Ages' Beginnings - An Arrow/Immaculate Reboot

“As long as it effects only others, a condition difficult to maintain, chaos brings you profit”

Attributed to Pejo Jurich, the third doge of the former Republic of Bogatstvo, often misquoted as “chaos brings profit!”

Know then that Bogatstvo as a Archduchy in strive for wealth sees profit in the possible tensions, especially that spawned by the possible acts of the Arots. The Archduke encourages the merchants that call themselves his subjects to go forth and bring wealth as recorded by his meeting and his speech!

Spoiler the meeting :
In the prime, central hall of the Archduke’s castle in the city of Bogatstvo sat a great table; the once throne room of the Kings of Srabija had been first converted as the prime official meeting hall of the Doges of Bogatsvo and then came to serve a similar purpose for the Archdukes. The table was covered in a tablecloth, even though there were only four people sat at the table; the Archduke Andreas the first of his name was naturally at the head of the table, while sat near him were four advisers, yet the fifth figure was also present in the form of a priestess of the Ebony Arrow who decided to move around the advisers and their archduke, raved in grey robes. Servants skittered around the room with utmost haste, including those who came forth towards the table to help refill the goblets on the table with red wine.

Archduke Andreas now was the one which the priestess Jaga who served as the court priestess for House Venetianer.

Grand Mayor Ratko Ilic of Narandžasta served as the court’s chief treasurer. He was keen to ensure the wealth of Narandžasta also benefited from any increased richness for both the city and archduchy of Bogatsvo.

Jakov Slobodan was a Poverenjen theological scholar turned adviser and diplomat to the Jurichs. He often also double in providing himself in advise for the Archduke.

Boro Car was the voice of the chief advisor to the Archduke, Teodor Kasun a far but active blood relative to the Duke of Ravan. However as the chief advisor was currently ill his second in command was taking his place; whether this will be permament would depend on the condition of the chief advisor.

"So you vision the benefits of the assassination; not a Ebony teaching but there is a higher aim for this?" went Jaga.

"With aims cometh profit" stated the Archduke of his family's motto. "Although peace may flower there exists tension. The raids in the Storm Islands are of note, as be the possible fruits of the Arots' work. We could be passive and keep out of the games that are destined to be played. We will not enter the games as warriors. We will however enter as merchants to supply the games. We aim to hence benefit from any chance of chaos."

"This may still cause issue" went Jakov Slododan. "Although House Jurich too see the benefits of feasting on the fruits of the chaos of others we must take care."

"Indeed" went Jaga. "Although I heed well your move my lord you should be careful in dealing with the outside of your realm; trade without patience in swords and you may be forced to swing one."

“We of Bogatstvo must not heed our heads to simply focus on drinking our goblets as oppose to dealing with outside when there is so much profit to claim” went Ratko Ilic with cautious excitement in his voice. “Even in the case that war does not erupt from the peaks of tension we can at least benefit from the weapons trade that will spiral to engulf all as everyone starts to hate each other. The moon cultist assassination was, in many ways, the call to prosperity. We can all benefit from this upcoming chaos. We need not swing the sword save for our mercenaries; we will serve all with our labor and our horses, to not take the road to sloth but the way to our benefits of all.”

“Yet we must be vigilant and patient in these times” warned Jakov Slobodan. “We must allow our greed for material gains these times to blind us to the dangers of our involvement. Bogatstvo has benefited from neutrality, especially in how it can aid us in war time trade, yet we must remember the dangers of weapons trade in maintaining our neutrality. The Mittekrieger would most gladly march on us if any of the Archduchy’s customers feel we are serving more their enemies than themselves, yet have enough gold to feed the mercenaries so they can go on their vendetta against the Jurichs. Hoof and arrow with the Mittekrieger would then allow others to exploit us, including the fanatical Urdhër in Zlato. We must restrain our war traders less they buy into the possible wars!”

“Heed with care for we need not fear if we ensure that both sides have a fair access to our arms” replied the Grand Mayor. “Način teachings dictates that those who work hard at their labour a great bounty and this is a time for our forges, our arrow makers, our horse breeders, our mercenaries and so on to prove their war craft. We can enjoy peace while feasting on the fruits of war, for they grow even in peace. In the end the thought of war can in itself benefit our war labor.”

“Our hunger for benefit to our war labor may bring us war” warned Slobodan. “Do you think the risks will benefit our wealth in the end? We have already proved ourselves in tense difficulties with the Zlaton rebels. Surely we must take caution?”

