The Silly Good Start Thread

Lemon Merchant

Not Quite Sonic
Retired Moderator
Sometimes, you just get a good start, and sometimes you don't. The RNG can be fickle. I usually play the start that I get and suffer the consequences, but sometimes you pull a good one.

This one isn't too bad:

Spoiler :
Start40000.JPG

Nice start location and a good place for a city to the east to capitalize on all of that gold. All in all, not bad...

...but I'm sure some of you can do better.

So post your best starts and let us drool over them. :D

Full of Resources map script for sure. :)

In the past few years, I almost only play NC series, and many are edited. So i guess they don't count.

Congrats on a really good start Lemon ! I feel lucky when I roll a strategic resource near my expansion path and/or have many rivers nearby :) Sometimes my rotten luck will let me have none of the rivers or just one tiny 1 tile river which sucks :D. Also I really can't judge a start untill I have AH and BW ;) Recently haven't rolled any really good ones but I wish You guys luck ! Can't wait to see Your El Dorado's :D

In my current game (see here), I got stone and marble in my initial BFC (along with wet corn and wet rice), a city site nearby with two golds, and nearby copper. Can anyone say wonder spam? Plus, I found a size-5 barb city defended by only one archer!

Emphasis on silly:

Spoiler :

My most recent game. Nice that it was with a financial leader.

No pic, but I managed to screw up a 5 gems + stone start as Catherine at Emperor.
(No incident, starting locations with gems seem to go wrong often. :()

In my current game (see here), I got stone and marble in my initial BFC (along with wet corn and wet rice), a city site nearby with two golds, and nearby copper. Can anyone say wonder spam? Plus, I found a size-5 barb city defended by only one archer!

Stone and Marble in the first city bfc ! Wondeeer-Spam !!!! :D ;)

Had a silly start earlier today (overwrote to initial save sorry!).

Cyrus/Pangaea

Double Gold, wet corn and copper in BFC. Plus Stone. And Horses just outside the BFC in easy reach of a 2nd city.

Needless to say it was a rather easy map on Imm, I haven't done a Knight rush in oh so long....especially where the AI doesn't have Feudalism, nevermind Eng.

1200-something Conquest.

If only all random starts could be like that....

I was thinking recently, what the best ever start will look like. BFC of 20 riverside corns?

Just curious. What is the best possible start?

Marble + Stone + Lots of River tiles (something like 12ish tiles of BFC was in a river delta) + coastal with 3 water tiles (trade routes are more important than many people notice or give them credit for...) + plenty of $$ resources in the surrounding 9-11 tile radius around spawn + Elizabeth on a huge Big-and-Small map.

Wonder-whore/tech like a madman to Industrial era and faceroll medieval units with Redcoats while Privateers rip apart their caravels and raid coastal settlements with impunity :D

I would settle the second city 1NW of the your chosen location. Closer to the cap. Can share some tiles, you have plenty of floodplains to make up for the one lost.

And that way, I don't lose as much to the mountains. Good idea! I saved that start, but I haven't played it yet. Hmmm...

I was thinking recently, what the best ever start will look like. BFC of 20 riverside corns?

Just curious. What is the best possible start?

You'd want some variety.

Let's see... 21 spots total, including the city square.

City square should be stone plains hills obiously.
a deer/forest/plains/hills nearby for 9 turn worker and a good 3 hammer/3 food spot later.
You'd want at least three riverside corns, but I think more than that is overkill.
Throw in a riverside pig and a riverside wheat for more food and also another two health resources.

You'd want gold, silver, gems and fur. Need some early happiness resources to work all these awesome tiles, and you need commerce. The gold and silver can be on plains hills, gems could be on flat grassland, fur could be on plains/forest, Everything is on a river obviously.

You'd need marble and you'd also need copper and you'd need horses. Put the marble and copper plains/hills/river to give yourself a couple of really huge hammer squares if you need them, and put the horses on grassland/river so you can still grow while having hammers...

We've used 13 tiles so far. You'd probably want the other 7 to be forested so you have something for your workers to chop. I'd say put 4 of the forests on grassland/hills/river so you have some decent tiles to work afterwards. The other 3 forests can be on top of silk and spices.

Interesting start there. Food is on the coast and food negative golds inland too far for seafood. I'd try to share those golds between different cities, maybe even have 3 different cities working each gold and some food or farmed floodplains. Having more than one gold for one city will slow down the growth a lot. Of course it depends on scouting and if there are nice food resources near the golds.

The capital could also share some food, maybe city 3N1E.

I vaguely remember having an amazing start several games ago... but I ragequitted and deleted all saves after Bismarck (on the West) and Hannibal (from the East) declared war... after a protracted war with Julius Caesar.

Its been ages since I had a 6+ food resource start. Once I had a 7 or 8 legit food resource start because I started in a cluster of sugars plus corns.

Im not a fan of gold / gem starts, I want food for GP farm, like in the thread I made earlier, but that was Worldbuildered.

Interesting start there. Food is on the coast and food negative golds inland too far for seafood. I'd try to share those golds between different cities, maybe even have 3 different cities working each gold and some food or farmed floodplains. Having more than one gold for one city will slow down the growth a lot. Of course it depends on scouting and if there are nice food resources near the golds.

The capital could also share some food, maybe city 3N1E.
I restarted this one after I read your post. There was corn and rice near the gold hills. Sadly, it didn't turn out well. I ragequit after blowing an early war with Shaka, and I haven't gone back to the saves yet. I usually don't.

Its been ages since I had a 6+ food resource start. Once I had a 7 or 8 legit food resource start because I started in a cluster of sugars plus corns.

Im not a fan of gold / gem starts, I want food for GP farm, like in the thread I made earlier, but that was Worldbuildered.
I usually want my capital to be a production powerhouse, especially with Bureaucracy (which I often run late into the game). I usually designate another city to be my GP farm. And heck, what girl doesn't like gold and gems? :p

Top Bottom