"Civilization III & IV Complete Edition" bundle

Anaklusmos

Chieftain
Hello. I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so hopefully I've chosen wisely.

Anyway, I had to replace my copy of Civ IV because I broke the disc (I rolled over it with my chair) so I couldn't play the game at all. I'd had vanilla Civ IV for as long as I could remember. I decided I wanted the "complete edition" of the game, especially since I'd never gotten to play Colonization.

Well, I ordered it through Amazon, but what I got surprised me. It's a bundle of Civ III AND Civ IV in one package — both of them the "complete edition." However, before I tear it open and go to town, I wanted to ask if this is even a legitimate bundle of the game. I've never seen it mentioned on any official sites (not that I looked too terribly long) and it's not linked in the CivFanatics marketplace.

So... is this a legit bundle, and can I go ahead and open it, or should I send it back and get my money back?

Thanks!

I'd ask Amazon or whoever was a seller in your place.

Well, this bundle (the link goes to Amazon) is what I received in the mail, and it seems legit to me. As far as I can tell, it's a UK/European bundle, and none of the "reviews" even mention it being legit or not. In fact most of the reviews praise the fact that it's one disc and doesn't even require the disc to play. I just figured someone here, with more expertise on this, would be able to tell me if it is in fact a legit bundle or a rip off. The seller seems well-liked, too, with a 4.9 rating over the past 12 months.

I've not seen the combo, at least in one package, but that doesn't mean anything. Games can often be bundled differently in different parts of the world. And the fact that package is being sold by quite a view vendors on Amazon seems to make it legit. I'm sure it is fine. Anyway, I've never really heard of bootleg games in hard copy like that. You'd need a crack. Ofc, I guess anything is possible these days.

Too bad you didn't buy from the Gamersgate.com sale. IV Complete is only 6 bucks and you just download it. No discs, which is what I like.

Anyway, the main thing you want to play is BTS.

Yeah. I'm going to assume it's legitimate, especially since, all things considered, I bought it off Amazon. I don't know how their screening process works, if they've got one at all, but that should be enough for me.

I didn't know about that sale, but I prefer to have hard copies in my hands anyway. Something about having a physical copy of a game is what makes it for me.

I've played BtS before but only briefly. I've pretty much worn out vanilla Civ IV, though. Perhaps I'll try out some mods, too.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I didn't know about that sale, but I prefer to have hard copies in my hands anyway. Something about having a physical copy of a game is what makes it for me.

Yeah, I usually hear things like that from folks not used to digital downloads. To me, discs, boxes and manuals are just clutter that will wind up stacked in your garage/closet along with old Playboys, junk mail, and empty boxes for various electronic equipment that for some reason seemed a good idea to keep at the time :lol:

BTS is the ultimate version of Civ and the reason it is one of the best games of all time. All the good mods are for BTS too including BUG/BULL.

Steam is easy, but I would love to be able to run Civ without having Steam running at the same time.

Steam is easy, but I would love to be able to run Civ without having Steam running at the same time.

Although I usually run games within Steam, I can run Crusader Kings without Steam running at all. Does Steam Civ IV have the regular executable in steamapps folder? Have your tried creating a shortcut to it and running it without launching Steam?

Some games require Steam to run, but some only need Steam for the initial installation.

Anyway, having Steam running doesn't bother me much at all. It's low resource.

Gamersgate requires no 3rd party app.

There is Civ4BeyondSword.exe executable and I use it. It launch Steam before starting the game. You can still launch Steam in offline mod and play Civ, but even offline Steam creates sometimes some crazy lag (what can it do in offline mod?!!?!?), not to mention that in ONLINE mod Steam can take all your network bandwidth for some update without any notice. Steam system may be very useful, but Steam app by itself is plain horrid.

However, before I tear it open and go to town, I wanted to ask if this is even a legitimate bundle of the game.

I have this version and as far as I can judge it's an offical, legit Firaxis/2K US release version of the game. It comes fully patched to the newest versions and the Civ IV part is free of any DRM or copy protection. So if you bought it to replace your broken Civ IV disk, go ahead and enjoy. This is exactly what you were looking for. The only minor complaints one could have with this package: there's only an on-disk manual included, the package is a bit on the cheap and low quality side, the Civ III part has the copy protection, only allows to play Conquests (no Vanilla- or PtW-executables provided) and the installed game is misspelled "Civlization III" or something like that... :sad:

Well, yes - that's what they did. I mean there must be a reason why some people around constantly call the company "Failaxis"... ;)

I've seen that bundle available in Game (UK games store). I'm as certain as can be without actually owning it myself that it's legit.

Hey, folks, long time, no play. But now my son (8) is getting into it, through a Steam installation of Civ IV. And, I proceeded to ruin my Civ III disk, so I need to replace that, too. So, the only drawback is that you still need the disk to play Civ III, and it only allows Conquests? That's cool, because I trashed that disk, too, and have been reduced to playing Gold lately. Not the same.

Also, it looks like I can do this from the Steam page, but just to check here - does anyone know if I can load the Civ IV game on one machine and do a multi-player with the Steam installation (offline?) on another via a LAN? That would make my son very happy (and not force us to do hotseat!). Thanks!

So, the only drawback is that you still need the disk to play Civ III, and it only allows Conquests?

Exactly.

Also, it looks like I can do this from the Steam page, but just to check here - does anyone know if I can load the Civ IV game on one machine and do a multi-player with the Steam installation (offline?) on another via a LAN?

No expert here, never tried that - but I don't see any serious technical reason why it should not work...

Multiplayer works perfectly on Steam version of CIV with Steam been in offline mode.

Right on, thanks, folks. Turns out that my daughter prefers Civ III, so this is a win-win-win.

See you all on the other side of the time sink! :)

Amazon has pretty strict regulations on pirated stuff so I would't worry about it.

Top Bottom