“Caution as House Jurich raided the cradle of the Archduke’s family?” spoke Boro Car. “We must indeed learn to be careful but, like a Jurich raider, we must also know when to… claim.”

“Our raids against the louse born Princes of Mitteland and then the overgrown camps of the Mittekrieger was a move for profit in light of House Wlakantchovski’s attempt at conquest” replied Slobodan. “We also made the important move of gambling with but one realm. If our war trades go wrong we will have the entire south, nay the entire realms of Auronas, to have in case of any attempted exploitation of our services towards chaos!”

“Did not House Jurich proclaim that chaos brings profit?” asked Ilic.

“Nay” went Slobodan. “We said you can profit from the burning of others as long as you do not get into the flames yourself!”

“Enough; I have made my mind and commitment to benefit from the war” went Andreas of Bogatstvo. “Although I will issue caution so that we may not bleed from our sword sales we must also not take passive apathy in these times. The truth is that wealth is wealth; the chaos will aid us as long as we keep out of it. I do not want to be hindered by not benefiting from the troubles of others.”

“As you may wish my lord” went Boro Car. “Your wisdom is only exceeded by your vision.”

“Your loyalty is exceeded by your flattery, Boro of House Car” went Andreas of Bogatstvo. “I must, to the House Jurich, ensure that they, along with the other houses and my own, will not reek the ills of bloodshed but become fat from the fruits of the possible tensions. The assassion has granted us opportunity. No warrior must be left without a sword. Our labour is to make sure that enough of those swords were forged in Srabija, less they are swords of competing merchant powers.”

“Then I guess you have plans for a declaration to the houses of Srabija and the guides of Bogatstvo?” went the priestest Jaga. “You must heed well the words of the Lady of the Ebony Arrow. We must not contribute to the aggression while ensuring that the coffers of the Lady’s temples benefit from the contributions commencing forth of the vaults of your merchants.”

“I heed well” went Andreas. “Yes I will need a declaration. Yes I will ensure that the Lady smiles upon my donations to Her temples. I will also offer protection, not aggression, while benefiting the wealth of the faithful as the infidels grind their teeth at each other. It is not the interests of my Način children and my traditional sect faithful brethren in Malair. As long as we do not feed the enemies of Malair and my Bogatstvo in hunger for the blood of the faithful then we can say the chaos is a trial by the Lady to test the wroth and patience of all.”

“You speak not as a voice of the Lady my archduke” went the priestess. “Nevertheless your faith is unquestioned, even if you have not personally taken in the ways of Način.”

“Način, traditional, even the infidel are able to be blessed” went Andreas. “As the Poverenjen of this land learn the ways of the Lady and even in praticing their pagan ways embrace gradually adopt the words of the Lady so will the profit of our labours spread the word to the infidel and turn them to the Ebony Arrow and maybe even to Način preaches.”

“Then the High Preistest of the Način may watch and see how you handle yourself my lord” went the priestess.

“In that case I am prepared to alert the merchents and the ears of the houses of your journey to speak at the great guide hall in our city” went Boro Car. “I am ready to do my labour of spreading the word of your declaration for your payment.”

“Then clear your throat my lord and begin your labour for your subjects” went Jaga.

“Very well” went Andreas. “Are your truly prepared hand of Teodor Kasun?”

“Naturally” cried Boro Car.

Then Andreas drank from his goblet and cleared his throat; he rise from his seat and left for his chambers to prepare for the delcareation at the guide hall, while Boro Car and other advisors went to spread the word of the planned speech. Jakov Slobodan, patient in his services to his faith despite Andreas deep hope of how “merchant ways may spread the Arrow ways to the old ways of my realm,” would personally alert House Jurich, who would sent members of their household to sit and listen to the word of the Archduke.

Some time later, in the Great Guildhall in the city of Bogatstvo...

Spoiler the speech at the Great Guildhall in the city of Bogatstvo :
Heed well my subjects, o loyal servants of Bogatstvo, my fellow followers of the Ebony Arrow and those Poverenjen who gradually adopt the teachings of the Lady! Heed well for chaos echoes and we must be vigilant! Heed well for what I will set cometh towards thy ears! What I say today is for the future of our prosperity!

