The Library

The Strategos

Thanatos
I thought it might be helpful for some people to have a list of books, articles, documentaries, and other media which are useful to NESers and NESing. Feel free to make suggestions for additions and I will edit them in.

Rules:
-Submissions to the list must be made in this thread
-I will add everything that is submitted but I reserve the right to add any negative or positive comments in addition to the title
-I realize that not everyone is university level here, so feel free to add helpful non-university level books

Disclaimer: I've compiled this list from recommendations and make no claim to have read all these books. If you think one of the books listed below are worthless, let me know and I will put a warning next to it.

Culture and Arts
Economy
General History
Geography
Military and War
Politics, Government, and Diplomacy
Religion, Spirituality, and Philosophy

General​
-Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty by Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson [pole475]. Not very good; overly narrow focus on institutions; it's case studies don't gel well with What Actually Happened;economics is also shaky as hell [Masada]

-David Rumsey Map Collection: http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/RUMSEY~8~1. Collection of historical maps (as in antique maps not historical borders created on modern maps) viewable online.

-Cartoon History of the World by Gonick. "Fun reads" (dachs) and "very helpful in brewing up readable updates" (terrance) though "gets a lot of the details wrong" (dachs). As a personal preference, I (Strat) don't know if I would suggest modeling updates after the style, I prefer less snark and comedy in my updates, but again that is personal preference.

-The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. Argues that all important myths share a fundamental structure. Influenced George Lucas for those who care about those things.

-State of Exception by Giorgio Agamben. Political theory; if nothing else the chapter on auctoritas and potestas is worth a look.

-History of Religious Ideas 3 volumes by Mircea Eliade Covers from stone age to the Christian reformation. I will admit to having no first-hand knowledge of this book, but Mircea Eliade is the key figure in the study of religion, so really any of his books (and there are a lot, The Sacred and The Profane might be a good place to start) are generally considered solid reads. As a warning, he does tend to overgeneralize and is more interested in similarities than differences among religions.

-How Enemies Become Friends: The Sources of Stable Peace by Kupchan. The book I am sure Iggy wishes all of his neighbors would read.

-Man, the State, and War by Kenneth Waltz. Attempts to create a theoretical framework to explain "why war" and "why peace."

- The Art of War in the Western World by Archer Jones. From the Greeks to the present, with a focus not so much on campaign details, but on the overarching strategy, logistics, and tactics.

-World History of Warfare by Archer, Ferris, Herwig, Travers: Covers many aspects of warfare with a timeline covering Ancient Egypt to the Vietnam war.

-After Victory: Institutions, Strategic Restraint, and the Rebuilding of Order After Major Wars by Ikenberry. Strategic restraint, among NESers?

-A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World by Clark. It has a chapter called "The Sixteen-Page Economic History of the World," where else can you get an economic history of the world in sixteen pages! Also Masada thinks it is awful.

-Encyclopedia of Warfare by Gilbert. This was mentioned on a previous thread, I know nothing about it. I see in 2013 there is another Encyclopedia of Warfare by Showalter published, I also don't know if that is an update of this work or a completely separate work.

-The Machiavellians James Burnham. For all you Machiavellian wanna-bes.

-Harper Encyclopedia of Military History: From 3500 BC to the Present by Richard Ernest Dupuy and Trevor N. Dupuy

-On the Origins of War and the Preservation of Peaceby Donald Kagan

-Anatomy of Revolution by Crane Brinton. A comparative study on English, American, French, and Russian revolution which are used to construct a framework that all revolutions are said to follow.

-Politics Among Nations by Hans Morgenthau. Origins of "realism" in international relations

-Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

-Africa: Biography of the Continent by Reader. General history of Africa from prehistory to present.

-A History of Cambodia by David Chandler

-The Art of Not Being Governed: An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia by James Scott.

-Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism by Benedict Anderson

-Ritual Theory, Ritual Practice by Catherine Bell. For most of human history, one of the most foundational elements to human living were rituals. Ritual theory is the field of study of rituals and Catherine Bell is one of the foremost ritual theory experts. For a book written explicitly as an introduction to the field see Beginnings in Ritual Studies by Ronald Grimes.

-Economy and Society: An Outline of Interpretive Sociology by Max Weber. I put this one as society rather than economic because the key aspect to this book is his discourse on authority.

Chinese Civilization: A Sourcebook edited by Patricia Buckley Ebrey is a sparse collection of primary sources from throughout Chinese history. Not specific to any time period and serves primarily as a window into a changing China. Useful if you can pick it up for a few bucks and have an interest in the material. [Luckymoose]

Prehistory-500BCE​
Primary

- Before the Muses: An Anthology of Akkadian Literature by Benjamin Foster. Your one-stop shop for all Akkadian primary source literature (over 1,000 pages covering hymns, magic, poetry, myths, etc.)

