MilarNES: Birth of A Civilization

My orders are written.. I just need to get a link so to be sure you understand my joke.. sadly college blocks youtube til 5pm so you will have to wait a till then! :D

Brundagana's conquests reaped many rewards for them, including new land. The nearby competing cities of Quelimane and Sofala were added to Brundagana. They were on the rise, but Brundagana's wealth still was more than Quelimane and Sofala. The other cities did not have an organized army like Brundagana, and so, they were conquered and added to the Republic. It looked like Quelimane and Sofala would decline in importance to Brundagana. However, the fishing trade strengthened them more than anything. With fire, the Triumvirate was born: Brundagana being the largest, while Quelimane and Sofala on each side. With these three cities, Brundagana grew to be one of the richest countries in the area.

One day, a man was at the beach of Brundagana, taking a leisurely swim when he had brought a large stick with meat on the end in. A fish almost immediately bit. With it, the man decided to bring it home for dinner. He had found that fish was very delectable when cooked. He had called it fishing and shared his discovery to the world. This new way for food soon reached the Zambezi River and spread across the empire. Instead of a stick, the man decided to tie an ordinary piece of string with a hook to attract the creatures. But as the man was swimming, he found another creature that was not to be eaten:

They were known as very loving, amicable creatures. The dolphin soon became the national symbol of Brundagana, being known as beautiful and caring: just like the nation itself.

And soon, the man developing the fishing decided to create a structure to fish on the water. This was called the Oarship, after the paddles used to steer with. Another man, however, had decided that there had to be fish farther east. He brought many supplies and many settlers on a large oarship. He had sailed from Quelimane and was off. However, he did not find fish, but he found something else that would help Brundagana.

Orders sent. I assume all is ok with them?

Well, a CP is (as some might have guessed) a Culture Point.

As for the orders, so far I have:
Gaulic Conf.
Rome
Seri
Inca Empire
Brundagana
Singodia (yeah, this time it worked well)
Damietta.

The rest, you still have 2 days and a half, but don't get lazy.

OK, Charles. So far, everyone is doing pretty well with the orders.

EDIT: erez, I have changed the stats of Rome so that the Free Tech you asked for is included in there, as well as any effects it might have caused.

@Everybody: Middle Ages Techs are nearly complete, only need description of the last tech. I still don't have any ideas for what I asked for before. Don't be scared to make suggestions for the game, as I very much welcome your ideas.

Here is my story. Made just for entertainment.

Fishing, Slingers, and of course the Gods

The new Patriarch of Damietta stood in front of the large crowd. There were more people in Damietta than ever. They were all much more healthier to. Who would've thought that fish could change our lives so much. Among the crowd he could also see slingers, a new type of soldiers that attacked by using a leather sling to toss stones.

Now of course the Patriarch couldn't tell the actual story of how fishing was founded or how slingers were created. A legend with the Gods intervening had to be made. According to legend the story started like this:

The strongest storm in history had just struck the lands of Damietta. The people were in their houses. Waves were tearing the land apart, and the Nile was flooding the lands and destroying the crops. The storm lasted through the night, but morning eventually came.

Morning wasn't pleasant. In fact it was a disaster. Rubble seemed to be everywhere. The people looked for someone to blame, and the priests that claimed to have contact with the Gods were perfect targets. The priests just said it was punishments for their sins. But the people were getting tired of it. Before tensions rose too high a young boy exploring the coasts found something quite interesting. A boat. The boy ran to his family and they gathered people to explore. They found strange sorts of contraptions from rope tied together into a net, to a small metal hook on the end of a string attached to a pole. But the most interesting thing they found was a man.

A man with light skin. A man who could not speak their language. A man who knew nothing of them. A man who would save them.

The priests saw this as an advantage saying this man was divine and here to help them. The man of course was just a commoner in his land. Just a common fisherman but here he was the son of the God of the Sea. He embraced the thought without even considering the consequences. He became the center of many religious festivals, and took many wives and even resided in the temple of the priests being given authority much higher than the patriarch. But this would soon end.

