The dawn of civilization

BobTheTerrible

Just Another Bob
One thing that always seemed off about the civ games was the fact that every civilization sprung up at exactly the same time, and inevitably the "Top Cities" screen would be filled with "Founded: 4,000 BC."

It would be nice if we had a non-default option to start at slightly more variable times. For example, if the option was ticked each civilization would start the game at some random point within the first 10 turns (even better if the number is exposed to xml).

Sure, it could wreak a bit of havoc on upper-level games, but it could still be an option; just something for those of us who like to spice things up a bit, to make the rise of civilization seem less "game-y."

Now, ideally, I'd like a system like the Revolutions mod where civilizations can emerge over time, fracture, etc; and a system where newer cities can grow to be more important and productive than the capital (again, so we don't get all capitals in the top cities screen); but this is just a small suggestion.

The Rhye's and Fall of Civilization might be something you'd like, if you haven't tried it yet. about 25 civilizations in all popping up at different times. Civilizations do fracture and/or collapse into a bunch of independent city/states. Have to watch it, though, yours can too!

Admittedly, they don't all show up at the beginning, but it's similar. I've had a number of cases where the capital wasn't the most important city, cultural or otherwise.

I don't know exactly how RFC works, so I can't really comment on that, but the idea as in the OP seems not all that good. I mean, 10 turns at the beginning of the game can be pretty crucial. Leaving that up to chance purely for the sake of not having the same founded date in one or two screens isn't really a good thing, unless their is some adequate way to compensate those that start some turns later.

It occurs to me it would make a very interesting way to adjust the difficulty level. That's what they did in the Barbarians scenario, I'm surprised no one thought of it as a regular game option sooner. No more need for ridiculous difficulty options like starting AIs with entire armies.

I don't know exactly how RFC works, so I can't really comment on that, but the idea as in the OP seems not all that good. I mean, 10 turns at the beginning of the game can be pretty crucial. Leaving that up to chance purely for the sake of not having the same founded date in one or two screens isn't really a good thing, unless their is some adequate way to compensate those that start some turns later.

Yup, that's why it would be a non-default option for those of us who like to live on the edge. It's not only for the purpose of looking different on these screens, but making the whole "dawn of civilization" seem a little bit less gamey.

It could even be set up so that the "best' starting locations start a little bit later, and the worse ones start earlier, to help offset the difference a tiny bit. Also, keep in mind that without religious techs to aim for early on, the loss of a few turns *might* not always be crucial.

Well it would be perfectly fine if it was perfectly balanced over the entirety of the game. I 'spose it would be good to have a mechanism whereby you got an early game disadvantage or advantage, counteracted later in the game, to make you adapt to where in the game you need to really press home your advantage.

As for it being a non-default option, well that is always an option, but I prefer to look at ideas as assuming they'd be default features, or else I'd be saying "yeah, that should be an option" for every idea I come across. :)

Top Bottom