-Mahabharata . Sanskrit epic

-Vedas

-Dao De Jing (Or is it Tao Te Ching? I am not up on what the most recent accepted spelling is)

-Ancient Egyptian Literature Three Volumes by Miriam Lichtheim. Probably the most accessible anthology of Egyptian literature from its beginning to the Christina era.

-Tanakh Jewish Scriptures (Christian Old Testament). Recommend a Jewish translation (Artscroll, Jewish Publication Society). The Archeological Study Bible is okay, it has some helpful cultural/historical notes on how Tanakh fits into its Ancient Near Eastern background, though it is highly biased. NET Bible (which also has a full text online) is good for if you really care about translation issues, though it again is biased.

-Stories from Ancient Canaan Michael Coogan and Mark Smith. Ugaritic primary text, slightly more beginner friendly than the more comprehensive Ugaritic Narrative Poetryedited by Simon parker.

-The Amarna Letters by William Moran (though you should be able to get older translations online full text). Primary source ~1350BCE of diplomacy between Egypt and its various vassals.

- The Context of Scripture 3 volumes by William Hallo and K. Lawson Younger Jr. Anthology of Ancient Near Eastern Texts. Despite what the name might suggest, contains more than just religious Ancient Near Eastern primary texts.

-The Art of War by Sun Tzu. If you want pure military strategy, you are better off reading something else. Value is as a primary source.

-Epic of Gilgamesh Sumerian/Mesopotamian epic.

-Illiad/Odyssey by Homer. It used to be a man could not call himself educated unless he had read Homer.

Secondary

-Amarna diplomacy : the beginnings of international relations, edited by Raymond Cohen and Raymond Westbrook

- The origins of war: from the Stone Age to Alexander the Great by Arther Ferrill. As the title suggests.

-Warfare in the Ancient Near East to 1600 BC by Hamblin

-Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy by Mircea Eliade. Technically looks at the entirety of the history of shamanism, but I put it in this category because unless you are playing some strange isolated tribal-state in a historical NES, you are more likely to be interested in the book for fresh starts.

-Warfare in the Ancient World by Brian Todd Carey, Joshua B. Allfree and John Cairns

500BCE-500CE​
Primary

-Classical texts: Let us be honest, there are a lot of classical texts; I am not going to bother listing every extant classical text. Loeb has many of them if you just want to browse. From now on I'll just link them when people mention them. List 1.

-Oedipus Rex by Sophocles; The Wasps by Aristophanes

-Ramayana: Sanskrit epic

-Bhagavad-Gita

-Analects by Confucius

-The Republic by Plato

-Confessions by Augustine. City of God, his anti-Pelagian writings, and On the Trinity are more significant for understanding later Christian developments, but Confessions is a more beginner friendly text, as well as important in its own right.

-The Histories by Herodotus. Considered the "Father" of history

-On Natural Faculties, Method of Medicine by Galen; Hippocratic Corpus by Hippocrates; Galen was the most famous Roman physician and influential through the Renaissance while Hippocrates is considered the "father of western medicine"

-Anabasis by Xenophon.

- Commentaries on the Gallic War by Caesar

-De Oratore; De re publica; De Divinatione; De Natura Deorum by Cicero

-Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle

-Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts edited by Luck. Collection of Magical texts from the eighth century BCE through the fourth century CE. An alternate anthology of magical texts is Magic, Witchcraft and Ghosts in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Sourcebook by Daniel Ogden. Papyri Graecae Magicae are used by a lot of scholars, Betz has a translation.

-The Ancient Mysteries: A Sourcebook of Sacred Texts edited by Marvin W. Meyer. Sourcebook for the so-called "mystery regions" that sprung up throughout the Greco-Roman world.

-Talmud Most important text for understanding Judaism next to Tanakh. The Penguin Classics abridged version should be fine for NESing purposes since unabridged it runs 22 volumes or more depending upon the version you get.

-Metamorphoses by Ovid. A collection of Greco-Roman myths usually revolving around the theme of "change."

Secondary

-Alexander to Actium: The Historical Evolution of the Hellenistic Age by Peter Green. General history of Alexander and his Hellenistic successors.

-Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West, 376-568 by Guy Halsall. The foremost challenger to the common narrative that Rome fell because of barbarian migrations.

-Warfare And Society in the Barbarian West, 450-900 by Guy Halsall

-The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000 by Chris Wickham. General history of Europe in the Not-so-Dark Ages.

-A History of Byzantine State and Society by Warren Treadgold. General history of Eastern Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Constantinople, whatever you want to call it, from 285-1461 CE.

-Warfare in the Ancient World by Brian Todd Carey, Joshua B. Allfree and John Cairns

-Religions of the Ancient World: A Guide edited by Sarah Iles Johnston. Unfortunately it is using "Ancient World" in the Western academic sense referring to Ancient Near East and Greco-Roman world, so no discussion of India, China, etc. For Mediterranean religions, however, it is hard to beat.

