While We Wait: (Almost) Anything Goes

Anyway, everyone had a little fun with that.
So much that mentions of Argentina in chat get calls of "where again?" every so often, and "argentina thread" is the IOT version of WWW.
EDIT:
Also, hi, I guess. I haven't done much NESing, but there's a time to start anything, right?

First, a quick question: How many English NESers do we have and how many Scottish NESers do we have, and what are views on today's referendum? As an American, I'm hoping the Scottish finally do what we started and put a final sword into the heart of the British Empire.

So, since I need to appear productive at the moment and typing random stuff appears productive, here I go with a bit of a story and my thoughts on a number of video games. Every so often when I'm highly anticipating a new game, I enter a phase where all of my old games begin to bore me and I struggle to figure out which one to play. This year, with barely anything good coming out until 2015 (only Beyond Earth to look forward to in the foreseeable future), I've hit these doldrums pretty hard. I've done what I could by playing Civ5, Crusader Kings 2, and a heavily modded Skyrim. One by one though, each of these games have completely lost my interest and I've been desperate for anything new and interesting.

So first I tried Blitzkrieg anthology and beat that in a single sitting. I don't recommend it, too easy for anyone with the slightest experience at strategy games. All you have to do is use your artillery to slowly demolish everything, and the AI is pretty lousy at responding, slowly driving or walking across the map to your entrenched positions, while your artillery reduces them to nothing.

Then I tried Ageod's Civil War 2, and frankly wasn't that impressed. It has a lot of detail sure, but the UI leaves a lot to be desired, and it doesn't seem like that much of an improvement over the original.

My brother bought me Dark Souls for my birthday this year, and I tried that too, and decided I could achieve the same level of enjoyment by punching cement blocks in the hopes of breaking them. I know people rave about it, but frankly, I found the whole grinding business monotonous, as though someone distilled the absolute worst parts of RPG mechanics and put it into a game. Maybe it gets better with more time, but after two hours, I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Then came State of Decay. I had been sort of eyeing this ever since it came on Xbox Live, and I bought it when it first came out, but never really had the time to come back and try it out properly. It's an interesting take on the zombie apocalypse and comes fairly close to being an awesome experience. However, when you get right down to it, all the characters are interchangeable, and while permadeath is present, there was rarely any emotional kick to it with a couple of exceptions. Also the controls really suck on the PC and are dodgy at best on the 360. Also, I was really unhappy at the persistent world thing, as I didn't even know it existed until I didn't play it for a week and came back to find everything in chaos.

Then, over the past two nights I believe I have reached the promised land of zombie games, or at least a vision of it. The game Dead State is probably tied for best zombie game out there with DayZ. If you've ever read World War Z (screw the movie) or the Zombie Survival Guide, this is pretty much a game taking place in those universes. It also very heavily borrows from the Walking Dead. It's not official, but the zombies are the slow shambling types, and the creators of the game got the zombie genre right: It's the people and the choices they make that create the true horror and drama, not the zombies themselves, who are not much more than a walking hazard or environmental threat. The graphics aren't bad, and if you were ever a fan of the original Fallout games, you'll recognize a lot mechanically. The tutorial is nonobtrusive and easily skipped if you've already done it. The writing, while not incredible, is solid, and people speak as people actually speak. Similarly, the characters you talk to will change their statements based on what you've said to them in the past, and nothing you say or do exists in isolation. All characters can die, and if you die, that's it. I haven't completed the game yet, and it has proven to be an actual challenge on top of strong mechanics. My only problem with it at the moment is the inventory system, which is a bit clunky. Other than that, I really recommend that any of your who like the old style PC rpgs like Fallout or want a zombie game that's more about building a shelter and survival, but don't want the multiplayer experience of DayZ, this is the one you're looking for.

First, a quick question: How many English NESers do we have and how many Scottish NESers do we have, and what are views on today's referendum? As an American, I'm hoping the Scottish finally do what we started and put a final sword into the heart of the British Empire.

The Scots stand true! Forward, Britain, reclaim your place under the Sun! Your favoured son Canada stand with you to reclaim your way-son to the south! First our brother America, next, the Australia! Then, the World! Ave, True to Britannia!

It's really quiet here now it feels like.

Sad really.

That's because all the cool kids left.

I've always hated that term. Partially because in my high school "cool" meant "thuggish drug addict that lives on welfare until they die", so I try not to use it.

I've always hated that term. Partially because in my high school "cool" meant "thuggish drug addict that lives on welfare until they die", so I try not to use it.

That's so true.

I always hated people who felt superior because circumstance, environment, upbringing and genetics had given them a better hand.

Wowee, alright guys

What? I'm really just commenting on how a popular term has no connection to it's "official" meaning to me or, probably, many people in the world.

What? I'm really just commenting on how a popular term has no connection to it's "official" meaning to me or, probably, many people in the world.