When the festivals stopped the people became hungry. Their crops being destroyed by the storm and game was becoming harder to find and harder to catch with the people becoming more reliant on agriculture. The man was becoming less popular and more people started to doubt him. Now he knew he needed to do something and help the people or suffer the punishment of claiming to be a God.

This is where the Gods step in. The two old Gods. Medirris of the Sea, and Ethopi of the Air. The two old Gods loved games and gambling and when they heard a mortal was claiming to be the son of Medirris they knew this could help them escape the eternal boredom of Godsland. They made a bet. Ethopi claimed the mortal would never help the people, while Medirris claimed that the man would save the people.

The man of course knew nothing of the bets the Gods made, decided to run away for it seemed much better than staying and hoping for a miracle. Instead of running North to the beach he ran south for he promised never to go back to the common life of being a fisherman. At where the Nile delta began he stood and tried to make a decision of whether to risk swimming across or making a boat but then risk being discovered by the people.

The Gods got bored of his decision making and decided to help. Ethopi made a boat appear for him. The man saw the boat and without hesitation jumped in it and set out South to escape. Medirris did not give up and caused the Nile to flood and send the waters heading north, forcing the man back. Fish were also sent North. The only other person watching this was the small boy that discovered the boat where the man originally came to Damietta in. Medirris took advantage of this and with his powers created a net for the man and then calmed the waters of the Nile.

The man finally realized how to help the people. That his entire life he had been a fisherman. He had been providing food for his people and even though it was only a commoners life it was a vital part for his civilization. He threw his net out and caught fish and fed the people of Damietta. Ethopi having lost his bet gave Medirris his special soldiers known as the slingers. Medirris gave these as a gift to the people of Damietta. The man soon died, but in the afterlife Medirris adopted him as his son named Mediri.

The young boy who discovered the boat and witnessed the man fishing became the Patriarch of Damietta that has told and created this story.

The Scrolls of Order are, of all the Holy Scriptures, the least organised. When writing was invented (a lot later), everything was written down. Before writing, a whole caste of Priest-wardens, called the Rememberers, were employed to remember everything. He is a selection of some of the laws, with some rules from the Scrolls of Faith. A lot of stuff is repeated throughout the Holy Scriptures.

All deaths are punished by banishment. (Banishment was the worst punishment they had. Essentialy, they were forced out of the settlement, never to return. If that wan't bad enough, it was thought they became orang-utans instead of dying, and would only die if their orang-utan self died.)

All sexual crimes (aldultry, rape, sex before marriage) are punished by marriage. (Although you could only marry one person of your own free will, the Priest-wardens had the power to join any two persons together. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this kept the number of rapes down.)

Assualt (common, ABH, GBH) to persons or dometicated animals is punished by public humiliation. (This is handed out on case by case basis, depending on the severity of the crime and the criminal's social standing)

Damage to property and theft is punished by a fine, depending on the severity of the damage and/or whatever was stolen. It is preferable if whatever was stolen/damaged was replaced.

There are also a lot customs throughout the Scrolls of Order and Faith. Here are a select few.

The Ka'v Idvisa's will not have his name sullied with pronouns.

Corpses are considered the property of the closest family member. If they are not available, the closest friend.

Much like the communal toilets in OTL Rome, Communal masterbation is allowed.

Priest-wardens usually have the last word on everything. However, those who abuse their power, however they do it, are banished.

There are a lot more customs and laws, a lot of them contradictory to these. That is becuase everything is kept and remembered. The general rule of thumb 'The later law is.'

revised orders sending in next 10 mins

A Warchief’s Tale
Night Fire 3
Killer of the Pulse, Receiver of Freedom

The great glorious sun set again. Rul shook the embers in the ashand stuck an greasy ‘Fire Bouncer’ oak twigs into the embers. As the fire flared he stuck another chunk of wood, this time with holes in the middle, on it. He almost suffocated the fire but then poked the ashes again. As the fire stabilized he sighed a breath of relief. He went out to gather the young ones.

He said, “This is only for those who killed their first rabbit, I will tell the full story to them. For you young ones, I will tell you what happened.

He went out and found a man, he killed him and stole the man’s raft. Going south he found his clan in chaos.