-Power and Persuasion in Late Antiquity: Towards a Christian Empire by Peter Brown. Peter Brown is basically the father of the field of "Late Antiquity" In this book he says a lot of good and interesting things on the nature of authority, most specifically non-governmental authority.

-The Search for the Origins of Christian Worship by Paul Bradshaw. I included this one because it gives insight into how religious rituals change/evolve in its early years and Bradshaw is basically the giant of the field who revolutionized how people discuss early Christian rituals.

-Athanasius and Constantius: Theology and Politics in the Constantinian Empire by Timothy Barnes. Might be a little more detailed for those unfamiliar with the time period, but an interesting look at the interplay between religious and political authority.

Culture and Arts
Economy
General History
Geography
Military and War

500-1500CE​
Primary
-Song of Roland French epic poem

-Qu'ran

-Le Morte d'Arthur by Malory

-The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. If you like Canterbury Tales, you might also enjoy the earlier Decameron by Boccaccio

-Divine Comedy by Dante

Secondary

-Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West, 376-568 by Guy Halsall. The foremost challenger to the common narrative that Rome fell because of barbarian migrations.

-Warfare And Society in the Barbarian West, 450-900 by Guy Halsall

-The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000 by Chris Wickham. General history of Europe in the Not-so-Dark Ages.

-A History of Byzantine State and Society by Warren Treadgold. General history of Eastern Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Constantinople, whatever you want to call it, from 285-1461 CE.

-Pursuit of Power: Technology, Armed force and Society since AD 1000 by William McNeill

-The Making of Byzantium, 600-1025 by Mark Whittow. Another Byzantium book with a little more focus on its neighbors.

-A History of Early Southeast Asia: Maritime Trade and Societal Development, 100-1500 by Kenneth R. Hall.

-Warfare in the Medieval World by Brian Todd Carey, Joshua B. Allfee and John Cairns

-When China Ruled the Seas by Louise Levathes. Book describing Chinese maritime history from 1405-33 CE.

-Power and Plenty: Trade, War, and the World Economy in the Second Millennium by Findlay & O'Rourke. An economic history specializing in trade covering 1000-2000CE

-Before European Hegemony: The World System A.D. 1250-1350 by Abu-Lughod. Argues that the modern economic system is based on the thirteenth century economic system.

-The Crusades: A History by Jonathan Riley Smith "A wonderful general history of the crusading movement from the opening to the close, with final chapters devoted to 17th and 18th centuries and historiography. Totally would recommend it as an introduction to crusades history." [Luckymoose]

-Southeast Asia in the Age of Commerce, 1450-1680 2 Volumes by Anthony Reid.

-The Indianized States of Southeast Asia by George Cœdès. History of South East Asia.

-A History of Modern Indonesia Since c. 1200 by M.C. Ricklefs

-1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles Mann. Book on what the Americas looked like before Columbus "discovered" them.

1500-1830CE​
Primary
-The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli. One of those books that is of more value as a primary source than as a general guideline for approaching politics and governance.

-On the Social Contract by Jean-Jacques Rousseau

-Don Quixote by Cervantes

-The Federalist Papers and The Anti-Federalist Papers Collection of essays revolving around early American debates on the nature the Constitution (and by extension the form of the US government)

-Education of a Christian Prince by Erasmus. An interesting counter-point to Machiavelli written by a contemporary.

-Freedom of the Will/On the Bondage of the Will by Erasmus and Luther. In the beginnings of the reformation, Luther and Erasmus had a back-and-forth on the issue of human free will. Luther considered his treatise the best work he ever wrote and Erasmus the only one who truly understood the issues Luther was trying to raise in the Reformation.

-On War by Carl von Clausewitz. One of the, if not the most important book on military theory ever written.

-Religion in America, Volume I: Primary Sources in U.S History by James T. Baker. This is just a bunch of documents: letters, speeches, sermons, canon, etc. that happened in colonial and pre-20th century America. Worth having a copy of it and the second volume.

Secondary

-Power and Plenty: Trade, War, and the World Economy in the Second Millennium by Findlay & O'Rourke. An economic history specializing in trade covering 1000-2000CE

-The Struggle for Power in Early Modern Europe: Religious Conflict, Dynastic Empires, and International Change by Nexon. Explores the role of transnational religion in destabilizing states in early modern Europe

-Southeast Asia in the Age of Commerce, 1450-1680 2 Volumes by Anthony Reid.

-The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy. Examines the interplay between economics and military might which causes nations to become/cease to be "great powers."

-China Marches West: The Qing Conquest of Central Eurasia, Peter C. Perdue. History of the expansion of China in the northwest by the Qing from 1600 to 1800

-The Search for Modern China by Jonathan D. Spence. Introductory history of "modern" China 1600-Present.