You guys sure have the social universe of adolescence and early adulthood figured out

:crazyeye:

You guys sure have the social universe of adolescence and early adulthood figured out

Yup. I was there a few years ago. I am only talking about what my high school experience makes me think when I hear the phrase "cool kids"; a group of slackers that spent their free time at school smoking or camping out in a stub-hallway insulting and teasing people who walked past, and had no probable future beyond becoming the worst sort of welfare sponge.

I'm still in the world of adolescence. I experience the social world of adolescence every business day.

Yup. I was there a few years ago. I am only talking about what my high school experience makes me think when I hear the phrase "cool kids"; a group of slackers that spent their free time at school smoking or camping out in a stub-hallway insulting and teasing people who walked past, and had no probable future beyond becoming the worst sort of welfare sponge.

Those are the "cool kids" in a nutshell at my school, except they do that across the street from the school.

BSmith said:
I am sorry to see this letter. Let me make a couple of points:

- It has not been all that long since things happened. Rome wasn't built in a day. There has been and continues to be active discussion in Staff regarding NES moderation and the best way forward that considers both the NESing community and CFC Staff needs and requirements. To say that nothing has happened is not accurate. Be patient and be a part of the solution. You are not going to be privy to the private staff discussions, but to say noting is happening is false.

See here's the problem with this point, and it is applicable to issues going on in cfc. When you put discussion into a private forum, even if discussion is occurring, to us non-moderators it appears as if no progress is being made. In fact, it appears as though the moderators are actively ignoring the problem in hopes it will just go away. This is especially relevant given the recent animosity between NES and the moderation team. You're only serving to inflame an already rather pissed off group and push away even those who were willing to stick by cfc when things were getting bad. And these sentiments are further justified given the progress of the language subforum proposal in which we were told to "let discussion proceed among the moderators" and we did. When we checked in see if any progress was made, we were "told" that the moderators had completely ignored the proposal for the past 9 months. You guys want to take your time to make sure you get things right. That's admirable. But to an outside observer "proceeding carefully" isn't so far off from "sitting on your ass doing nothing". If you're going to go at a glacial pace, I would recommend giving us some kind of regular updates informing us of what is going on, or else we the posters are forced to recourse to one of two options: pester ad nauseum until something gets done, or quit altogether

The Army's not that bad.

This has been posted both here and on the Don't Cry For Me Argentina thread over on IOTs for everyone's convenience. It's true, I am now a moderator for CFC. After talking to Lefty, it has been agreed that I will only be focused on issues on the IOT and NES forums, and I hope to clear the air on a few things in this troubled time:

1. Above all else, I remain an NESer, and will always be one. My priority will always be the NESes, or other forum games, I either run or play in. Should being moderator of the forum ever truly interfere with that, I will quit on the spot.

2. I am moderator now because of one reason, this is in response to those NESers who have requested an active one of their own to be moderator of the forum. I want to see this forum survive and thrive, and so I accepted the offer. There is no ulterior motive on behalf of the moderator staff, this is simply a response to requests made.

3. I am an honest man when it comes to anything beyond playing in NESes. If you ask me a question, I will tell you the truth if I know it. If I make a decision or inflict an infraction upon someone, I will be crystal clear in exactly why I did it and will happily explain the details. I will not disclose private moderator discussions or debates without approval from the involved moderators, but I will not lie about them either.

4. From both IOTers and NESers, I am looking for civility and maturity. All I ask is that before you post something, think about it. We are all here because we enjoy our current hobby, and all I want is to make sure that both you and I continue to enjoy these games in a community we can support.[/

EQ, firstly my sincere congratulations on becoming a junior mod of NES-IoT. Sadly I think this announcement is too late to bring anyone back, but I'm sure you'll help ease the atmosphere here.

I have to take offence at this, unless you meant it in a light-hearted way. Do I have to point out that there wouldn't have been a USA without the British? And for all their faults in colonial management circa late 18th century, you probably would not have wanted to live under French or Spanish colonial rule, for example? Do I have to point out that the USA is running a financial world empire right now that could be argued to be just as exploitative, if not more so?

Having said that, I was in favour of Scottish independence. I think it would've been great to shake things up. I think the USA and UK are similar, in being in the grip of an elitist financial-political culture that is ramping up inequality and destroying real wages, perhaps suicidally so. I think Scotland going independent would at least have made people think twice about a whole range of issues here in Britain, and it would be good to have some competition with London financial interests.

I have to take offence at this, unless you meant it in a light-hearted way. Do I have to point out that there wouldn't have been a USA without the British? And for all their faults in colonial management circa late 18th century, you probably would not have wanted to live under French or Spanish colonial rule, for example? Do I have to point out that the USA is running a financial world empire right now that could be argued to be just as exploitative, if not more so?

Not to mention that the Empire was at it's high long after American independence, and a free America did far more for it than a subservient one.

Top Bottom