Why are you here?

Why am I here? To learn how to enjoy this most excellent mod. The intimate attention the design team pays to the users is unlike any game I've ever encountered. It's like going to a really good minor league baseball game which, if you've been to one you know, is superior to the "big leagues" in one key way... proximity to the players. This proximity let's you enjoy the game that much more and marvel at its' intricacies.
Thanks for that.

I can hardly wait to play FfH on BtS...................

Loved the Age of Ice Mod, but played too careless and got blown away by the difficulty...yikes

LOVE the Mod, keep up the excellent work!

I am relatively new to modding and have been playing Civ and FfH for a while.(Good Job Guys) but i was wondering if there is any way i can help. I dont know Python or art design but am willing to learn.

I am relatively new to modding and have been playing Civ and FfH for a while.(Good Job Guys) but i was wondering if there is any way i can help. I dont know Python or art design but am willing to learn.

Just play and enjoy. Spread the mod to your friedns and hang out here to give us feedback on your ideas and answer others questions that pop up.

If you really want to get into modding we don't have much need for more team help, but Im trying to make the BtS version as mossable as possible so people are free to offer their own FfH scenarios and mini-mods for others to play.

Ok. Ill continue to play.

Note to self: Remember to get BtS

I recently bought Civ4 and was looking for a fun mod to add some variety to the Civ experience. I found FFH2 and it was love at first sight of the Hell terrain.

I've played several games of the "Epic" mod as well as playing the Age of Ice scenario a couple times. I'm looking forward to the BTS conversion being completed.

:goodjob:

Hello all ! Hi from Paris, France !

Why I'm here ?
Just because when i'm playing on my comp, I'm almost only playing FFH for about a year now.
I'm absolutely amazed by all this great work and the overall nice feeling I get from the community when I come here to read posts.

But the real reason of this first post is because I had a little question about the Luonnotar unit :confused: (I asked in FAQ, dunno if it's ok though...)

Just a note to the FfH2 team: I like FfH2 better than Civ4/BtS. Bought BtS, started working my way through the scenarios/mods, with a few 'vanilla' BtS games thrown in. MEGO. I must confess that the BtS/FfH:AoI [let's see how many initials I can work in there] mod/scenario still didn't interest me as much as FfH2.

So...keep polishing/extending/improving FfH2. I believe it has replaced SMAC/AX as my all-time favorite 4X game. Here are some of the things I like about it (particularly in contrast to vanilla Civ4):

-- Fast promotion and a larger promotion tree. Promotion never did that much for me in Civ4, but now it's a critical part of the game for me. Lots of fun, especially when I'm dealing with hero units (such as the Baron).

-- The different characteristics of the civilization. Yeah, Civ4 has been trying to move towards that with civ-specific units, buildings, etc -- but your civs often require dramatically different strategies. It really boosts the repeat playability of FfH2; this is probably your greatest strength. Again, you're the first 4X game I've played since SMAC where the different AI civs actually feel like different civs, not just interchangeable images.

-- Religions. This was (IMHO) the best innovation of Civ4, but as with promotions, you've taken it up a few notches. In vanilla Civ4, it really doesn't matter which religion I pick; in FfH2, I think carefully about which to go for.

-- The good/neutral/evil alignment and the resulting impact on inter-civ politics. Keeps things interesting and makes 'role playing' the civ a bit more fun.

-- Magic. Took me a while to get into it, and I still tend to treat it as an afterthought/support for my armies. I need to play some games where I really focus on magic to see what more I can do with it.

-- All the little fiddly bits. Orthus. The red dragon. Forest fires. Towers (I love the towers during early game exploration). I hope you graft in some of the stuff from Age of Ice (I like the blizzards). Consider stealing some stuff from SMAC, such as volcanos erupting and/or the ability to raise/lower land.

Complaints/criticisms? Not many. I find the giant spiders really annoying, but that probably means they're doing their job. Fix the bugs, but I'm sure you're doing that. The endgame can get tedious, though that's true of vanilla Civ4 and a lot of 4Xs anyway.

Suggestions? More fiddly bits and unexpected events. Here's one: late in the game, if no one has taken Acheron out yet, have him leave his city and start randomly (or even purposefully) attacking non-barbarian cities - sort of a super Orthus.

Consider introducing a 'Samson in the temple' victory condition -- you build a wonder that invokes a hyper-raging barbarians condition, with them randomly appearing on visible squares inside of cultural boundaries (but outside of the city grid), and continuing to ramp up in number and/or ferocity (giant spiders, giants, dragons). You win if you're the last civ surviving. The condition can be canceled if all the other civs each builds a special counter-wonder -- at which point, the hyper-barbarians vanish from everyone else's territory and are left only attacking you, and you can't stop them spawning in your territory. So if everyone else can (a) work together and (b) survive long enough to build the counter-wonders, you're dead, and they can go on to seek another victory condition. High risk, high reward.

