Minecraft

Leonel

Breakfast Connoisseur
I've been playing this game for a while and the new /indev/ function has got me hooked again. It's essentially a first person Dwarf Fortress that you can dig and mine a fortress or build something crazy. Right now I'm mining a self sufficient fortress with interior crops and a place to grow trees for wood. Check it out!

http://minecraft.net/

It's still in development but it's pretty cool still!

I rediscovered Minecraft a couple days ago after my latest df fort got mauled by titans.

I've been having a ton of fun with it. If the bandwidth and cpu time isnt too heavy for a server, I might host one for those of us on cfc.

I built a pretty cool dwarf fortress in one of my games. Hollowed out a big expanse that took me a while to dig out and line the dirt roofs and walls with smooth stone. It's even got a throne room with a floor mosaic of an ASCII dwarf in iron and gold! I'd use diamond but it's too valuable a resource for tools.

Ah, you're playing survival or one of the other indev modes?

Indev. I can't go back to creative after playing it. :D

I havent paid, so no indev for me.

Is it worthwhile? I don't much want to run around getting away from monsters and having to collect blocks before building. I'd much prefer to just build as I fancy.

You can set the difficulty to Peaceful that'll spawn no monsters. But you'll have to use torches to see at night.

Urgh, I already have enough difficulty discerning colors in the regular mode.

The thing I love about indev is that someone on the Minecraft forums made a map editor for it so one could import a greyscale heightmap of anything and make it a Minecraft map. A map I recently made is a deep canyon map with rivers on the bottom and steep canyon faces around it, with a lone green island with trees in the middle of the fork.

It'll be a good place to dig out a dwarf fortress. :D

You mean Omen? That works for the regular one too.

Looks slightly similar to Roblox. Can you defend your fort against enemies?

Looks fun, I'll give it a try I guess :D

Here is my stairway to heaven in survival mode

yep, heaven is dirt.

This is the dwarf fortress I've been working on in the exclusive /indev/ version. I'm using a custom tile set which I really like. I might abandon it though. I cheated on it a bit and I don't feel so fulfilled about it.

Here's the front! It originally encompassed those two pillars and that single window, but I expanded it to show the whole face.

Inside the lower level. This is where the traveling merchants would ply their wares and where the tree farm and main workshops are.

The stair way up to the common area. For the record, I personally carved out this whole room.

Entrance to the throne room

The royal throne room!

View of the throne room from the throne. Notice the floor mural.

Nice. Have you seen the Dwarf Fortress Roleplay server? Their fort is amazing. The main cavern is like 400 z levels deep.

I'll have to look that up! Is it a Creative server or a Survival server? I never tried Survival long.

My new fortress is starting to grow now. I've closed the front gates and sealed myself into my fortress. The common area is all ready with a common work area for everyone and there's a corridor that turns into an enclosed bridge into the next rock face that contains all the minerals. I'm now starting to dig out the tree farm room where I'll start planting trees and growing them for an internal source of wood.

It was a creative server. I tried finding it but couldnt.

there are no survival servers? :confused:

only SP.

I've been frequenting the MP servers a lot and I have built many amazing libraries and houses and gardens and swimming pools :p

I'm definitely going to have to buy this game :evil:

Anyway, also wanted to let you know I'm currently an OP in NEW FLAT LAND! server (creative MP).

It's pretty cool, has lots of mods/ops/admins so there's usually someone on, also has very nifty drawing scripts for trusted users and up.

Top Bottom