I am always behind everyone else on new technologies, what am I doing wrong

Cindee74014

Chieftain
No matter how hard I try the other civs always have more tech than I do except early in the game since I always get the great library, I stay on track for while but then fall far behind

You need more cities.

The Great Library is one of the worst wonders, because you only get the techs that 2 other civs have already researched, which means it's only beneficial if you are behind in tech to 2 civs. The AI techs way slower than you ever need to, so putting a focus on this wonder (or hammering out most any wonder early in the game) is a mistake.

You need more cities. You need to manage your workers on custom. You shouldn't build early buildings until you have built plenty of settlers.

The early game is all about getting more gold, maybe taking a capital if you want to play aggressive, and get more settlers out.

The way you get more settlers is to get to Code of Laws asap. That means you should research Bronze Working, Alphabet, Writing, Code of Laws. Pottery, Masonay and Irrigation is probably a better tech path to use before getting the techs you need for Code of Laws, because Irrigation gives you +1 population in each city if you get it first.

Get 2 warriors out by having 2 workers on 2 forests for 5 turns. Explore and get gold, try to get to 100 gold. Put two workers on two grasslands and grow your capital to 3 population. after you get your 100 gold settler, rush another settler in your capital, this gives you three cities. From here, try to get 2 more settlers out as soon as possible, while you tech up and build some more units. Get Irrigation, then Code of Laws, and try to produce as many settlers as you can. You should shoot for 8-10 cities before 0AD.

Get to Navigation and settle a few islands with whales.

More cities will help you win the tech battle.

Top Bottom