I try to run Civ IV, an error message comes up saying:

This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I have tried to reinstall and also found the file and put it on my desktop, but it still doesn't work. Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I want to start playing and am dying here. Thanks.

Hm, I've tried most of these troubleshooting options, and I thought they would definetely work, but none of them did. My problem is that after my new or load game loads, and it says 'done', the load screen stays there for minutes on end before a lag-tastic game comes up. Have I missed something on this list?:confused:

have you tried disabling the direct X sound options? It helped me with the same problem. (you should be able to find "dxdiag" in the "program files/directx/" folder. At least that's where it is on my system running Win2000Pro)

Hope this helps.

OK... it says I have no sound card. What's going on here?

Nyto said:
I found a problem, when I was trading with a NPC Leader, i pressed alt+tab to do something, and when I re-loaded the Civ4 screen, I could only select the top talking option, so I had to accept his trade, and also afterwards, I still was only able to select the top option so I was never able to close the screen, I had to quit the game without saving...

Yours,
/ Nyto~

I had this problem too, I found that if you go to "globe view" it'll fix it, at least, the one time I tried this.

My computer runs standard maps fine, but anything above is pretty sluggish, but seeing as how I have an AMD 4000+, OCed Apollo 6600GT (AGP), and 1gb of ram, this shouldn't be an issue? Any ideas? I tried the ram program, but that doesn't do anything.

I had tried for 5 days to get this game to start. It was crashing at xml init as
was many others are having problems with. I finally got past it by starting a
mp3 file in windows media player,then you can pause file, then game will start.
I dont remember where I read this fix to give credit since I've probably read a few hundred posts in past 5 days on this problem. I,ve had no other problems with game since. Its obviously a problem recognizing sound card. But I've updated evrerything on my computer and stood upside down while doing hokey pokey to boot. this is a really poor case of little beta testing for such a
popular game series. All of my drivers were already updated to begin with. Hope this helps someone till Fireaxis finds someone that is capeable of making decisions.

Hey all,

After installing when ai try to run the game it just brings upa a world map with pretty clouds im assumeing this is the main menu but there is nothing for me to click on or do any ideas?

So I've got the Radeon 9600, and I've done the rip/replace and the artpack fix-and still no luck.

I'm about to tear my hair out, so if anyone could offer anything else, I'd appreciate it.

thanks,
WarWitch

Top Bottom