Civ2 on Windows 10

Johnnyboz

Chieftain
Hi all.
New to forum, Have just inserted the civ2 disk into my new Windows 10 PC, Get a message saying cannot run the app on this PC, Are there any ways I can play civ2? Is the game downloadable from anywhere? I think I have a vanilla version as its boxed and has 1996 on disk, it worked on my xp and vista computers. Thanks in advance for help.

Look around that CD for the actual civ folder and civ2.exe file.
If your version is similar to mine, you should be able to just copy the necessary files from the CD and put them manually to a desired folder.

That's just the first part of the work though, which is followed by one or more patches to bring a '96 app up to date with modern systems.
For the record, with existing patches, I can run civ2 under win 7 with no problems, no need for compatibility mode or anything like that.
DOSbox would perhaps be a nice choice for Civ1 but for 2, I don't think it's suitable, certainly not with win 3.1.
A virtual machine with win 95 or 98 would be a better choice but I strongly suggest to check out the patches first, they could really work wonders.

I have it running fine with DOSBox / W 3.11, Windows boots up in 10 seconds and it plays great later.

I went and bought an old dell PC with XP on it for £35 so now I can play all my old retro games!

Is anyone else having problems with LAN games using Hamachi and Windows 10?

Same problems that occurred here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=482087

At this rate I might just buy myself an old windows XP laptop... lol

Yes, I have the same problem. Did anybody solve this for plain Win 10? Or does anybody has any idea?

Suggestions i received yet are: Using virtual box with win 7 or lower version, DosBox with win 3.11 (does this allow multiplayer internet connections?) or making a partition with win xp or win 7.

Actually the idea of second old laptop appeals to me too. Why did I gave them away?! :( If I run a partition I cant use steam or e-mail besides playing civ 2, if I dont install all the apps twice. If I run a second laptop I could just let the other one run on contemporary op sys and apps. Will check prices....

But any hints on solving this issue on Win 10 is highly appreciated anyway. Thx.

Yes, I have the same problem. Did anybody solve this for plain Win 10? Or does anybody has any idea?

Suggestions i received yet are: Using virtual box with win 7 or lower version, DosBox with win 3.11 (does this allow multiplayer internet connections?) or making a partition with win xp or win 7.

Actually the idea of second old laptop appeals to me too. Why did I gave them away?! :( If I run a partition I cant use steam or e-mail besides playing civ 2, if I dont install all the apps twice. If I run a second laptop I could just let the other one run on contemporary op sys and apps. Will check prices....

But any hints on solving this issue on Win 10 is highly appreciated anyway. Thx.
Honestly, the easiest thing for me was to buy an old refurbished XP. I've been enjoying my Test of Time games for the first time in years, and the computer works well for ordinary posting. There are a few things I can't do with it, or not well at any rate, but that's what my 8.1 laptop is for.

Ok, to run Civ2 on Windows 10 basis, I managed to set up a workaround: A virtual machine with Virutalbox with Win XP OS and Civ2 and Evolve in it. Works perfectly fine. Establishing the internet connection was a bit of work though. But finally it works. Yay! :D

And best thing: It didnt cost a p, but acually some of your time. On the plus side too: You learn something about computers.

Ok, to run Civ2 on Windows 10 basis, I managed to set up a workaround: A virtual machine with Virutalbox with Win XP OS and Civ2 and Evolve in it. Works perfectly fine. Establishing the internet connection was a bit of work though. But finally it works. Yay! :D

And best thing: It didnt cost a p, but acually some of your time. On the plus side too: You learn something about computers.

OOh i tried installing Oracle Virtul Box buts its just too complicated have no idea how to run it properly let alone install civ2 on it
On win7 I was using virtual machine built into the win7 and the game worked though I never figured out how i can add maps as it always run off a 'virtual CD" that wouldnt let me edit it

I run MGE on windows 10 with only the occasional crash once in a while, just needs the 64-bit patch. Google Civ 2 MGE 64 bit patch and you should find it.

