Mecca can't build the Great Library switching to Library

sabo

My Ancestors were Vikings
This is another thing that makes me wonder what they were thinking at Firaxis. for instance - if you are building the GL and another Civ beats you too it and if you forget to change it to something else that turn the program will change it to something else for you like the library or what ever takes the most shields, at this point the city is already building a Library and you've already lost all those shields you had going for the GL, but what if I wanted to build the Forbidden Palace in that city, I have lost hundreds of sheilds already.

I know that one option would be to re-load but sometimes I play with auto-save off, besides it's something I don't want to make a habit of.

Instead of clicking on "Sounds Good" click on "Zoom to City" that'll allow you to change it

As in so many situations, if you let the game make the decision for you, instead of siezing the reins of government and making your own decisions, you will likely be sorry, and almost certainly underperform those players who do not let the computer program decide what worker actions to take, what to build, what tiles to work, and all the other bad decsions the AI is heir to.

You can play the game, or you can watch it. I recommend you play it, and make the crucial decisions yourself. If you don't, it really isn't the game's fault (well, we could discuss that) that it makes dumb decisions if you don't tell it what to do.

Originally posted by barron of ideas

You can play the game, or you can watch it. I recommend you play it, and make the crucial decisions yourself. If you don't, it really isn't the game's fault (well, we could discuss that) that it makes dumb decisions if you don't tell it what to do.

What I want is to go to the city governor screen, and click on the box that says, "just win, baby!" :D

Woah, Quasar1011, you're from Mobile, Alabama, too? Cool, what are the odds of that? :)

[sorry for the threadjack]

You could always a UU for your civilization - a builder. This would cost maybe 2000 shields, require no tech to build and can be used to switch to if another civilization beats you to a wonder, and there's nothing but a basic improvement left to swap to. Obviously, you'll be looking for a new wonder to become available after research, so that you can then switch from the builder unit to the new wonder.

Why a unit not an improvement? If it's a unit, it can be made unique to your civilization, if it's forgotten about and built, it can be killed off in a city for the shields, and it can be mobile and sent to another city to boost that city's wonder production.

Obviously this is a big cheat - another would be to set all civilizations to "never build wonders" and that would be problem over. At least the UU idea isn't as drastic as this and provides a solution to the very annoying situation of being a couple of turns away from building a wonder and not being able to switch to anything else. It also makes a cracking pre-build!

For everything but the capital city, the Palace is a useful high-shield project that serves as a dummy to hold the shields until a new Wonder becomes possible.

When it's the capital city, though, and nothing remaining is more than 1 turn away, well, you just have to eat the loss of shields.

Originally posted by Crowpocalyptic1
Instead of clicking on "Sounds Good" click on "Zoom to City" that'll allow you to change it

But that's what I was talking about, when you get to this screen it has ALREADY started to build the library, if you zoom to the city it just shows your city building the library and so it's after you lost shields

Yep Sabo you're right about that but as barron said a programming change on something that was avoidable if you had been paying attention is not likely to happen. I would've auto-saved it. Auto-save isn't necessarily a cheat tool. I was playing a game once in the 1700's and a 1200's most recent save when the power went out. Unintentional unit movement happens sometimes when dragging the mouse. Sometimes i cheat with it, too, of course... It's so hard to resist when the AI is whipping your butt... I just thought of my most recent auto-save load and will ask everyone's opinion if it was cheating in a new thread.

Originally posted by Civrules
Yes but it gives you an improvment that wastes the least shields. :)
Exactly. I don't see a problem.

Really the only way to avoid this is to be extra vigiliant and switch to the palace (assuming this isn't occuring in your capital, in which case you're screwed) just before the computer would do it for you.

The game always gives you an opportunity with Wonders. even after a cascade. When you're first notified, you will have turn control before the auto-switch fires between that turn and the next. The city will be left building the obsolete wonder, but that won't be a choosable entry in its build menu. If you leave it like until after the turn, then the machine will do the autoselect.

There's a big difference in taking control first.

If you take control when you have it, you can switch to Palace, or do a scramble tech-buy if possible to open another wonder and start that, without loss of shields, or really lose the shields if there's just no other option.

But if you wait for the machine to do it in the next turn, it will come up with the shield already trimmed to the largest-possible-build. Even if you have a tech-purchase opportunity, you've already wasted most of the shields anyway.

So it's a good habit to get into: when wonders appear, stop building them.

Originally posted by sabo10

But that's what I was talking about, when you get to this screen it has ALREADY started to build the library, if you zoom to the city it just shows your city building the library and so it's after you lost shields

You must be allowing governors to control city production? I've always been presented with a pop-up that says "XXXX has completed the Pyramids. Shall we switch XXXX to Colosseum?" and the option to "Zoom to city" or select from a drop-down menu. If your city has already switched to an improvement like a library (and lost the other accumulated shields) then you need to adjust governor settings.

Originally posted by Catt

You must be allowing governors to control city production? I've always been presented with a pop-up that says "XXXX has completed the Pyramids. Shall we switch XXXX to Colosseum?" and the option to "Zoom to city" or select from a drop-down menu. If your city has already switched to an improvement like a library (and lost the other accumulated shields) then you need to adjust governor settings.

Yes I get the drop down with choices too Catt, but like I said, by that time the extra shields are gone.

sabo10,

What exactly would the alternative be? It switches to the most expensive item that you can build; it does the best it can do. You don't expect to be able to continue building something that's already built, do you? :confused:

Top Bottom