TLKNES: Belle Epoque

The stats should be updated. I'll admit, I sort of messed myself up with the typical way I do the stats, so look out for mistakes. I'll make sure I don't lose track again like I did this time. ;)

Also, this turn I changed the price of naval units a bit, by reducing them. That goes for designs as well. No you do not get a refund. This is a change just going forward, and I reserve the right to tweak it again, if I see fit.

EDIT: I also sent out relevant PMs to people. If you don't know what I'm talking about, this doesn't include you. If you think you should have gotten one, and didn't, message me, it's totally possible I overlooked you.

Map and stats do not reflect the French withdrawal from Ryukyu after the curbstomp incident in Japan. That's the only inaccuracy I see right off the bat ;)

To: Austria

We are uninterested in the possibilities for compromise and even more uninterested in Venice's "need" for colonies. Venice will accept the generous offer the French Empire has made, against its better judgment, to compensate the Venetians for brazenly and stupidly transgressing against a region of French interest and against French goodwill, or Venice will suffer the requisite consequences. His Imperial Majesty's foreign office will, if Venice does not acquiesce, contact the Austrian Emperor in order to ensure these consequences are not debilitating towards the investment of time and resources Venice represents for the Austrian state.

From Austria
To France

Ultimatums are a dangerous business, Emperor. Austria is committed to defending Venice against outside attacks, and so your threat of war against an ally of ours is something of immediate concern to our monarchy. The ease with which France issues belligerent statements is very worrying, and we'd suggest you immediately move discussions of the matter to a more private setting.

Map innacuracies will be fixed as soon as I can tomorrow, as will front page discrepencies. I will also respomd to the torrent of (semi-hostile?) PMs as soon as I get a moment. I would like for you all to figure out how you want to handle this Congress, be it through a social group, using the Pre-Thread, etc. that was I can figure out another reasonable deadline. I think for the purposes of this, Im going to set two deadlines, one for the Congress and one for the update, that way you all arent battling all the way to the buzzer, and you can all agree to a reprieve until next year if need be. Thoughts?

Idle Conversation

“This is a new age, Richard. My ancestors defeated Hus in Bohemia, then Luther and Calvin. Their military perspicacity overcame the tide of the reformation, but alas, we don’t face poorly organized and embittered nobles, impoverished by their division. We encounter the Czech, not a cynical advocate of the German Liberties, nor any religious peasant’s revolt – certainly not. This is their idea of personhood – and by my imperfect rule, by tiresome charms and exacting servitude, loyalty to the Emperor must combat the nationalist not by the brilliant marshalling of Wallenstein, but the persuasion of the people. They must wish for my rule – not merely tolerate it. The momentum of this country behind the body of their Emperor.”

“A kind of… Habsburg nationalism. Does this not imply abdication of the Großdeutsche Lösung?”

“This isn’t a policy for Germans. This is a policy for the Czech, the Hungarian, the Croatian.”

“Won’t they see your duplicity?”

“Brute nationalists don’t think so deeply, Richard, and regardless, should loyalty to Lorraine-Habsburg be insufficient, we’ve always Wallenstein.”

I was going to start a new thread in this forum for the conference, actually.

I'm good with the idea of having a seperate deadline for the Conference and then for orders. That would make things a lot easier. :)

7 Febbraio 1881
Editoriale di Opinione

Gentlemen, many of you have heard about the incident in Guinea. The French have arrogantly demanded a colony which we had first, and are now threatening war. While hopefully, the Congress of Genoa will resolve the issue for its rightful owner, Venice, it is clear that this conflict is no longer just over a clump of dirt in Africa. It is about Venice's honor and place in the world. Venice will not bow down to the evil bullying of France. If France threatens war, Venice will still remain steadfast. Let us be clear to all spectators, Venetians, and French- Africa is a mole hill next to the volcano about to erupt about Venice's honor and status as a European power. If France regards Venice as anything but that, they will eventually regret it.

-Luca Marteno, Venezia

Hey,

To: The Empire of Brazil

We look for a major trading partner in South America.

