Leaders

Putin? Outdated? Well he may not be the prez anymore, but he's pulled some strings to still be in charge.

Heck, Muammar Al-Gaddafi doesn't hold any public office, but he's still the leader of Libya. The same thing has happened with Deng Xiaoping in China.

yes that's true, another reason discussed about keeping Putin. Although now, Medvedev does look slightly more independent than he did when we decided this, but I don't want to get back into it. But those are the only two who are not officially their country's head of state.

These took NikNaks and myself considerable time to do, I personally am not planning on making any changes to any of them until everything else is done. Other people can go ahead and change traits, and of course skin leaderheads. Favorite civics will have to wait until civics get finished.

Al-Gaddafi doesn't hold any public office, but he is officially Libya's chief of state.

DVS old boy, its fine, something to put on the back burner for the time being :)

The work you and niknaks have done on LH and Traits has been great

Thanks dude.

I'm not sure about Jacob Zuma as South African president... I mean, the election is only in a few months, and for the first time, it's actually a heavily contested issue as to who will be our next president. Certainly it won't be Zuma if he is convicted in the current court trials.

Great, thanks for sharing. We're glad to have the input of someone who lives there. Who do you think it should be? Or should we just wait for the elections, and then update?

We can always just use Mandela as a placeholder until then, if Zuma offends or seems incorrect to you or anyone. :)

im thinking go with current for the time being (ala Pakistan) and update with v.2 if theres a new President.

Haha, no problem. Thabo Mbeki is probably the best choice *for now*. We currently have an acting president, due to Mbeki's resignation (politics :rolleyes:) following legal controversy surrounding the court cases against deputy president Jacob Zuma (separate charges of corruption and rape). So Mbeki resigned, and Zuma is not elected yet, and due to the criminal charges he is not allowed to take over as acting president. However the guy we currently have is a complete unknown. I don't even know his name. :D

So, I say, keep it at Thabo Mbeki, and if the election goes down before you release the mod, then update the game to reflect our new president. :) Or if you want to be 100% accurate, the current guy is Kgalema Motlanthe. Jacob Zuma was never president, and it is seeming increasingly unlikely to me that he will ever be.

hmm, ok.

We had Mbeki at first, but after his resignation we took him out. As much as he is the most well known, we didn't want anyone to waste time working on a leader that would definitely not be one of our final leaders. Right now we're aiming for Feb 28th as our release date, so the idea is to have as close as possible to the leaders on that day.

At the time I was starting to work on them, Zuma looked like the most likely candidate. I really haven't followed the situation there since. (getting behind on my Economist magazines lol)

Maybe we should just use Motlanthe. When is the election?

I believe it is "between April and June". Date has not been set yet... Don't know about the rest of the world but here the Independent Electoral Commission has to officially call an election, and then six weeks after that the election is held.

People are getting really disillusioned with Zuma, and his party (ANC), which used to get 69% of the vote, is now split in two, so the odds of him getting the majority vote are actually uncertain. That is if he manages to wriggle out of the corruption charges.

Feb 28th eh? I guess we all need a deadline to rise to! :D
I look forward to those elections in South Africa, they actually sound rather interesting.

These are interesting times, man... I mean, during Apartheid it was obviously always going to be a White government; and then after that was abolished it was obviously going to be a Black government because there are more previously oppressed black people in South Africa than there are white people. Now, for the first time, the one entity that 69% of the country voted for is split in two... Now, we will have our first truly democratic election.

Exciting times. :)

(If Zuma gets it I will leave the country, though.)

EDIT: I'm done hijacking your thread now. :D

If Jacob Zuma does win, though, I think we may have found what many people have wanted: a modern leader for the Zulu.

These are interesting times, man... I mean, during Apartheid it was obviously always going to be a White government; and then after that was abolished it was obviously going to be a Black government because there are more previously oppressed black people in South Africa than there are white people. Now, for the first time, the one entity that 69% of the country voted for is split in two... Now, we will have our first truly democratic election.

Exciting times. :)

(If Zuma gets it I will leave the country, though.)