-Mosquito Empires: Ecology and War in the Greater Caribbean, 1620-1914 by J. R. McNeill. Explores the role that diseases (cf. yellow fever and malaria) played in creating, maintaining, and destroying empires in the Greater Caribbean.

-Great Power Diplomacy: 1814-1914 by Norman Rich

-The Thirty Years War by C. V. Wedgwood

-The Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler

-The Transformation of European Politics, 1763-1848 by Paul Schroeder. Schroeder basically wrote the bible of Napoleonic era diplomacy and also made one of the biggest contributions to peace studies and theory of the last few decades in the process.

-The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy

-The Birth of the Modern World, 1780-1914 by Bayly. A "globalized" view of the period.

-Pursuit of Power: Technology, Armed force and Society since AD 1000 by William McNeill

-Rape and Sexual Power in Early America by Sharon Block and Sexual Revolution in Early America by Richard Godbeer are two complementary works on everything from, yes, sexuality to marriage and society in the home at large in colonial America.

-Women of the Republic: Intellect and Ideology in Revolutionary America by Linda K. Kerber. "Should be required reading for any historian" [Luckymoose]

-Manhood in America: A Cultural History by Michael Kimmel. "An examination of the oft ignored male in gender studies. It goes into detail on a lot of topics, particularly from industrialization forward on how men are perceived in society. It is a good counterweight to the constant drivel of feminists out there. This is best read with Kerber nearby. If you never read another book from my recommendations, read this. It will drastically alter your perception on masculinity vs femininity in American history." [Luckymoose]

-The Precisianist Strain: Disciplinary Religion and Antinomian Backlash in Puritanism to 1638 by Theodore D. Bozeman. "Less important on the whole, but totally worth slogging through the dry writing" [Luckymoose]

Japan: A Modern History by James L. McClain is my favorite survey of Japanese history from Ieyasu forward. It focuses more on the economy and society, from my memory of it, than it does the political side, which may or may not be to your liking. Book is cheap used and very well-narrated. [Luckymoose]

Emperor Qianlong: Son of Heaven, Man of the World by Mark C. Elliot is just a great book on Qianlong, probably the best biography there is actually. The book is short, but thorough and engaging. It covers his personal life as well as the well-known history of this emperor and the Qing throughout, and immediately before and after his reign years. [Luckymoose]

Culture and Arts
Economy
General History
Geography
Military and War

1830-Present​
Primary

-Strategy by Liddell Hart. A military theorist between World War I and II. Though primarily concerned with modern warfare, gives principles which can be adapted to earlier warfare.

-Small Wars: Their Principles & Practice by Callwell. Written by a British soldier as a synthesis of the lessons learned (or should have learned) by the British army during it's many "colonial" wars in North America, Africa, and Asia.

-First Vatican Council. You can find the decrees of the First Vatican Council in print or online. The more well known decree is Pastor aeternus which lays out papal infallibility.

-On the Origins of Species by Charles Darwin

-Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche. If you are unfamiliar with Nietzsche you'll want to start with an intro, Nietzsche: A Very Short Introduction by Michael Tanner is usually the one recommended.

-The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James. One of the more influential books in the study of religion. As a fair warning, he is really interested in individualized expressions of religion and so minimizes rituals and corporate expressions

-Through the Dark Continent by H.M. Stanley. A classic of exploration literature written by one of the most famous Victorian explorers. Be aware, however, that Stanley heavily edits (lies) in his supposedly factual account. A more "truthful" account can be found in The exploration diaries of H. M. Stanley which is his unpublished diaries.

-The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx, a basic reading for communist thought and language, published in 1848.

-Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, a fiction on the adaptation of an African society to colonial rule, along with the traditions and perspectives of Igbo (Nigeria) society, religion, and government.

-Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell, which details his experience in the Spanish Civil War, and examines the inter-faction politics/conflict between leftist organizations fighting fascism, as well as the nature of an under-equipped, under-trained militia force in stalemate.

Secondary

-The Birth of the Modern World, 1780-1914 by Bayly. A "globalized" view of the period.

-Ornamentalism: How the British Saw Their Empire by David Cannadine. Argues for the importance of class and social honors to the conception and maintenance of the British Empire.

-Ghosts of Empire: Britain's Legacies in the Modern World by Kwasi Kwarteng. Argues for the "improvisation" by local leaders in the British rule over its Empire

-Culture and Imperialism by Edward Said. While Orientalism is Said's most famous work, Culture and Imperialism is more directly applicable to NESing. In it, Said examines how literature helped construct and support the development of an imperial mindset which was used to justify the colonial enterprise.

-The Search for Modern China by Jonathan D. Spence. Introductory history of "modern" China 1600-Present.

-The First World War: Volume I: To Arms by Strachan. More than a military history of WWI, it incorporates the economic, political, and social dimensions to the war.