Treaty of Suwon
Spoiler :
Article 1 provides:
There shall be perpetual peace and friendship between the President of the United States and the Emperor Gojong of the Korean Empire and the citizens and subjects of their respective Governments. If other powers deal unjustly or oppressively with either Government, the other will exert their good offices on being informed of the case to bring about an amicable arrangement, thus showing their friendly feelings.
Article 2 ... exchange of diplomatic and consular representatives
Article 3 ... Empire of Brazil extraterritorial jurisdiction over its citizens in Korea
Article 4 ... Korean Empire extraterritorial jurisdiction over its citizens in Brazil
Article 5 ... merchants and merchant vessels shall reciprocally pay duties
Article 6 ... reciprocal rights of residence and protection of citizens of both nations
Article 7 ... prohibiting export or import of opium
Article 8 ... export of "breadstuffs" and red ginseng
Article 9 ... regulating importation of arms and ammunition
Article 10 .. reciprocal rights to employing native labor
Article 12 .. students exchanges
Article 13 .. Slaves are property and will be afforded the same protections
Article 14 .. Most-Favored-Nation Status. Reduced tariffs & trade point swap :D.

Signed, Emperor Gojong of the Korean Empire. Land of the Morning Calm.

KBE001

To: The Persian Nation

Your continued aggression and movements into lands we consider our own is both worrisome, and troubling. We demand that your forays into The Khivan Khanate ends immediately, and additionally we demand you turn over the traditionally Russian lands you have secured in Central Asia and retreat back to your traditional homeland (IRL Iran's borders).

Failure to comply to this request, or respond within 24 hours will be seen as a rejection, and an aggressive action.

To the Netherlands
From Japan

The Emperor would like to engage in closer relations between our nations:
Treaty of Nagasaki
Art 1: Japan agrees to not interfere with Dutch interests in East Asia
Art 2: The port city of Nagasaki will remain a Dutch concession for another century
Art 3: Japan engages itself to protect Dutch citizens on Japanese ground
Art 4: Both nations agree to engage in broader trade relations. Favored exports are silk and other luxury items
Art 5: Dutch trade in Japan is given preferential tarrifs
Art 6: Dutch companies may invest freely in Japan
Art 7: The Netherlands agree to seek in helping Japan modernize its economy

to Great Britain
British companies are of course also given the right to invest and expand freely within Japan. The Emperor humbly asks for help of British scientists, scholars and engineers in establishing a unversity in Osaka and in Kyoto. In return, the Emperor will provide monetary compensation. mperor offers to e
(OOC: this would consist of about 5-10 EP)

To California, USA, New England
The Kingdom of the Rising sun is looking for trade partners and investors overseas. In proof of goodwill the Emperor offers these nations a reduction of 20% on any trade they conduct within Japan.

Taisha Tenno, Emperor of the Rising Sun

Patent Acquisition and Dissemination Act of February, 1880

A man, having grown in wisdom and patience in the face of the advancing years, is expected to love nothing more than to spend his remaining time with giggling grandchildren, to play made-up games with wooden and tin soldiers, to sing a song, or to read. But President Nathan Bedford Forrest eschewed expectation; he found the high-pitched excitable voices, the squeeling and giggling of their laughter an annoyance. He could not understand why his sons did not order their childrens’ nannies to take a tighter rein with the grandchildren. Now they were fighting amongst themselves and the youngest had skinned his knee. Tears ran down his cheeks and as Forrest closed the door to the smoking room, he could see great wobbling clogs of mucus hanging, unknown, from her nose.

No, President Forrest had no patience for children, even his own grandchildren. Generally, expect perhaps in battle, where it was its own sort of excitement, patience was not something he enjoyed exercising. It was perhaps, at least in part, the fast pace and ever-changing demands of the presidency that drew him to the command. Now he had a meeting to attend to and, accepting a Cuban state cigar from his aide and placing it between his teeth, he drew in a deep breath, finally relaxing as returned to the problems of the state.

The Secretary of Commerce seemed eager to speak and the president nodded to his old friend and fellow cavalryman.

“Businessmen, plantation farmers, and industrialists continue to discuss the issue of slavery,” Secretary Chalmers began, “and we must also.”

The other men in the room slowly smoked their cigars and settled in. Secretary Chalmers was not a man prone to needless prattle or even to often contribute to discussion but when he did, it was usually something he had prepared. Recognizing the cadence of a prepared speech, they made no move to interrupt him.

