FfH 2 Manual

Been a long time since I played an AV game (note to self: Sheaim, next!) -- but doesn't building a Beast of Agares automatically cause a revolt in your town? My last experience with it would have been oh... 0.21? But that's my theory.

:mischief: :mischief: :mischief: :mischief: :mischief: :mischief:

Now that Grunthex mentions this ... I get the answer in both the pedia ... and Xienwolf's manual!!!
Page 41 of manual version 1, in the unit table, I can read:
Beast of Agares AV State Religion (Only at Creation
+ Soul Debt + Temple of the Veil
(+1 to AC Counter + City goes into
Revolt upon Creation
)

Simple strategy: do NOT build a Beast of Agares in your main "Money making" city, otherwise your empire will implode quickly with repetitive strikes!! This is especially vital if you have boosted this city with Manes, making it huge, and producing most resources (money, research, hammers) for your empire...
:rolleyes::hammer2::wallbash:

:stupid:

SHAKA-BOOM!

I have now posted version 1.75 of the Manual in the first post of the thread. It is all under the new format and has finally reached the point of containing all information which was included in version 1.0, but is not QUITE complete yet.

Please give all the feedback you can on what is missing, inaccurate, or just desired in general :)

This looks very nice. I have a suggestion, though, in regards to how spells are sorted. Could you have a list of all of the spells that sort them by sphere and type before you list the specifics? For example, have a list with the follow categories:

Arcane
Hero
Religion
Other

Under arcane, have the Sphere and the three spells under it. For hero, have the spells listed by hero that get them. Same for religion only spells. This way there is a quick way to sort through the spells if someone wanted to know "What spells do I get if I build a Life node, or adopt OO?"

You may want to have lists in alphabetical order at the head of the buildings and units sections as well.

Very nice. FfH needed a manual with this focus on pure information for the new/casual player. Seems to me that almost any topic is already covered in this version and those that aren't are already pointed in your to-do list. So, the only thing this manual would lack now is more visual appeal (tighter design and sexier looks in general). Anyway, the information is already there and it's pretty clearly presented, so it wouldn't be a must but a plus.

I see that in the civ sections, you note units and buildings that the civ can't build with a "lock" icon.

Is that explained anywhere in the manual? If it is, I missed it. You should make that a prominent note so that newbies won't think those buildings have some sort of special trait or something. That or change the lock icon to a big old stamp or something.

Please give all the feedback you can on what is missing, inaccurate, or just desired in general :)

Super duper work. An html version would be greatly appreciated by me since (at least my version) acrobat does not allow one to jump back and forth between your excellent linkings.

Cheers,

Sandro

This looks very nice. I have a suggestion, though, in regards to how spells are sorted. Could you have a list of all of the spells that sort them by sphere and type before you list the specifics? For example, have a list with the follow categories:

Arcane
Hero
Religion
Other

Under arcane, have the Sphere and the three spells under it. For hero, have the spells listed by hero that get them. Same for religion only spells. This way there is a quick way to sort through the spells if someone wanted to know "What spells do I get if I build a Life node, or adopt OO?"

You may want to have lists in alphabetical order at the head of the buildings and units sections as well.

That is a pretty nice idea. I'll see what I can do with forcing a TOC into each section. I believe that I have figured out a way that might work for it last night.

And there IS a list of the spell spheres for the Arcane, under "Promotions" one of the sections is for the Spell Spheres, and lists out for easy reference what spells come at each sphere. Though something a touch more accessible could definitely be desirable.

Very nice. FfH needed a manual with this focus on pure information for the new/casual player. Seems to me that almost any topic is already covered in this version and those that aren't are already pointed in your to-do list. So, the only thing this manual would lack now is more visual appeal (tighter design and sexier looks in general). Anyway, the information is already there and it's pretty clearly presented, so it wouldn't be a must but a plus.

I'd love it if this thing looked better, but as I am not quite a graphical designer, and my own head prefers information over design, I haven't managed to think of anything much I can improve as yet :( At least it looks better than 1.0, yes?

Yup :)

Maybe Grey Fox could help you with that, or any other FfHer with graphic design skills. Anyway, right now the manual is good for its purpose if a bit raw on the aesthetics.

@Sandro: You can go back from any link using the "Back" button on the top toolbar. BTW, if you want to try an alternative weightless and uncluttered free PDF reader you could try Foxit Reader. That's the one I'm using and it has for sure that Back button :)

Forgot to mention, but the pictures in the corner of each page are also links (Table of Contents, Start of Current Section, Start of Next Section).

Switched the background of the Denied Units/Buildings, probably looks better now.

Updated to Version 1.8. Minor tweaks based on feedback so far:

Added a Table of Contents to Spells, Buildings & Units sections so that you can very quickly navigate through all of them. Click on the name of what you want to see, then click on GOOD when you are done to get back to the list and look for the next link which interests you.

Also changed the background of the Denied units and Buildings. Did that as a Ninja Update of 1.75, but as long as I am mentioning what changed I may as well mention that :p

Fixed some Font issues as well. PDF doesn't like to let me actually use the fonts which I prefer sadly, and I just found another one which wasn't translating over, so replaced it with another, lesser, font. Plus it reverted some of the Civilization Titles to default font again for some irritable reason, fixed it for now.

Excellent!! Great Thanks!!!!
Just a reminder: your file gives away your full name (Jxxxx Txxx). Perhaps is it intended, or perhaps you do not mind. Otherwise check the file properties when editing in Adobe...

Since people seem to want the manual to look better, maybe I could help pimp it up for you, but I can't promise any time frame of completion.

Sure, any hints or help is welcome. Right now I am adding a non-printing background, helps quite a bit. (but requires me to redo my icons a bit)

Other thing that would help is side-bars, but I couldn't figure out how to place them, except manual insertion.

Top Bottom