My current game (for Void, Trada, Dack and everyone else)

Osvaldo Manso

Warlord
Yesterday night I played from 320 BC (not 360 BC as I thought) to 1 AD. I tried to take a snapshot of the map using «Print Screen» and then «Paste» in a Word document, so that you could all take a look at this wonderful world. Unfortunately, this didn't result. Does anyone know a simple way to take snapshots from Civilization? Of course I can always use my digital camera and then upload the files as *.jpg but there must be an easier way.

Meanwhile, a very strange thing happened. My government type is republic. In the last turns of the BC era, it took me 6 turns to discover a new technology at a 0.3.7 tax rate. However, now in 1 AD, according to my trade advisor report, it will take 12 turns! I thought there was no penalty in the scientific research speed after 1 AD when the government is of a representative type (i.e. republic or democracy). Can anyone help? Is this a bug? My version is 474.03.

Between 320 BC and 1 AD, I built my first wonder of the world - Copernicus' Observatory - in my capital city (named Osvaldopolis). I used caravans to quickly build this wonder. In the next turn (20 AD), I will complete my second wonder - Magellan's Expedition - in a smaller city (called Oeiras). I have been using caravans for building this wonder too.

In the technology field, I discovered Invention and Navigation. In the present, my scientists are busy discovering Physics, continuing the way to Railroad. Other civs periodically try to trade technologies, offering Monarchy or Feudalism. I always refuse because I don't need those techs. In the meantime, the mongols finally discovered The Wheel. Unfortunately they spread this knowledge and now the germans can also build chariots.

The world is at peace except for a war going on between mongols and babylonians. But it doesn't seem to be very intense. Let's wait and see if the mongols will start using chariots instead of the slow catapults against the two babylonian cities.

As to my cities, at the present I have two size 6, three size 5 and three size 4. The total population is now over 1 million people.

For those of you who haven't read my posts at another thread («Building a battleship in a lake»), I will briefly describe my game:
- new world;
- 7 civs;
- king level;
- started with no technologies (except for Irrigation, Mining and Roads);
- found out that my civ is located in the south part of a big continent with 5 other civs - egyptians, english, mongols, germans and babylonians;
- managed to colonize the south part of the continent with 8 cities;
- always remained at peace with all civs (however had one time to pay 50 in tribute to egyptians to maintain peace);
- built a defense system consisting of 2 veteran phalanxes and 1 veteran catapult in each city);
- the english were ultimately destroyed by the germans;
- barbarians were never a problem (just one invasion from the sea);
- switched government from despotism to republic around 360 BC;
- established embassys in the 4 neighbouring civs;
- haven't started naval exploration yet;
- scientific research concentrates in achieving Railroad;
- always kept tax rate as low as possible without allowing shortage of treasury;
- have no contact with the chinese although a chinese trireme once navigated my coast and cowardly destroyed one helpless settler unit;
- have no contact with the greeks who replaced the english somewhere;
- the egyptians built 4 wonders - Pyramids, The Oracle, The Colossus and Hanging Gardens;
- the chinese built The Lighthouse;
- as I told you above, I built Copernicus' Observatory and will complete Magellan's Expedition in the next turn.

I will keep posting my next moves if you are still interest. Hopefully, I will be able to show you some images of the game.

Osvaldo Manso said:
Yesterday night I played from 320 BC (not 360 BC as I thought) to 1 AD. I tried to take a snapshot of the map using «Print Screen» and then «Paste» in a Word document, so that you could all take a look at this wonderful world. Unfortunately, this didn't result. Does anyone know a simple way to take snapshots from Civilization?
use print screen, paste in a windows paint document, and upload to civfanatics, or imageshack/photobucket.

How's this game going? Finished? Did ya win?

trada said:
How's this game going? Finished? Did ya win?

Well, unfortunately I lost interest in this particular game. I was hoping for more interest from other members of the forum, but I guess this happens to us all. Our games always look like very interesting but when we talk about them to other people they get bored.

If you run it using DOSBox then you can take screenshots easily using CTRL-F5 to have it save a png screenshot.

Osvaldo Manso said:
Well, unfortunately I lost interest in this particular game. I was hoping for more interest from other members of the forum, but I guess this happens to us all. Our games always look like very interesting but when we talk about them to other people they get bored.

Just the opposite. I was interested but it appears you got bored.

trada said:
Just the opposite. I was interested but it appears you got bored.

I'm sorry to hear that but I got a little bored as I thought no one was interested anymore about reading my extensive descriptions of the game. In addition, my back was hurting because I was playing in an uncomfortable chair for too many days in a row.

Anyway, yesterday I started a new game and I hope this will be the one. I mean, I hope this will be my best and most interesting game to date. I hope it will be my definitive (but not final) Sid Meier's Civilization experience.

Hehe. Well, I'm hardly an 'old fan'. (I just discovered civ a couple years back).. but yeah, we are few in numbers :)

I thought the game sounded interesting, mainly because you were playing at king level and you managed to hold peace with the AI's, you have copernicus observatory (you would then have to increase that city's size, have university, temple, colleseum, cathedral etc to have max production) and with railroad on it's way you could have gotten up to Automobile by the middle ages...

Anyway, good lick with the next game, and let us know how it went...

Yes there are few civ 1 fanatics left. But you can't improve on an original...

nock371 said:
I thought the game sounded interesting, mainly because you were playing at king level and you managed to hold peace with the AI's, you have copernicus observatory (you would then have to increase that city's size, have university, temple, colleseum, cathedral etc to have max production) and with railroad on it's way you could have gotten up to Automobile by the middle ages...

Anyway, good lick with the next game, and let us know how it went...

Yes there are few civ 1 fanatics left. But you can't improve on an original...

I always play at king level because it is the level in which you get similar conditions to the AI's. As I suppose you know, at less difficult levels you have advantages on several items, like the speed at which your population grows or the speed of your scientific research. On the other hand, playing at emperor level you are penalized at those same items. So, I think that king level is more fair and balanced than any other level. It's more like real world.

In most of the games I play, I try to hold peace with every civilization I meet. There are exceptions: if I'm on a continent too small to seize at least 5 or 6 cities, I need to make room for my civilization. At other times I need to react to aggressions made by other civilizations and it seems that the only way to make myself respected is to take at least one city from them.

I will keep you informed about my next game. For now, I've been re-reading two books ("Sid Meier's Civilization or Rome on 640K a Day" by Johnny L. Wilson and Alan Emrich and "The Official Guide To Sid Meier's Civilization" by Keith Ferrell; I strongly recommend the first one). After finishing this readings, I'm sure I'll play my best game of all time.

Top Bottom