Forests

nik_fatw

Chieftain
Having just completed my first game with a diplomatic victory I am wondering if I missed somthing!

Is it not possible to plant forrests?

If you can't, then it would be a good idea to be able to select an option for automatic workers to not chop them down?

What do you think?

Nik.

I often leave open spots for new forests to grow. But in my experience it only happens early in the game. I leave some forests be, with open spots next to them to have room for new ones. Nothing after the first couple of centuries.
I do think that having roads prevent new forests to grow. In the open spots, but also in existing forests. Don't know if that's true though. Maybe someone can clarify this?

I thought roads prevented forest growth for the longest time, but they don't. It was pointed out to me so I tested it myself by temporarily upping the forest growth rate to 100% and playing for a few turns. Then built roads like crazy, and the forests still kept growing over them. It makes sense though, since roads can co-exist with forests whereas other improvements cannot (save lumbermills which are already on forest tiles, so no forest would need to grow there anyway).

Thanks for the quick reply.
I wish you could plant forests in unused tiles. Not with an early tech, but later in the game. When lumbermills are available, or something. Or even later with environmentalism, or something.

Probably by messing with the XML files, but I'm no expert at that, I'm still learning this myself... But It's fairly easy, you just need to open up an XML file and edit it. It's basically just pretty understandable text.

CyberChrist: I already linked to the same mod thread in my first post. ;)

Queenie: You change the <iGrowth> integer tag for forests in the CIV4FeatureInfos.xml found in the \Assets\XML\Terrain folder. Actually, you shouldn't change the original, but make a copy and put it in your CustomAssets folder in a copy of the same directory structure.

I like the idea of not being able to replant forests, at least up to the Industrial era, but I do wish there were an option to automate workers without chopping down forests. Anyone know if there is a python file that I could check out for the worker actions?

Top Bottom