When to consolidate?

twilson1972

Warlord
Hey all

Im just curious at what point you stpp and take stock of gains and develop annexed cities? or wether you puppet/raze most cities?

On my last game (emperor) i got an absolutely amazing start (marble and 3 salt in capital, 2 gold and lots of seafood for 2nd city), i bee lined navigation and let rip with SOTL and privateers.

The result is its 1000AD and i only have 4 opponents with their capitals left (out of 8), ive taken two cities, puppet ed 2 and razed 2

I have a fairly large navy (9 SOTL, 7 Privateers on standard map) and could probably take out another civ at least, but i am hitting happiness problems now, and i have undeveloped cities and my navy cant protect everywhere

The ai are just started to get their frigates online now, but my SOTL are superior. I have to admit i have considered just putting every city building privateers/SOTL.

Do you tend to warmonger until your advantage goes?

Or do you take the hint when happiness hits 2/0?

Thanks

If I'm going for a DomV, then yes, the idea is to press hard all the while my units have the edge, and take breathers and concentrate on growth/tech/happiness when I lose that edge.

I don't know when 1000AD is, but if you have the domination advantage, don't hold back, just let them have it. The less cities they have, the more easily you will hold onto that advantage. Don't worry about happiness as long as it doesn't go below -10 for long.

As for razing, it's routine for me unless the city has public school, or decent wonders (most are not worth it for DomV) or a strategic location.

If I'm going for a DomV, then yes, the idea is to press hard all the while my units have the edge, and take breathers and concentrate on growth/tech/happiness when I lose that edge.

I don't know when 1000AD is, but if you have the domination advantage, don't hold back, just let them have it. The less cities they have, the more easily you will hold onto that advantage. Don't worry about happiness as long as it doesn't go below -10 for long.

As for razing, it's routine for me unless the city has public school, or decent wonders (most are not worth it for DomV) or a strategic location.

In the end i just put every city building naval units, i was just concerned about losing out tech wise.

I used to crash my economy if i was too aggressive on BTS- that doesnt seem to be so much of an issue here.

One tip I can give you about keeping the economy in great shape is to fill up Honor and Commerce

if you have such a navy and there are a lot of cities to be taken, yeah go mad absolutely. Coastal cities are very easy to capture and you can trick the AI into focusing their military nearby to try and retake it at which point you move everyone back and shoot with SotLs until everyone's dead. Then keep some of the cities as a foothold or bring down the house if there happen to be red angry faces inside :)

Top Bottom