Wealth aids not only the fatness of our vaults but the quality of our arms, the wood of our ships, the strength of our farmers’ labour and the tithe of the Lady’s temples. As you all know I have echoed that the acts of the Arots may result in tragedy but that this tragedy need not be tragic for the neutral realm that I most proudly govern! Chosen by the divine judgement of our Lady I heed my family’s wealth generation as once merchants to now know that House Venetianer is the ruling family of this beautiful realm. Our own instincts in the ways of wealth must be practiced as we see possible tensions as the assassination equates tension and tension equates chaos. Pejo Jurich teached us that the tragic occurrence that is tension may be fruitful for those not caught up in it. We must profit from chaos so that we may pay our tithe to the Ebony Arrow. The wealth of my Archduchy can only benefit if we play this game correctly. I hence declare that it is the duty of the merchant to bring us wealth. You merchants are to us as professional fighters are to warrior kingdoms! You must hence prove yourselves merchants for your houses, your realm, this great city, your Archduke!

You must head forth to the lands of chaos merchants of Bogatstvon. Bring forth your weapons, your horses, your armor, your arrows, along with the mercenaries in your connection. Be fruitful in your trade with those with burden with this times of danger. Sell to the Storm Islanders their bolts. Sell helmets to Copperhead. Sell hoof and lance to the Langoans. Sell to Deargwin II of Arthendal any fine horses to you may offer. Sell studs also to Tareen. Sell to any Arot groups supply wagons. Try to sell your goods if possible to the Northerners as well so that they too can benefit from the fruits of the merchant tree of Bogatstvo. Spread out the price for hiring Bogatstvon mercenaries bands that may be eager to test their hoofs and arrows in competition with the Mittekrieger’s services. Do not allow any sign that we favor any faction above all, save for our fellow followers of the faith of the Ebony Arrow in case the tensions may engulf them. We must be in one with our fellow faithful.

We will provide the hoofs to their enemies’ heads and the swords to their foes hearts. Yet we must not be the bringers of war but rather those that prepare. Indeed one could say we are doing a service by ensuring all are so well armed that enemies may fear each other and be too afraid to take the first step into battle. Whether this dream becomes reality has yet to be seen but know that the rivalries may spew forth if possible and we must be ready to act like crows for the wealth of the Archduchy! Nevertheless you must be carrion, not predator; weapons supplier, not war supplier. Be ready to do your services but do not make us in ill status. We must do our best to benefit. We will not benefit if we burn ourselves while supplying the wood for a possible fire. This is the chance of possibility; we must supply the possibility without encouraging it and without being of it. We are a merchant power, not a war realm. Our mercenaries are merchants with hoof and arrow, not war bringers.

To this end the guides, houses and other merchants of the Archduchy of Bogatstvo must take advantage! The chaos will benefit us! Those we sell to will be armed to the teeth on hoof and with sword. Boot and arrow will enjoy your offers. Our vaults will grow fat till it busts. Hoof and coin benefit our way. Chaos brings profit! As long as we keep out of the chaos we will profit! Do not encourage the tension; just do your duty in supplying the arms and mounts need. We are the servants of time!

Go forth my subjects! Bring wealth to yourselves, your families, your cities, your duchy and to the Archduchy of Bogatstvo! Take more speed in your services but do consider taking less haste if needed to keep us out of bloodbaths. In the end we will make profit from chaos! From aims cometh profit! Aim well from the chaos! The Lady guide your moves!

I had some problems initially with the language but got used to it pretty quickly and its a great story Ailedhoo- very insightful into your people.

You can post them in public if you wish, but please PM them to us even if you do.

Also, the player list is fully updated here.

Please let me know if I missed you. Same goes with religion (here).

To: The Esteemed, King Armen of House Haadrade, of The Bangor Holds
From: The Esteemed, King Loram II of House Telaara, of The Kingdom of Telaar

Greetings King Armen,

I come bearing gifts, and a proposal of a potential betrothal between your son, and heir Prince Jaarl and my daughter, Princess Marsell. We are hoping this deal, along with a hefty dowry, is agreeable to you and your nation. We are looking to right past wrongs, and secure our friendships with those our nation has wronged in the past.

We pray, and we hope that you will look favorably upon, and accept this offer. We await your response.

Family Tree:

Spoiler :

* Denotes Heir.

Princess Saesa (King Loram II's sister) Is currently married to Lord Robar of House Olyene (A vassal of the Kingdom -- this marriage was made to attempt to forge an alliance between these two rival houses and has thus far worked fairly well).