Anyway, keep up the great work. ..fritz..

Suggestions? More fiddly bits and unexpected events. Here's one: late in the game, if no one has taken Acheron out yet, have him leave his city and start randomly (or even purposefully) attacking non-barbarian cities - sort of a super Orthus.
That sounds soo 'Glaurung on the way to Nargothrond.' I like it :)

hi team!
I played the AoI scenario from BTS (not even finished it) and thought it would be great to see teh rest of FfH.
Downloaded it, and played it instead of BtS I had just bought :eek:.
I already played :
- Sheaim>hyborem : strange game where I had to attack the cities I had built earlier in the game (shows I didn't read much about the strats before playing, I should not have put the sheaim into such a dominant position and building them so many heroes and units. Kind of fun killing your own carefully built up empire. Ended up in a domination win, hard one.)
- kuriorates (chieftain level because I just didn't understand how to make it work with those guys, ended up being a rather easy cultural victory finally)
- Amurites (easy domination, using conjurers to storm through my noble enemies)
- Bannor (easy tower of mastery win, prince level isn't quite tough enough)
- Elohim (quite peaceful Altar of the Luonnotar victory, nothing beats cottage spamming + religious discipline, monarch level)
- Luchuirp (tried emperor, and found it too hard for me, went back to monarch for another altar victory)
I'm currently playing as the Ljosalfar towards a religious victory. good thing that the inquisitor works into friendly land and not only in your land.:goodjob:

I only have one suggestion, regarding the Hall of fame :

In the current way, you can't see the date of victory. I suggest removing the "age of rebirth" text, to insure the date can be read.

It's only a small issue though, and you can guess by the number of game played that I like the mod a lot. It's miles away better than the vanilla game:D .

A little rebalancing may be in order to remove the "buy yourself a tower of mastery or an altar" move, but it's no big deal.

Hey I built a simple (and not too difficult) FfH 2 map. Where should I post it? I've really enjoyed this mod a lot. I still play vanilla 4, but enjoy FfH 2 a great deal.

I've played every version of Civ and played precursors like Strategic Conquest back when. . .

Hey I built a simple (and not too difficult) FfH 2 map. Where should I post it? I've really enjoyed this mod a lot. I still play vanilla 4, but enjoy FfH 2 a great deal.

I've played every version of Civ and played precursors like Strategic Conquest back when. . .

The scenario forum is probably the best place. Welcome to Civfanatics and FfH!

I am here to warmly congratulate the entire team.

Not only for the art work, but also the texts (stories - ex: the one about the Giants in the pact of xxx), the little funny things (ex.: the "consumption" icon ... AH! the Monty Python and the Meaning of the life...), the redesign of the tec tree, the whole idea ...and offering (for free) a total different experience.

I have discovered this mode only 3 weeks ago, when trying Age of Ice, and after finishing all mods (but Final Frontier: it seems to be a big mod that I keep for later), I think this one is the closest from all what I like and liked, from Diablo (1) to Baldu'rs, to Heroes, to Warlord Battlecry, warcraft ...

The 49 years old uncle I am has just sent an email from Mozambique (where I live/work) to his 2 nephews in France, who are comp/game wizards, for giving the strong advise (and links) to try this mod out.
My wife is also trying with me. She finds Civ4 too formal and too "real", but she is interrested in playing around with spells and religions. Good!

Here is a picture of some happy customers ...
Looking stupid and boring (as usual), with my wife and my dog with who I share the same hair/fur color!...
Spoiler :

I've already been posting about the FFH games I've been playing, so I doubt I'm too much of a stranger around here, but I might as well introduce myself. I'm the same Blackclove who used to run the Civ II scenario league with Cam Hills, and who wrote a lot of Civ II mods -- the most famous of which was probably Dungeon, though my historical Toussaint L'Ouverture scenario (about Haiti) also garnered a lot of attention. Sadly, I haven't had any time at all to learn to mod for Civ IV, but it looks like some of you guys did a much better job than I would have anyway!!

FFH is outstanding, by the way. I'm having a blast.

I love dragons. This mod had a dragon.

Suggested tech: Dragon Worship.. allows sheaim(sp?) or Kurioates(sp?) to select cult of the dragon as a state religion? ^_^

Downloaded and installed 0.25k (runs under BTS) -- playing my first 0.25k game -- and Acheron leaves his barbarian city and starts advancing towards one of mine. My reaction is a mixture of "Cool!" and "Oh, crap!" as I scramble to move units in place to defend the city. Great fun! Great update overall, too. ..fritz..

I am here again to say that Fall From Heaven is the best game I have ever played.. Period! It has saved the game of BTS for me and for that alone I am thankful. I am earnest when I say that no other game has given me as much enjoyment as the FfH mod does. Thanks guys!

So, who are you when you say other things, Ernest?

Top Bottom