“The Department of Commerce obviously sees the attacks by abolitionists less as a national security concern, though it is one, as much as it is an interruption of the flow of trade and an attack upon our industrial and economic might. But gentlemen, in the long-run, it is unlikely that these attacks will end.”

There were mumbled grumbles of agreement. President Forrest nodded without sound and began to pace the room; he had a hard time sitting still, even now.

“Indeed, there is also a concern that the slaves our economy was traditionally built upon, and is still very much dependent upon, will become increasingly rarer…. and not just due to the attacks. In our grandfathers’ days, slaves were primarily used in field and farms and could expect a fairly long life, raising many children to replace them. So even after the closure of the Atlantic slave trade, our numbers were secure. Now, already we are seeing a surge in the demand for slaves as the industrialists and factory-owners of the nation turn to them to run the machines and assemble the products of their factories. Not only does the demand increase as the cities factories grow in size and number but the conditions of the factories often mean that the slaves themselves die an early death, unable to replace their number.”

Herein the Secretary of war, Longstreet spoke up, “Our businesses and plantations have not felt too greatly the burden you describe. Are you sure you are not overstating your case?”

“No sir,” Chalmers replied, “Though the prices of slaves have not significantly increased, average prices have been going continually up, and appear to be accelerating. You may not feel the pinch on your best plantation workers who can command high prices in the country but are not as requisite in the cities, but smaller men and women are seeing increasing demand and higher prices throughout the nation. And while it is not yet a matter of concern, if we do not act now, it may well be a dominant one in ten years.”

Again Longstreet spoke up, “What do you suggest? Do we acquire more slaves? Every European and their pig-nosed dog is racing for Africa; should we do the same and carve for ourselves a land from which to replenish our stocks?”

Chalmers appeared to consider his elder’s suggestion for a moment, “It is not what I had in mind. Instead, what if we could make each slave tomorrow as productive as three of his brethren yesterday? I have recently had the opportunity to visit St. Louis where a vender was selling a miraculous machine capable of both reaping a harvest and automatically bundling it and laying it upright, all powered by a single horse. I tell you that on my plantation, we use a horse-drawn reaper but that the slave-women follow behind and gather the grain, bundling it and laying it to dry.”

The men of the room smoke silently, some nodding in agreement, some merely thoughtful.

“Inspired by this device, I had my aides visit the libraries of commerce and law and scour the patent literature and they have found patents for many miraculous machines able to amplify the work of man or horse. Since then, my aides have spent the last four months visiting inventors both here in the united states but also in Britain and France, in Austria and Prussia. They have returned with a wide plethora of devices that could make our slaves much more productive. I suggest we buy or lease the patents they hold on their inventions. Make these inventors rich men and in the process, bring the wealth of their creativity and knowledge to our farms and factories, our mines and mills.”

The men of the room were attentive now. Over the next three hours Commerce Secretary Chalmers outlined his plan to import the industrial tools and techniques of the world, to subsidize their implementation, and to use that know-how to drive new innovation at two new polytechnics to be opened in the coming year. The plan was an ambitious one, and expensive, but ultimately it gained the approval of the executive, who’s Constitutional party prided themselves, amongst other things, on modernity.

On February 9th, 1880, the Patent Acquisition and Dissemination bill was signed into law and, over the next several month, Mr. Chalmers’ department oversaw the refitting of over 600 mills and factories, over 140 mines and quarries, and over 6200 plantations and farms with a variety of new labor-saving industrious machines designed all throughout the world. And indeed, the year 1881 saw a steady and continuous drop in slave prices.

The Missouri Crossing Agreement

Signatories hereby declare war upon the Sioux tribes, citing their rebellion and violence against the peoples of the United States, Canada, and Michigan.

Signatories hereby pledge to cooperate and coordinate their military actions against the Sioux aggressors. This includes allowing the entry of signatory nation military elements into their territories while in pursuit of Sioux forces (though only on a temporary basis and only within a reasonable distance of shared borders).

Signatories agree to return property (including slaves), prisoners, and fallen soldiers reclaimed from the Sioux to the nations of their rightful owners.