If you don't mind my asking; do you oppose Zuma because of the corruption, due to political/ideological differences, or for another reason? Which candidate/party do you support?

My only sources of information on this election are the western press and what South African publications I have found online. I'd be very interested to hear anything you have to say on the subject.

henrebotha said:
I'm done hijacking your thread now. :D

I hope not! :)

If Jacob Zuma does win, though, I think we may have found what many people have wanted: a modern leader for the Zulu.
Truth. The unfortunate aspect of that is how every group in South Africa wants the country's leader to be one of them.
If you don't mind my asking; do you oppose Zuma because of the corruption, due to political/ideological differences, or for another reason? Which candidate/party do you support?

My only sources of information on this election are the western press and what South African publications I have found online. I'd be very interested to hear anything you have to say on the subject.
I oppose him because of the corruption, yes. I also oppose him for political and ideological differences. (I am a white male, btw.) In South Africa, Affirmative Action and Black Economic Empowerment are huge movements that are protected by law and will be around for some time yet as the country attempts to raise the previously-disadvantaged population up from the poverty-ridden ******** it dumped them in during Apartheid. However, this makes it exceedingly difficult for healthy white males to get decent jobs as there are (for instance) quotas that all businesses must meet in terms of minimum employment of non-white people, disabled people, HIV positive people, women, etc. Under Thabo Mbeki, this was already problematic for people like me. Under Zuma, it will likely get a hell of a lot worse because at every turn, he promises whoever asks that he'll give them exactly what they want. What the black population wants is education and jobs. His supporters, who are numerous, are fiercely loyal to him (in spite of the corruption charges), and he is as loyal to them. Hence, I don't foresee the situation in South Africa getting any better for me if Zuma gets elected.

There are other aspects too, such as the ANC's Marxist influences. The group that split themselves from the ANC formed a new party called COPE (Congress of the People, in honour of the 1955 congress that wrote what would become the ANC's manifesto). I am far more in favour of COPE than of the ANC because the latter split from the former due to what they saw as deviation from what the ANC used to stand for - equal rights for all (not just black people), and a country in union.

But the candidate I really want to see getting the job is Helen Zille. She's the Mayor of Cape Town and the leader of the Democratic Alliance, the official opposition. She's a no-nonsense chick and she's done . .. .. .. .ing wonders for Cape Town. I'd love to see someone like that in power because she has none of the racial hatred for what was done to "her people" in the past; yet simultaneously she wants to uplift this country economically, and knows the way to do it is via education and job creation.

(The problem in South Africa, one might argue, is that vast stretches of our land is undeveloped [build some cottages, dammit!] and that makes it difficult to actually find jobs for the majority. You should see the informal settlements surrounding the big cities.)

Isn't the leader for China Chairman Hu Jin Tao?
Wen Jia Bao is the Prime Minister right?

Why haven't you put Gordon Bron as the leader of NATO? In a confederation of nation, usually Civ puts the most important leader; in this case, it's Brown.

European Union has a lot of good leaders, but any of them is better than Barroso, I mean who even knows who Barroso is?

Not only that, but Brown and Sarkozy/Merkel/Berlusconi/Zapatero would be good for another version of the mod, one which splits up Europe.

Why haven't you put Gordon Bron as the leader of NATO? In a confederation of nation, usually Civ puts the most important leader; in this case, it's Brown.

up to date list. ;)

European Union has a lot of good leaders, but any of them is better than Barroso, I mean who even knows who Barroso is?

Now they will!! Our mod is both fun and educational. :D

Since there isn't good art for any of the EU leaders, and there is no clear choice between them like there is with Brown, (and to spare me more work. lol), can we just leave Barroso for now? We want to start serious alpha testing in weeks (days?), so we have a number of other loose ends to tie up at the moment. These kinds of things can be easily changed later.

But if it really bothers you bro, I will put it on my todo list.

There is great Berlusconi art but he's not really a choice to lead the EU, is he? Is he even in power right now? Italy changes leaders so often I have given up trying to keep track. Thank goodness they are not a civ of their own!

Top Bottom