-Mosquito Empires: Ecology and War in the Greater Caribbean, 1620-1914 by J. R. McNeill. Explores the role that diseases (cf. yellow fever and malaria) played in creating, maintaining, and destroying empires in the Greater Caribbean.

-Peasants into Frenchmen: The Modernization of Rural France: 1870-1914 by Eugen Weber

-Great Power Diplomacy: 1814-1914 by Norman Rich

-The Struggle for Mastery in Europe: 1848-1918 by Alan J. P. Taylor

-The Wages of Destruction: The Making & Breaking of the Nazi Economy by Adam Tooze

-The Transformation of European Politics, 1763-1848 by Paul Schroeder. Schroeder basically wrote the bible of Napoleonic era diplomacy and also made one of the biggest contributions to peace studies and theory of the last few decades in the process.

-Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie

-A World At Arms by Gerhard L. Weinberg

-From Vienna to Versailles by L.C.B. Seaman. European international relations from 1850 to 1920.

-The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers by Paul Kennedy

-The Guns of August: The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Classic About the Outbreak of World War I by Barbara W. Tuchman and Robert K. Massie

-The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt. The foundational study on the rise of totalitarianism in Europe. As an aside, Arendt is a pretty influential philosopher of politics, so if you are interested in authority and such issues, she has other books that are worth checking out.

-From the Ruins of Empire: The Intellectuals Who Remade Asia by Pankaj Mishra

-Manhood in America: A Cultural History by Michael Kimmel. "An examination of the oft ignored male in gender studies. It goes into detail on a lot of topics, particularly from industrialization forward on how men are perceived in society. It is a good counterweight to the constant drivel of feminists out there. This is best read with Kerber nearby. If you never read another book from my recommendations, read this. It will drastically alter your perception on masculinity vs femininity in American history." [Luckymoose]

-The Age of Revolution: Europe 1789-1848; The Age of Capital: 1848-1875; The Age of Empire: 1875–1914; The Age of Extremes: the short twentieth century, 1914–1991 by Hobsbawm. "As a solid general/economic history of early modern to contemporary Europe, I recommend the quartet of books by Eric Hobsbawm. His was the first general history of Europe that I read, and it certainly influenced my understanding of events (Age of Extremes is probably the weakest of the quartet, because the author's Marxist views tend to make him fairly prejudicial on the Russian Revolution and especially from WWII on)." [Thlayli]

-Birth of the Modern World Society 1815-1830; Modern Times Revised Edition: The World from the Twenties to the Nineties by Paul Johnson "or a complementary Western right-wing perspective. More so the Birth of the Modern World Society 1815-1830 than Modern Times: The World from the [Nineteen] Twenties to the Nineties, though both are a very fun read if you can stomach them. I feel that he can serve as a useful counterpoint to Hobsbawm and other leftists, especially inasmuch as he steadfastly refuses to glorify revolutionaries. His books tend to be very well-researched, detailed and colourful, though perhaps a little too much so, and occasionally very moralising; it's usually very clear where his biases are, but that, to me at least, makes him a hell of a lot more interesting than he would have been otherwise. And even if you disagree with him entirely, he still fields a great amount of interesting quotes. 1815-1830 in particular is a good general portrait of a time period." [das]

-Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer "Actually a useful book. Inside look at the machinations of the Third Reich, specifically elements of its war economy, by the so-called 'Architect of the Third Reich'." [Crezth]

-The Long Arm of the US Strategic Bombing Survey - An overview of the USSBS' operations in the aftermath of WWII and its conclusions; of interest to industrial aerial operations, particularly strategic bombing. (Air Force Magazine) [Symphony D.]

-Near Failure at Nagasaki - How the second atomic bombing almost went very poorly; vaguely useful for understanding some aspects of early nuclear deployment. (Air Force Magazine) [Symphony D.]

-Fighting for Access - An overview of A2/AD challenges in play today, and possible USAF strategies in countering them; useful for an understanding of modern air defense challenges. (Air Force Magazine) [Symphony D.]

-Rethinking Air Dominance - The general importance of air superiority/dominance and ways of maintaining it a modern environment; complimentary to above. (Air Force Magazine) [Symphony D.]

-Ascendant Eagle - Overview of the history of the F-15; useful for understanding the difficulties in actual aircraft development, testing, procurement, and deployment, and correspondingly those of any other weapons system, as well as how platform capabilities can lead one astray (as with the F-4). (Air Force Magazine) [Symphony D.]

-Firsts in Flight - A general overview of manned flight before the Wright brothers. (Air Force Magazine) [Symphony D.]

-The Halt on the Elbe - Why Eisenhower did not advance on Berlin in WWII; of use to alternate histories and general historical understanding of the period. (Air Force Magazine) [Symphony D.]

