Maps of NESing V

I had the same problem with imgur. I only used imgur until it started to convert my pngs into jpgs. Terrible. Then I started using ImageShack, and so far I've had no problems uploading 5000x5000 images.

It's very possible.

If you're going to use my work, don't butcher it.

Just goes to show that basing a thread off Abaddon's work leaves it inevitably incomplete, I guess.

I guess this is the right place to ask.

Maps of Earth-like worlds (for a *fantasy* NES). How do you make them (I found one useful link to Dance.Down's explanation already) and what software is best (or is it easier to just hand-draw?)?

Earth-like in detail? Start from the ground up is my only (last minute before I leave for work) advice. Tectonics going in random directions, from which mountains>continent develop depending upon what plates collide and subduct. Winds based on that. Biomes based on that. Early civilization will likely develop on a calm, wet, east-west warm coast.

Check out Rich Burlew's World Bulding (GiantITP.com? on the panel to the left, "gaming > New World part 6" is where I'd start) tutorial. Cool stuff for nooblez.

Spoiler :

Pretty much the finalised OptNES map. I'm open for critique, but bear in mind I'm unlikely to actually implement changes that aren't quick'n'simple. ;)

Still, I think that there should be a mainland 'cradle so that there is a focus to the gameplay, and the island nations are islands, not the norm.

Mm - a little late now :p

THose continents are fairly large, remember - then we have large islands or island chains inspired by Greenland, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Britain etc. I tried to make the ratios not too out of whack with Earth's.

It hasn't caused too many problems with signups so far anyway.

Mm - a little late now :p

THose continents are fairly large, remember - then we have large islands or island chains inspired by Greenland, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Britain etc. I tried to make the ratios not too out of whack with Earth's.

It hasn't caused too many problems with signups so far anyway.

The design is fine, it looks well thought out, although visually it needs some work. Its understandable though; not everyone is a talented cartographer, spends a lot of time on it, and is as picky as i am with maps.

As for the mountains, they could present a pretty glaring problem aesthetically when you try to draw in the empires, since the mountains are anti-aliased. What that means is its not just made out of black pixels, there are many shades of grey that help it transition to white to make it look visually appealing. The problem is, what if an empire's color is Green. The mountains are anti-aliased to transition to white, not green, so the grey pixels would stand out and make it look odd. Not a huge deal, but the little things set people off, especially in NESing.

There aren't too many mountains, i suppose you can fix them if you wish to. If you want a mountain that isn't anti-aliased, take a look at the map on the front page of my NES (its in my signature, and the map is in a spoiler if you can't locate it; I didn't make those mountains, but its just the easiest path to them i could offer you) You just copy and paste them around each other to form mountain chains and they look a bit better visually.

It may be too late for these changes, but just keep that in mind for your next NES. I think a map is one of the most important parts, and can make it a lot of fun!

Top Bottom