Fresh water whales?

willfreedo

Chieftain
What?

So far I'd only encountered "fresh water", i.e. food bonus, within bodies of water that had only Coast tiles, nothing deeper. Turns out the first time I see one of them with a Sea tile, it's also home to a mutant freshwater whale :crazyeye: Not going to complain about the +1 food

Why am I clicking the x to see what the sea looks like?!

A body of water with 20 tiles or less of coast, sea or ocean is a fresh water lake.
I think you should give the lost Whale a name.

:lol:

Yeah, I was going to say 21 or less is a fresh water lake, which is the same. I know I've seen whales on interior lakes, but I'm not sure I have on any that are 21 or fewer tiles.

Perhaps instead of actual whales, it's supposed to represent large marine mammals, and can be interpreted as freshwater dolphins in this case.

Thanks for the info on the 21 tile limit, didn't know about it. Having never seen any sea tiles on fresh water lakes thus far, I'd assumed that was precisely the requirement for the game to consider them as such. And then a black swan shows up and induction and correlation and causation go out the window.

Searched a bit; turns out whales can indeed live on fresh water... for a few weeks. And there's no way that's the case for her, that she just happens to show up for a picture exactly every ten years, given there's no connection to salt water from there. Or maybe the lake is salt water, and the food bonus comes from it being so salty that the locals can chew on it and replenish nutrients. Ew.

And yeah, her name is definitely Willy. She's gonna vault over that Bowman to the southwest and all the way into the ocean. And by "vault" I mean "fly a few hundred miles after a further mutation gives her wings".

I think you should give the lost Whale a name.
Dopey Mick?

BTW, are RL gray/ humpback whales still swimming into/ up the Sacramento River on a regular basis...?

Willy ain't free no mo'

In fact she's the opposite of free, so much so that she's being renamed as Overpriced Willy. Look at them coins. Fresh water whales are the best thing since slinced bread, because they also give you three sliced bread. Three sliced breads. Three slices of breads. Whatever.

PS: As if those gems and iron are sitting JUST on the other side of border, hnng. And nobody else can/wants to trade them. If they're not culture flipped soon, India's getting the Bowman Begins treatment.

I've also done that on numerous occasions in the past... :blush:
Those screenshots just look too "real". :D

As to the name: that must be Nessy, the Monster of Loch Ness... :scared:

Edit: btw, too bad you can't build a harbor in a lake town, that would make it a 4-sliced-bread-tile... :yumyum:

btw, too bad you can't build a harbor in a lake town, that would make it a 4-sliced-bread-tile... :yumyum:

Well, you can build a harbor in a lake town, if it is also an ocean town, but you don't get the extra food in the lake.

Good grief! Another rule I didn't know. The 22 tile lake rule. Sheesh! Can you launch ships on these large lakes? I assume not.
you can only launch ships in lake if your city resides at the bottleneck between sea and lake.

On the other side you have two such cities, you can have a nice shortcut through the continent (beside of the possibility to let your navy bombard any enemy cities at same lake :D ).

Recommended city names are Kiel, Brunsbüttel, Port Said, Port Taufig, Colon and Panama City. ;)

Willy ain't free no mo'

In fact she's the opposite of free, so much so that she's being renamed as Overpriced Willy. Look at them coins. Fresh water whales are the best thing since slinced bread, because they also give you three sliced bread. Three sliced breads. Three slices of breads. Whatever.

PS: As if those gems and iron are sitting JUST on the other side of border, hnng. And nobody else can/wants to trade them. If they're not culture flipped soon, India's getting the Bowman Begins treatment.
:D
Ask for them once. After that, don't wait for a culture flip...

Maybe I'm missing something. The tile clearly says "sea", and the food is 3 when whales are +2. That's not fresh water, it's an inland sea. You can probably build an aqueduct in Izibia.

Still an odd sight.
Izibia is on a river, so they have fresh water.

If the inland sealake is not fresh water, where did Coventry and Newcastle get their irrigation water from?
It doesn't matter what the inland lake is made of, as long as it's small enough (max 20 tiles), it's fresh water.

This lake in the picture below is small, but has an ocean tile in it. The city still has fresh water.
I did some more testing, and apparently, the max number of tiles is not 22 tiles but 20 (!!) and it doesn't matter if it's coast, sea or ocean. If the lake is 21 or more (doesn't matter what kind of water) then it's not fresh water anymore.

what a nice capital one could build on that Gold hill... :)
t_x

what a nice capital one could build on that Gold hill... :)
t_x

True dat. I guess scouting with the worker can really help sometimes. I probably would have salivated over the wheat and moved the worker right to it, not see either cow and plop the settler in place.

Top Bottom