My first post! Is there a mod to enable 'Yield' view only when workers are chosen?

gregulate

Chieftain
Hi all,

Long time lurker here.

In Civ V I love how the tile yields automatically pop up when you select a worker.

In Civ IV I have to do this manually by hitting ctrl+Y each time I select a worker and then ctrl+Y again when moving on to military units.

I've searched a lot but had no luck. Is there a simple mod to enable Yield view display automatically when selecting a worker?

THank you!

Not that I'm aware of, but you could ask over in the mod forum (C&C). I always keep tile yields on and actually can't stand for them to be off.

I've never heard of that before. I like having the yields on all the time, helps me see the grid and see what tiles are being worked.

I'm sure it can be done in the C++ code. It can probably be done in the python code too, but I'm less familiar with that.

But either way, I don't know of any mod that has actually implemented that feature. (I also like have yields on all the time.)

Hm, actually it shouldn't be that difficult, considering selecting a settler has the same effect.

Doesn't one of the buttons (above the minimap) at the bottom right corner of the screen do the same thing as well? I'm a little confused (partly due to lack/overdose of caffeine/sugar/sleep as well) as to what the OP's question is :crazyeye:.

OP wants it on and off automatically based on selecting a worker. Civ 5 does this, although I think you can choose to keep yields on all the time...but it has been a looong time.

I actually like this idea, as I only turn it on when using workers, however, there is a small delay when changing between a settler and normal unit, and I think it would become annoying, if that delay came everytime a worker was selected/cycled.

CTRL-Y when worker is selected.
CTRL-Y after worker is assigned work :p

I know, I mentioned this in my OP.

The issue is that I am wondering if someone has or can develop a mod which will automate this each time a worker is selected (similar to the feature in Civ V).

If I may ask, what is the advantage of seeing the yields when a worker is selected? Does that influence what you want to do with the worker? It doesn't for me. I'm just trying to understand your goal here.

If I may ask, what is the advantage of seeing the yields when a worker is selected? Does that influence what you want to do with the worker? It doesn't for me. I'm just trying to understand your goal here.

Then how do you prioritize which tiles to improve and which improvements to place in order to maximize the tile output? I'd be interested to hear if I'm doing this wrong.

Then how do you prioritize which tiles to improve and which improvements to place in order to maximize the tile output? I'd be interested to hear if I'm doing this wrong.

I guess this might be needed if you are not familiar enough with the different tiles. But there's not that many different tiles in CIV and you'll learn the output of each quite quickly. Looking at the basic tile yield to decide worker improvements might also be misleading. For deciding worker actions you should instead make sure to always have resource bubbles turned on, because that really makes a difference. In general you should improve food resources first, starting from the strongest food resource. Next improve other resources. Then it depends on what the purpose of the city is. For commerce city start cottaging, or for production city you might build some more farms and some mines.

Having tile yield switched on is more useful for seeing what tiles are being worked. The yield symbols will appear larger on tiles worked and smaller on those that are not worked. I like keeping tile yield visible at all times for this reason. Makes it easier to spot mistakes in city micro without having to open the city screen. Seeing which tiles are/aren't worked will also tell you if the worker is needed around that city at all at the moment, or if it could be more useful improving the lands around some other city.

I agree completely with elite, I just know which tiles will, when improved, provide the best yields. Seeing the yields of the unimproved tiles doesn't really help you with that as you would have to hover over the tile to see the yield when improved anyway. Seeing which tiles are being worked is the great advantage of having the yields turned on, as elite explained. That's why I have them on at all times.

Top Bottom