-Rational Choice and British Politics by Iain McLean. In addition to interesting insights on some pivotal moments in British political history from Peel to Blair, it seems like it may be useful for trying to figure out this "representative democracy" thing some people are into and the clever hacks (from voting reform to William Riker's heresthetic) that skilled politicians have used to bend it to their needs. So, handy for modern NESes.[das]

-The Dark Valley: A Panorama of the 1930s, by Piers Brendon. "It was recommended to me by Dachs, and I really enjoyed it as an extremely effective aesthetic portrait of the decade." [Thlayli]

Japan: A Modern History by James L. McClain is my favorite survey of Japanese history from Ieyasu forward. It focuses more on the economy and society, from my memory of it, than it does the political side, which may or may not be to your liking. Book is cheap used and very well-narrated. [Luckymoose]

The Man Awakened from Dreams: One Man's Life in a North China Village 1857-1942 by Henrietta Harrison. The biography of one Liu Dapeng, a completely unimportant person on the large scale, but an interesting study into the life of a man who spent his entire youth preparing for the examinations of Qing China, failed, and then he spent the rest of his life under a system where his education was worthless. Heartbreaking, but informative to what happened to people like him under successive governments, including Japanese occupation, and his views on all of it. If you're a student striving for greatness, prepare to be saddened by his life. [Luckymoose]

From E=mc² to the atomic bomb - A short article on Einstein's equation and atomic weapon development; the main take away is that relativity and mass-to-energy equivalency are not necessary to develop, design, or deploy nuclear weapons, so even if that bit of physics were to lag behind (say in an alternate timeline), this would do little to nothing to prevent the development of nukes provided direct-use nuclear research proceeded apace. [Symphony D.]

Air Force Magazine: Seeing a Super-Bomb - An abbreviated version of the Frisch-Peierls Memorandum from 1940, demonstrating that radiation and fallout are obvious outcomes of a nuclear weapon even in theory, well before any practical measures are undertaken to construct a device, and would be in any conceivable situation where nuclear theory was sufficiently advanced to predict said device. [Symphony D.]

Air Force Magazine: AirLand Reversal - The notion that only land forces win wars is one born of a particular historical era; understanding that airpower can come to take a dominating role instead of a mere support role after a certain level of development is important in the era of precision weapons and beyond...[Symphony D.]

Air Force Magazine: Air Interdiction - ... As is understanding its shortcomings if and when either the military or political leadership misapplies it, just as with ground war. [Symphony D.]

Air Force Magazine: Roosevelt Builds the Arsenal - FDR and the US military-industrial complex in the leadup to WWII. Useful for history/alt-history. [Symphony D.]

Grim Economic Realities: Why Japan Really Lost The War - Military/economic overview of US and Japanese dispositions in WWII, with some additional data on the Axis and Allies. Useful for history/alt-history. [Symphony D.]

Germany First: The Basic Concept of Allied Strategy in World War II: The 90-Division Gamble - Chapter 15 of the book (the others can be accessed by changing 15 in the URL to 01, 02, etc.) details the intentional limiting of US military forces at 90 divisions. Useful for history/alt-history. [Symphony D.]

Foreign Policy foreignpolicy.com (owned by Washington Post) Self-described: "Foreign Policy is the leading international source for global news, providing an evolving network of world-leading insights and analysis coupled with rapidly expanding original reporting." [Immaculate]

Stratfor stratfor.com Self-described: "Stratfor is a geopolitical intelligence firm that provides strategic analysis and forecasting to individuals and organizations around the world. By placing global events in a geopolitical framework, we help customers anticipate opportunities and better understand international developments." [Immaculate] Masada holds a low opinion of Stratfor.

-Another America: The Story of Liberia and the Former Slaves who Ruled It by James Ciment "an in-depth history of Liberia from its initial settlement to Samuel Doe's coup in 1980, and doubles as a case study of this one nation in particular, and why it's what it is today." [SouthernKing]

Bonus: Speculative Future​

Future of War Essay Contest: Foreign Policy hosted an essay contest and published 27 of them. They awarded three prizes: First Prize, Second Prize, Third Prize.

Eclipse Phase - The core rulebook is available under Resources. It borrows a lot from Richard K. Morgan's sci-fi, but is a fairly nicely put together resource. [Symphony D.]

Transhuman Space - You'll have to look around for it, it's a bit outdated and sort of laughable in some areas, but again, it's decently well put together. [Symphony D.]

High Frontier - An interesting mechanically-driven boardgame about the colonization of the Solar System, High Frontier nonetheless gives it a pseudo-realistic look while still being transparently a game. [Symphony D.]

Orion's Arm Sprawling, sort of open-development, poorly organized, and often featuring terrible graphics, Orion's Arm nonetheless has some neat ideas here and there. [Symphony D.]

Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100 - Michio Kaku's latest book, it sometimes goes off the rails occasionally when he veers away from technology, but on technology it's fairly grounded if often vague. [Symphony D.]

Atomic Rockets - There is no better resource for future space technology, although it's all mostly focused on business-end stuff. [Symphony D.]

