Max Number of Cities?

Dastari

Chieftain
Hi, I've just come back to playing civilization after something like a ten-year hiatus. I'm playing the original version on DosBox. I checked the FAQ here, but can't find the information that I'm looking for. Is there a maximum number of cities that you can have? I seem to recall way back when being told by the computer that I couldn't make another city. I just want to know what that number is or if I'm misremembering.

There's a limit to how many cities you can make using a map editor like jCiv too if I remember correctly, which is likely the same limit. I think it may be 100 or so.

With the addition of angry citizens in later versions of the game though, if you play Emperor, I don't think you'd want to get close to that number, as at that point, you'll be adding #6 citizens that is born angry if I calculate correctly.

I think the max is across all civilizations though. Not just your own.

With the addition of angry citizens in later versions of the game though, if you play Emperor, I don't think you'd want to get close to that number, as at that point, you'll be adding #6 citizens that is born angry if I calculate correctly.

I have no idea how the calculation works. You can counter it with both luxuries and pacifier buildings, though, because the born-content mechanic is the first, base attitude modifier. You can make 127 cities on emperor. I think the target luxury rate at the end is 20-40, not too bad.

You can make 127 cities on emperor. I think the target luxury rate at the end is 20-40, not too bad.

By the time you reach that point, city improvements should be an afterthought. If you find that you need a hundred Colosseums, then with 128 cities that should take only 1 or 2 turns.

At Emperor, after the 120th city, you start building cities with 8 born-angry citizens. Since luxuries (and the Cure) make born-angry go directly to happy, this is actually a bonus. It makes President's Day easier.

Top Bottom