Fighting a few years, he and his small elite guard defeated the pretenders and unified the Clan of Kirti. Becoming a dominant force in the Darali he, using his story, convinced them to have him lead ships and other chiefs to defeat the north for not only revenge but fishing and trade.

That is when this part ends. You may go out.”

After the final children went out, he started the real story…

Out into the woods he stumbled, preparing for the guard. He wrung his hands and popped his knuckles. The guard walked toward on the path. He can see the raft ahead. He saw the guard when he saw them and they both yelled in the darkness.

They ran at each other, what happened next we don’t know, but after a brutal clash Kirti held the club.

The Guard took out his knife, his hair matted with blood, they fought a well fought duel: he weak yet Kirti starved.

He swung his knife into the night, stabbing for Kirti’s leg. The Guard missed and stumbled, while Kirti struck his head. He stood up again, winded but not defeated; he thrust his knife into the club that Kirti wielded.

Kirti tried to strike again but the guard held strong. So Kirti threw the club away, and as the guard whirled, he leapt for the neck.

Over the air, into the night, he landed on the man. He struck his hands on the neck of the guard under him. He felt a pulse, loud and strong, and started to force it in… for when the pulse gets stuck, he knew that he will win.

However, he did not see that the guard wore sharp boots. A kick in the knee and they tumbled down in the woods.

Kirti punched his face; he can see the blood flying through the air. He felt a stab in his gut and returned the favor, he brought the guard’s stomach beyond repair.

Yet they still fought, head to head, and started to strangle each other. Kirti felt again, the man’s life’s pulse, and started to close his hand.

His own neck a world of pain, his head is spinning in water, he felt a need to use his head and proceeded in the matter. He struck his head, hardened by starvation, into the guard’s own. The guard loosened his grip for a second and then, he was lost.

Down and down, Kirti pressed, yet the man seemed not to die, down and down, the pulse became weaker until finally, the man died.

Gasping, tumbling, Kirti realized what he done: he killed a man with his own bare hands and yet it seemed like nothing’s wrong. He clenched his teeth and took the man’s rations and a map. He went on the boat and traveled south before hiding for a nap.

Pictland

Pictland, my home; the Picts, my brothers and sisters. Labels given to us by cursed outsiders. The Gael, the other Caledonii, all scorned us. We were primitives: the Gael with their iron and the Caledonii with their ponies and fire were greater than us. Yet they fell to the swung axe; the unbroken armour; the thrown spear; the courage; the leadership; the might of the Picts. We rule from the Maol nan Gall to Ceann Dùnaid, from Keith Inch to Corrachadh Mòr. These tales tell of our rise and our rule and of our people and customs and shall be past down faithfully by the bàrds until a more permanent and faithful method can be found.

Upon the hill, my lord be,
To gaze across the way,
There he did spy the Gaels cross the Dee.
And then he did bay.

The great voice rose and fell,
And with its beauty summoned
An army from the dell.

An army of blue might,
An army of Pictish might,
And the blue might,
Did rout and smite,
the Gael cross the Dee.

OOC: As you can see I am no poet but I hope you like my simple offering. My remaining accounts will probably be told in more traditional story form as that poem took way too long to write. The first and third lines of the first stanza at one point seemed nigh impossible to rhyme. Maol nan Gall is better known as the Mull of Galloway, Ceann Dùnaid as Dunnet Head.

Argh, I hate writing stories, but I know how much they are needed in this NES

I will pull some generic fiction out my arse in the next few hours

If you want Abaddon, send me a PM with the bare bones of the story and I'll write it out for you.

An interesting idea indeed. I'll give it a shot! :D

Don't know if, when you write the story, it should count as points for both Abaddon and Haseri. :D

As for the Techs, Renaissance only lacks descriptions and I'm short of 1 Tech in Enlightenment, although some propositions given to me are sounding quite good... I'll try to tell you when I update the Tech Tree (also making up a Civ-like Tech tree, to make it easy to know what you want and not).

No, just Abaddon.

Note: It might not be done until morning. If you want to do it yourself Abaddon instead, that's fine.

Top Bottom