I like this idea. You should probably pick another colour for geography, yellow is hard to read. Suggestions:

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx, a basic reading for communist thought and language, published in 1848.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, a fiction on the adaptation of an African society to colonial rule, along with the traditions and perspectives of Igbo (Nigeria) society, religion, and government.

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell, which details his experience in the Spanish Civil War, and examines the inter-faction politics/conflict between leftist organizations fighting fascism, as well as the nature of an under-equipped, under-trained militia force in stalemate.

Great idea!

History of the Art of War by Hans Delbruck Vol 1 Antiquity
Pursuit of Power: Technology, Armed force and Society since AD 1000 by William McNeill

I'll offer a few from the top of my head to fill in gaps.

The Crusades: A History by Jonathan Riley Smith is a wonderful general history of the crusading movement from the opening to the close, with final chapters devoted to 17th and 18th centuries and historiography. Totally would recommend it as an introduction to crusades history.

Rape and Sexual Power in Early America by Sharon Block and Sexual Revolution in Early America by Richard Godbeer are two complementary works on everything from, yes, sexuality to marriage and society in the home at large in colonial America.

To really tie the lot together I would read Women of the Republic: Intellect and Ideology in Revolutionary America by Linda K. Kerber[1] and--less important on the whole, but totally worth slogging through the dry writing--The Precisianist Strain: Disciplinary Religion and Antinomian Backlash in Puritanism to 1638 by Theodore D. Bozeman.

The above can be complemented by Religion in America, Volume I: Primary Sources in U.S History by James T. Baker. This is just a bunch of documents: letters, speeches, sermons, canon, etc. that happened in colonial and pre-20th century America. Worth having a copy of it and the second volume.

Manhood in America: A Cultural History by Michael Kimmel is an examination of the oft ignored male in gender studies. It goes into detail on a lot of topics, particularly from industrialization forward on how men are perceived in society. It is a good counterweight to the constant drivel of feminists out there. This is best read with Kerber nearby. If you never read another book from my recommendations, read this. It will drastically alter your perception on masculinity vs femininity in American history.

Anyway, I just wanted to add some stuff I really enjoyed that isn't represented well in the list. I plan to make a much larger and more thorough contribution over the next day or two as I go through all my prior reading, though most of it will come from my own extensive library.

[1] Should be required reading for any historian, honestly.

Saw this a decided to look through some of my books, most of mine are probably too narrow of subject to be of us to most people but here's two of the more general books I could find:

World History of Warfare; Archer, Ferris, Herwig, Travers: Covers many aspects of warfare with a timeline covering Ancient Egypt to the Vietnam war.

Small Wars: Their Principles & Practice; Callwell: All you could ever want to know about how to wage colonial wars. Good for getting into the mindset of the tactics of the Imperial Age. I'd recommend this for anyone playing a great power in Crezth's NES

I'm going to go through more of my stacks and see if I can find anything else that might be of interest.

I like this, if you don't mind ill sub as a lurker for now. :D

-A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World by Clark.

Is awful.

J.K. Stockholme said:
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx, a basic reading for communist thought and language, published in 1848.

It's not a good introduction to Marxism. :(

From 8 CE:

Metamorphoses by Ovid. A collection of classical myths, stretching from the beginning of the world to the deification of Julius Caesar.

From 8 CE:

Metamorphoses by Ovid. A collection of classical myths, stretching from the beginning of the world to the deification of Julius Caesar.

On top of that, if you want a really comprehensive collection of Greek myths, the place to look is Apollodorus's Library (Oxford World Classics seems to be a good edition). I always find that more useful (and more readable actually) than the Metamorphoses.

While we're on that topic, the Guide to Greece by Pausanias (I forget its Greek title) is very useful for the minutiae of (southern) Greek geography. The Penguin edition has some not-bad maps and is inexpensive. The last volume of the Loeb edition basically consists of maps and illustrations, and as such is quite handy.

I remember the previous incarnation of this. I'll get my thoughts together on what else to add later, but in the meantime, if we're adding classics, Thucydides' The History of the Peloponnesian War should definitely have a place here too.

As a solid general/economic history of early modern to contemporary Europe, I recommend the quartet of books by Eric Hobsbawm. His was the first general history of Europe that I read, and it certainly influenced my understanding of events. (Age of Extremes is probably the weakest of the quartet, because the author's Marxist views tend to make him fairly prejudicial on the Russian Revolution and especially from WWII on.)

The Age of Revolution: Europe 1789-1848
The Age of Capital: 1848-1875
The Age of Empire: 1875–1914
The Age of Extremes: the short twentieth century, 1914–1991

I would of course add The Federalist Papers as an essential primary source to anyone seeking to understand the political theory underlying the American government.