Signatories agree to coordinate their efforts to identify foreign nationals involved in destabilizing the region and in arming the Sioux aggressors. Signatories agree to coordinate and cooperate in response to the identified foreign nations caught supplying or agitating the Sioux population- the specifics of which can be agreed to at a later date as required.

Signatories agree, that once the Sioux threat has been neutralized, borders shall return to their pre-existing positions.

Signed, His Majesty Victor I, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland king, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India.

Signed, William Gladstone, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

To: All Concerned Parties
CC: Bolivia, Peru

Upon investigation of the incidents preceding the ongoing Bolivian-Peruvian confrontation, and reflection on French interest for peace and prosperity in the region, it is the position of His Imperial Majesty's government that Peru's invasion of Bolivia constitutes wanton and unwarranted aggression that ought to be punished or at least opposed and under no circumstances condoned by the international community, the so-called fraternity of nations. In the interest of peace, the French Empire offers its service as a mediator in this dispute, and hopes to maintain a status quo throughout the Pacific which is in line with the end goal of peace, prosperity and beneficence for all mankind. We will be watching events in this arena closely.

I was bored and it's good to reference back to,

Great 8 Economic Powers

1. France (416 EP)
  2. United Kingdom (373 EP)
  3. United States (368 EP)
  4. Russia (340 EP)
  5. Austria (232 EP)
  6. Ottoman Empire (214 EP)
  7. Prussia (207 EP)
  8. Spain (159 EP)

To: The Russian Empire
CC: the United Kingdom

We will not bow to Russian expansion in our own backyard. We have acted in our own self-interests in the same manner that you have, why the double-standard?

To: The Japanese Empire

We will happily sign the Treaty of Nagasaki.

To: Japan

We're afraid our merchants are a bit busy; otherwise we would! (they have no trade slots left)

To: The Japanese Empire

We wouldn't receive much benefit from such a transaction - our interests already lay with your neighbors. Perhaps in the future?

To: The Korean Empire

We will sign a trade agreement with you, send you more industrialists, and dedicate ourselves to helping you modernize in exchange for protecting New English business interests in the area, and a concession in the Port of Ulsan.

To: The French Empire
CC: The World

We appreciate the offer of mediation from the fair French Empire. Bolivian blood was spilled on Bolivian soil - a fact that should make our offensives just and good in the eyes of the world community! We will accept peace at borders status quo, and in exchange will seek no reparations from the Peruvian dogs that started this conflict.

We seek no help from a European power in this matter. Let us Americans handle ourselves.

To: Europe, specifically the French Empire, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, the Austrian Empire
CC: Greece

See what dastardly designs the Greeks have on our possessions! Like a snake, they waited until our attention was elsewhere to strike. They even made an attempt on our Sultans life! We request help to suppress the Greeks, so that trade through the Aegean may flow freely again.

To: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Venice

We are a people that have been repressed for too long. We stand alone against the tyrannical forces of Bonapartism, and look to the true powers in the Mediterranean for aid. Help us please!

To: European Powers, specifically Austria and France

The charade is up, and the people have spoken. Allow for the citizens of Italy to decide for themselves whether or not a unified Italy is in their best interests.

To: The Russian Empire

We don't want your Jews, and will be deporting all that come to our lands from yours over the next few years.

To: All True Believers

The end is near. It is time to rise!

To: The United States of America, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

You have oppressed us for far too long. Your settlers wreak havoc on our lands - you leave us no choice but to fight. We will happily sit down and try to work out a real, fair peace deal with both of you, though we are prepared to fight to the last if need be.

To: The World
CC: The Revolution

Do not fear. Democracy and free elections will return to the CAR within the next few years, when everything stabilizes.

To: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Patagonia is homeland of the Mapuche, a people that wish to be under Chilean rule. Allow for our annexation of Patagonia, and the Mapuche will leave your settlers and soldiers be.

Portugal and the Netherlands have yet to come to a conclusion in regards to the skirmish in the East Indies. Both sides have sent reinforcements to the area, and it looks like a shooting war is a real possibility.

Sul has no intention of compensating Paraguay for the loss of it's ship, goods or citizens in the recent "fishy" explosion. Paraguay has made it apparent that it intends to react militarily to this slight.

