Civ4 PitBoss Available

Hello,

and sorry for my n00bie question.

I'd very much like to participate in PitBoss-games. I am, however, unsure if I've got my email-thingies right for PitBoss to work. In the first post in this thread:

"You will be asked to supply a SMTP email login, select type of the game (DirectIP, LAN, or Internet), choose the game options, etc. Note that you need to have the v1.61 patch installed for it to work."

What's an SMTP email login? I've always used Hotmail mostly for my mails, but I understand this isn't it. I have this email account from my ISP, which works as webmail ie. you access your email through the web browser. Is this good for PitBoss or not?

I've been trying to setup Outlook Express 6 for this ISP-provided email account, but haven't been successful. I'm a bit lost with this all. Any clues? Can I get PitBoss to work through my webmail or do I need to have my Outlook Express set up for this to work?

Any comments would be helpful.

For participating in a PitBoss Game, you can totally neglect this thread. It's only important if you want to run a PitBoss Game as a Host.

And actually, I have never tried this E-Mail thing. But if I remember correct, it's broken. It is supposed to send E-Mails to players to tell them that it's their turn.
As this part of the PitBoss executable is not working, civstats.com was invented.
See this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=178807

Redarg
P.S.: To join a PitBoss Game: Just go to Multiplayer -> Direct IP -> Put in Adress of Pitboss -> Join.
If you want to get E-Mails: 1. Make sure the PitBoss admin has civstats installed and running. 2. Get Civstats data from your PitBoss admin 3. Go to civstats... follow instructions there.

Hey, that's good news! :goodjob: I was totally under the impression that PitBoss sent turns via pbem, but apparently that wasn't the case.

Now I can try my l33t überskills against human opponents some day. :D

Thanks for your comment!

Stupid /ALTROOT behavior in Pitboss:
I just wanted to test s.th. with Pitboss on my gaming machine.
So I created a shortcut to Pitboss with an special configuration path (I need the english language settings for pitboss/civstats).

Here's the thing: Every time I start Pitboss via the /ALTROOT shortcut all my savegames and Screenshots get moved from the normal save dir to the /ALTROOT-specified directory.
WTF?!

The result is, that I have to move all this back befor I start a normal singleplayer game...
Which is extremely annoying.

It seems that civ4.ini is not touched, but all the directories are moved.

Has anyone observed this too and can confirm it?
Has anyone any idea how to prevent this "ghost moving"?
The folders are of course not copied back the next time I start Pitboss/BTS without any command line argument. (How should Pitboss know, where to look for those files...)

Redarg

I have a problem with a running Pb-game.
I think i forgot to enable the "Take Over AI" option. I kicked myself to check this out and so it is. I can't choose my leader anymore.
Now a player builds a colony, but no one can get control of the new civ.
Is there a way to change the settings on a running game so that we can take over the AI?
maybe a switch in the civilization.ini?

Howei

2. Set up game via Direct IP

Sort of. You set up the game by starting the pitboss app. directly (C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword) on your dedicated pitboss host computer.

You only run the main BtS game when you want to connect. The pitboss app. is a separate program that runs independently, in the background.

Depending on your local LAN setup and firewalls, you might also have to set up some port forwarding rules on your router to make sure that people connecting in from outside get connected to the right computer on your LAN.

But I think you've got the basic idea.

I have Pitboss BTS 3.19 running on Ubuntu Karmic following the excellent directions in this thread.

I am attempting to get the Bat 2.2 running as a multiplayer Mod with Pitboss, however I am not having success. Running Pitboss from the terminal doesn't seem to indicate any errors, the last few lines in the terminal are here for completeness:

Code:
fixme:d3d_caps:wined3d_guess_card No card selector available for GL vendor 4 and card vendor 0000.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f2b8,0x00000000), stub!
Invalid Device:
You have selected an unusable voice capture device.  Voice capture disabled.
Invalid Device:
You have selected an unusable voice capture device.  Voice capture disabled.
CVRESMGR: shared 0, loaded 4, copied 0, cloned 0, failedLoads 0
CvEngine::shutdownGraphics

Cleaning up Properties:

(All of these messages also appear when I successfully exit from a running Pitboss server which is not using a Mod).

- I can load other Mods.
- I have connected to the Pitboss server and played a few turns.
- Bug Mod (which BAT mod includes) seems to have the exact same problem.
- I have tried both with and without the /ALTROOT switch.

Help is appreciated, and ideas are appreciated.

Cheers :)

It won't work for me.Every time I open it says "App:Active" and then a window opens saying CivIV crashed

Got it working
EDIT-What login?
EDIT2-It says I need to have v1.61 and I have V1.74 and it still asks for an uptade

Top Bottom