I'll also add The Dark Valley: A Panorama of the 1930s, by Piers Brendon. It was recommended to me by Dachs, and I really enjoyed it as an extremely effective aesthetic portrait of the decade.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer - The go-to resource on all things Nazi Germany, The Rise and Fall provides an excellent history of Nazi Germany's precipitous ascent and disastrous fall. The book also provides useful insights into the origins of Nazi Germany's moral depravity - the same depravity that later brought about its downfall (specifically homosexuality).

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond - Arguably the most important book on history ever written, Guns, Germs, and Steel represents a comprehensive look at the entire history of the world. In perfect detail it flawlessly encapsulates the progress of human societies and shows us how inescapable and essential our modern world is today. Required reading for all NESers IMHO.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explains the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - Don't let the title fool you, this vital economic encyclopedia was written by two arch-economists. Economic behavior is human behavior (a well-known fact), and Freakonomics wisely breaks down all economics into the study of incentives. Economical voodoo happens because of incentives, so find the right incentives and you can mold the society you want. Extremely important reading for would-be country-leaders (I'm looking at you, NESers!).

The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand - An important essay that explains perfectly the moral destiny of each and every man - himself for his own sake. Understanding The Virtue of Selfishness means understanding humanity, especially it's most important part: humanity.

Fascinating Womanhood by Helen Andelin - Tired? Shagged out? Sick of trying to make it as a woman in a man's world? Don't bother! Fascinating Womanhood provides a sensible alternative to that foolish unshaved women's liberation balderdash: submission. Citing historical examples (thus making it a history book and therefore beyond contempt), Fascinating Womanhood makes the case for the traditional family structures, and implicitly warns that moving away from this sows the seeds of inevitable societal "mega-destruction."

---

Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer - Actually a useful book. Inside look at the machinations of the Third Reich, specifically elements of its war economy, by the so-called "Architect of the Third Reich."

I remember the previous incarnation of this. I'll get my thoughts together on what else to add later, but in the meantime, if we're adding classics, Thucydides' The History of the Peloponnesian War should definitely have a place here too.

The other important classical historians that spring to mind are:

- Herodotus (Histories; important for the Persian wars),
- Xenophon (Hellenica, pub. Penguin as "A History of my Times"; important for 411-362),
- Diodorus Siculus (Library of History, pub. Loeb; useful for the fifth and fourth centuries especially),
- Polybius (Histories, pub. Loeb; important for the Hellenistic period and the Second Punic War),
- Livy (Ab Urbe Condita; important for early Roman history up to the middle Republic),
- Dio Cassius (Roman History, pub. Loeb; Roman history - quite interesting on the late Republic),
- Tacitus (Annals - about the early emperors - primarily, but also Histories - about the Year of the Four Emperors - and other more minor works.

- Aristophanes (various comedies, but especially Acharnians and Knights, set in the Peloponnesian War), Plutarch (Lives), and Cicero (the Letters and the political speeches; very important for the Late Republic) are also of major importance as historical sources.

Despite the fact that Crezth is obviously trolling, Guns, Germs, and Steel is actually a pretty good book when you use it for, you know, anthropology, since it's not supposed to be a history book. It's fairly useful for NESing, as long as you take parts of it (particularly the afterward) with a grain of salt.

I'll post actual recommendations whenever I finish my update, etc.

As a solid general/economic history of early modern to contemporary Europe, I recommend the quartet of books by Eric Hobsbawm. His was the first general history of Europe that I read, and it certainly influenced my understanding of events. (Age of Extremes is probably the weakest of the quartet, because the author's Marxist views tend to make him fairly prejudicial on the Russian Revolution and especially from WWII on.)

The Age of Revolution: Europe 1789-1848
The Age of Capital: 1848-1875
The Age of Empire: 1875–1914
The Age of Extremes: the short twentieth century, 1914–1991

I would of course add The Federalist Papers as an essential primary source to anyone seeking to understand the political theory underlying the American government.

I'll also add The Dark Valley: A Panorama of the 1930s, by Piers Brendon. It was recommended to me by Dachs, and I really enjoyed it as an extremely effective aesthetic portrait of the decade.

In that case I'll antagonise any present left-wingers (i.e. all but two of you? :p) by suggesting Paul Johnson for a complementary Western right-wing perspective. More so the Birth of the Modern World Society 1815-1830 than Modern Times: The World from the [Nineteen] Twenties to the Nineties, though both are a very fun read if you can stomach them. I feel that he can serve as a useful counterpoint to Hobsbawm and other leftists, especially inasmuch as he steadfastly refuses to glorify revolutionaries. His books tend to be very well-researched, detailed and colourful, though perhaps a little too much so, and occasionally very moralising; it's usually very clear where his biases are, but that, to me at least, makes him a hell of a lot more interesting than he would have been otherwise. And even if you disagree with him entirely, he still fields a great amount of interesting quotes. 1815-1830 in particular is a good general portrait of a time period.

Also, shouldn't this be stickied?

Top Bottom