UU Proposal for Kishlah

The mainstay of Islander culture for thousands of years has been the tradition of "Storming," where by an Islander strong man would, in the stormy (and therefore hard to farm and fish) months gather together a crew of men and the occasional warrior woman, and leave on trading and pillaging expeditions along the coast of Auronas. Target villages would be carefully observed, and if it was determined that the Storm party was stronger than the village, the village would be sacked and slaves and loot taken, while, if the Stormers were weaker, trade would be initiated.
The key to this tradition was the Lightning ship, a rowed ship with a very shallow keel, able to beach itself and traverse rivers with little difficulty. It's main weakness under the islanders was the inability to traverse deep oceans. With the Kishlahi invasion, ship building techniques honed for generations of distant oversease trade were imported to the Storm islands, allowing for the construction of ships with all the strengths of the ancestral Lightning ships as well as the long range capabilities of traditional Kishlahi vessels.

So you practice slavery?

Also note that 'traverse deep ocean' does not mean 'navigate open waters'.

So you practice slavery?

Also note that 'traverse deep ocean' does not mean 'navigate open waters'.

Traditional Islander did (though not in the the Modern sense of slavery. More like Norse Thralls than anything else.) Kishlahi populations have a tradition of indentured servitude with a set, pre-agreed time limit to it, but are opposed to the slaving traditions of Islanders.

Immac: What do you mean by "Also note that 'traverse deep ocean' does not mean 'navigate open waters'?" I'm basing these on Viking Longships, which HAD the capability to do that.

Xonarae Order of the Bow Initiate

The Xonarae Order of the Bow was established long ago (rumor saying right after Xonarae left after training mankind). The Order tasks were to protect the kingdom for outside invaders and help with the safeguard of the nation treasure The Ebony Arrow. The Order is very special military organization since it allow females to joined the ranks since in the past they have proven just as capable in archery (prove being that some of the recruits were Worshipper of Xonarae priestess). Xonarae Bow Initiate training pushes the recruits to best utilizes theirs skills in precision, speed, and dexterity. Afters passing the grueling training recruits are given the title Bow Initiate and are hand their well crafted hard Leather Armor which is made by House Ashboar skilled fur craftsmen and hand an Ebony bow that is crafted from the ebony trees in House Ebonear lands. The Ebony Bow is the life blood of an Xonarae Bow Initiate and to lose it mean that you are not worthy of being Bow Initiate. That why when an Xonarae Bow Initiate dies they always hold on to their bow.

Xonarae Bow Initiate Male & Female At the bottom

Attachments

• 1171887-archer_male_518x800.jpg
    1171887-archer_male_518x800.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 171
  • archerfemale441x800.jpg
    archerfemale441x800.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 141
So are the archer initiates some kind of stealthy sneaky archer commandos, or just damn good bowmen.

We'll put a due date for orders up as soon as i post stats. I almost finished the trade section of the stats last night and that was the most complex part so we're probably on schedule to have them to you by Friday.

UU Proposal for Tareen

Forest Dwellers

Inhabitants of the local forest, these men are always ready to defend their homes. They are composed of local woodcutters and hunters, so they usually carry bows and axes to fight. Their fighting style is defensive, and mainly focused on the art of ambushing the enemy, so their skills are best utilized in forests, especially their own forest. Their disadvantage is that they are vulnerable in the open field, and are especially vulnerable to cavalry, but while they remain in their forests these weaknesses should not be a problem.

OOC: Well, I do not know what category they could join, as they fall into the category of archers and light infantry. They are not trained, but they are experts at what they do, after all, their methods of combat are associated with their professions.

This is an OK tool to make coat of arms with. It's very slow though. I suggest that if you use it, at least have some of your colors accord to your map color :)

Araskamemni Coat of Arms:

Sorry: stats are NOT done.

That said the new UU list is up (see first page). Sorry to those of you who didn't get their suggestions.

And oh- don't worry little birds- you think i wouldn't give you a little something else extra? (*) Here are the 'trade regions' and the amount of tax being generated from trade flowing through them on turn 1:

Trade Regions:

Pearls-Skagar 80
Iraaskal-Skagar 77
Squalls-Spotted Sea 66
Terrin Bay 88
Spotted-Itshin 80
Sea of Whispers 89
Shipwreck Sea 55
Casmin-Zegat 107
Casmin-Plodon 82
Tevmas-Stanchion 72
Sea of Cinders 58