I have tried all of the above solutions and none of them work. Civ 2 tot on Windows 10 with 64 bit patch, compatibility mode set to windows XP, even tried a virtual machine running windows XP but after restoring a saved game the graphics are corrupted. Seems to be something to do with the graphics drivers but I don't understand why I get the same problem with the virtual machine.
Any ideas anyone?

I have tried all of the above solutions and none of them work. Civ 2 tot on Windows 10 with 64 bit patch, compatibility mode set to windows XP, even tried a virtual machine running windows XP but after restoring a saved game the graphics are corrupted. Seems to be something to do with the graphics drivers but I don't understand why I get the same problem with the virtual machine.
Any ideas anyone?
As I said above, I just decided to buy a refurbished XP computer. My Civ 2 TOT game works just fine on it, and I can do quite a bit of other things on it as well (such as typing this post). It's great to be able to play my older games.

Of course there's a trade-off. The newer games don't work on this computer, and the only videos I can watch on it are YT - and they're choppy. But I have newer computers for that.

Good Morning Everyone, sorry for the bump to this thread!
Like the original poster I was having problems getting CIV 2 to run on windows 10 without using a virtual machine, even with the MGE 64 bit patch
Eventually I did find out the extra step needed though, you need to install direct play!

I found the instructions to do this for a different old game here (3rd post down):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/6830/discussions/0/620712364023001938/
"
Here is the thing to install DirectPlay under Windows 8.1 x64 :

1) Go into Safe Mode (check out guides on how tp)
2) Press [Windows + X] or open the Control Panel and look for "Programs and Features"
3) Click on "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left menu
4) Look for "Legacy Components" and tick "Direct Play"
5) Wait for it to install and confirm it's done
6) Reboot normally
7) Now your game should launch properly

Enjoy !
"
Although the instructions were for windows 8, they work for windows 10 professional 64 bit as well!

To get into safe mode I used option 2 (shift + restart) found here:
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

I'm running Civilization II Multiplayer Gold with the 64 bit patch that can be found elsewhere on this site

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks HiUGuys for the instructions and welcome to CFC. As more and more people have to adopt windows 10, I am sure these instructions will come handy.

Like the original poster I was having problems getting CIV 2 to run on windows 10 without using a virtual machine, even with the MGE 64 bit patch
Eventually I did find out the extra step needed though, you need to install direct play!

I found the instructions to do this for a different old game here (3rd post down):
"

2) Press [Windows + X] or open the Control Panel and look for "Programs and Features"
6) Reboot normally

Enjoy !
"
Although the instructions were for windows 8, they work for windows 10 professional 64 bit as well!

I'm running Civilization II Multiplayer Gold with the 64 bit patch that can be found elsewhere on this site

Hope this helps someone!
I searched everywhere (for weeks) and couldn't find out why it was working before the Windows 10 "Creators Update", but no longer worked after it. Installing DirectPlay made it work. Thank you, HiUGuys.

"

6) Reboot normally

Enjoy !
"

Hope this helps someone!
Okay, I'm having some bizarre trouble. I went to follow these instructions, but the "Turn Windows features on or off" option doesn't seem to exist on the left menu of my "Program and Features," (or "Apps and Features," as it seems to be called on my computer), and there's no obvious analog option. Is there a workaround here?

Okay, I'm having some bizarre trouble. I went to follow these instructions, but the "Turn Windows features on or off" option doesn't seem to exist on the left menu of my "Program and Features," (or "Apps and Features," as it seems to be called on my computer), and there's no obvious analog option. Is there a workaround here?
I think I know what it is. In Windows 10, when you do a search for "Programs and Features," it gives you "Apps & features" as the search result. When you go to "Apps & features," you have look in the upper-right to find "Programs and Features." Click on that and another window will come up and you'll see "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left side."

I think I know what it is. In Windows 10, when you do a search for "Programs and Features," it gives you "Apps & features" as the search result. When you go to "Apps & features," you have look in the upper-right to find "Programs and Features." Click on that and another window will come up and you'll see "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left side."
That worked! Thank-you!

Top Bottom