Playing wide

twilson1972

Warlord
Hey all

Ive played about half a dozen games now, and have been lucky enough to win them all (difficulty: emperor mostly, although i won an immortal game as venice)

But:- venice aside, my games are all the same... settle 5 cities, then either push for a tech that gives a military advantage and go to war, or beeline edu/scientific and head into space

I tend to go tradition/ some commerce (exploration on water maps) rationalism and then freedom for spaceship purchase

But i miss the big sprawling empires of old versions of civ

How viable is a peaceful wide game on say emp? and what policies do people go for?
and are there any maps/civs that come to mind?

I just want some variation really, and to build an old fashioned massive empire, but by 5 or 6 cities it seems unfavorable to settle more

Thanks

Do you ever try for non-science victories? It can be really fun to play for a Domination victory.

That way you'll end up with a wide empire whichever path you take. You can also stop part of the way towards total domination and push ahead with Science or Culture anyway.

My favourite way of playing is either total Domination with Honor, Commerce and Autocracy, or to go Liberty into Aesthetics and go for a wide culture game.

There are a ton of different strategies you can explore. Piety diplomatic, even. Just have a look at the last 10 pages of threads on Strategy and Tips and you'll find a load!

Good luck :)

Do you ever try for non-science victories? It can be really fun to play for a Domination victory.

That way you'll end up with a wide empire whichever path you take. You can also stop part of the way towards total domination and push ahead with Science or Culture anyway.

My favourite way of playing is either total Domination with Honor, Commerce and Autocracy, or to go Liberty into Aesthetics and go for a wide culture game.

There are a ton of different strategies you can explore. Piety diplomatic, even. Just have a look at the last 10 pages of threads on Strategy and Tips and you'll find a load!

Good luck :)

Yeh my first emperor game i gave myself good odds as it was my 2nd game of civ v (england archipelago)- i just went asap to navigation and finished quite early, i did domination with poland pangea too.

I will try a culture win, ive not really paid much attention to culture other than to unlock SP thanks,...

Top Bottom