The Congress of Genoa is officially to end this Friday.

Orders due by this weekend; aim for Saturday, though I'll accept them through Sunday.

What are the base stats of ships? I know the specifications of the unique designs, but not how they compare to the ordinary units exactly.

What are the base stats of ships? I know the specifications of the unique designs, but not how they compare to the ordinary units exactly.

The base stats for all the basic units are just a flat 1 across the board.

EDIT: I also want to say that I smiled at the RP'ing you guys have been up to. Things are just starting to get interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing what you all can do.

To: All Concerned Parties
CC: Bolivia, Peru

Upon investigation of the incidents preceding the ongoing Bolivian-Peruvian confrontation, and reflection on French interest for peace and prosperity in the region, it is the position of His Imperial Majesty's government that Peru's invasion of Bolivia constitutes wanton and unwarranted aggression that ought to be punished or at least opposed and under no circumstances condoned by the international community, the so-called fraternity of nations. In the interest of peace, the French Empire offers its service as a mediator in this dispute, and hopes to maintain a status quo throughout the Pacific which is in line with the end goal of peace, prosperity and beneficence for all mankind. We will be watching events in this arena closely.

We appreciate the offer of mediation from the fair French Empire. Bolivian blood was spilled on Bolivian soil - a fact that should make our offensives just and good in the eyes of the world community! We will accept peace at borders status quo, and in exchange will seek no reparations from the Peruvian dogs that started this conflict.

We seek no help from a European power in this matter. Let us Americans handle ourselves.

To: Peru, Bolivia, France

We would ask that the French withdraw their offer of mediation and that mediation of American affairs be handled by American nations. The USA, as guarantor of the Americas via the Atlanta Compact, offers itself to mediate the dispute.

The USA will first state that Peruvian claims to lands that Bolivia occupies DO have some validity and that in truth the the peace proposed by Bolivia smells of more ill-gotten land grabs.

But let us be clear, as the French have said, we in no way condone the violent turn of events that Peru has undertaken. The Peruvians should have sought mediation on the world court before turning to violence.

In the face of Bolivian claims to traditional Peruvian lands, and the demand for still more lands as a cost for peace, we must state that, legally and justly, the peace suggested by the Bolivians is not a fair one and certainly one that will no doubt lead to long-standing resentment and more hostilities in the years to come.

The USA commits itself to finding a fair and just peace between Peru and Bolivia and will be speaking with the involved parties privately before publicly declaring any agreement.
To: The United States of America, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

You have oppressed us for far too long. Your settlers wreak havoc on our lands - you leave us no choice but to fight. We will happily sit down and try to work out a real, fair peace deal with both of you, though we are prepared to fight to the last if need be.

To: Sioux traitors

Your actions speak for themselves and they run opposite to your words. When words and actions do not agree, one must judge a person on his actions, not his empty rhetoric. The last thing you sought was a fair peace. You sought war. And now you will have war.

To Canada, Michigan
From USA

Great Britain has signed the The Missouri Crossing Agreement. Will you?

To: The World
CC: The Revolution

Do not fear. Democracy and free elections will return to the CAR within the next few years, when everything stabilizes.

From the USA
To the Central American Republic

Should you require assistance, we are ready to stand by you.

To: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Patagonia is homeland of the Mapuche, a people that wish to be under Chilean rule. Allow for our annexation of Patagonia, and the Mapuche will leave your settlers and soldiers be.

To Great Britain
From the USA

In our private agreement regarding Oregon, you had promised that you would leave the Americas alone (other than your dominions and your own lands). You have reneged on these terms by settling Patagonia. We ask that you kindly reconsider your actions and remove your settlers.

To Chile, Brazil, and the World
From USA

As per the precedent set forth by Congress of Genoa and the manner in which claims are laid down therein, the USA hereby dedicates itself to the colonization and administration of the Patagonian region, in conjunction with Chile and with Brazil.

The USA, Chile and Brazil shall come to a jointly agreed upon division of said lands and present them to the world community once borders have been agreed to amongst ourselves. We ask that the Europeans content themselves with Africa and Asia and leave the colonization of the Americas to the Americans.

Top Bottom