To clear up something last minute:

Love CiV

Chieftain
Will policies be easier obtain, allowing a relatively normal empire to get around 2-3 full policies, and dip into maybe, 2 more?

(Normally I get about 1-2 full policies, and dip into one more by late game. I'm not sure about everyone else.)

Culture has been reduced from late game culture buildings like amphitheatres and opera houses, but great works and artifacts give you some. Its going to be harder to get culture. But to offset this, cost has gone down, and the penalty from settling more cities has gone down.

Plus, there are more free social policies (e.g., from world games) and free tenets when you make an ideology. It should be easier to pick up SPs, but on the other hand, because of the cultural victory change, its more likely to be SP picking here and there, and fewer trees will be finished in general.

Unfortunately, yes.

Not sure I understand this reluctance. Sure you feel cool and good when you first manage to properly time a transition from Tradition to Rationalism, but it had so many issues. It's not like you ever could do much of anything interesting with the trees because of how limited you were in choice. The finisher for Order and Autocracy might as well have read "Why are you still playing the game already?". Also the value of the other trees was often trumped by the fact that whatever was better long term was always better because that 1 choice literally locked you out of other later ones.

From what I could see and have read/heard, they have dropped the penalty per city and reduced the cost of later game policies (early game is relatively same~ish).

Not sure I understand this reluctance. Sure you feel cool and good when you first manage to properly time a transition from Tradition to Rationalism, but it had so many issues. It's not like you ever could do much of anything interesting with the trees because of how limited you were in choice. The finisher for Order and Autocracy might as well have read "Why are you still playing the game already?". Also the value of the other trees was often trumped by the fact that whatever was better long term was always better because that 1 choice literally locked you out of other later ones.

From what I could see and have read/heard, they have dropped the penalty per city and reduced the cost of later game policies (early game is relatively same~ish).

Probably a couple of reasons. First, I do not believe in an abundance of bonuses. Second, I do not believe in watering down the choices we make. This may be an extreme example but previously, you had to make a hard choice in choosing Tradition or Liberty (or Honor for some) and Piety or Rationalism. With all of the extra policies we're going to get, now you can go super-size and get all of them! No need to make any more hard choices because another policy is just around the corner. Therefore, the only choice left would be the Ideology. Like I said, a bit hyperbolic but it is a trend in the wrong direction, just like what they did with Happiness and certain resources (i.e., given us an abundance that the choosing or acquiring is essentially removed from the strategy game).

Probably a couple of reasons. First, I do not believe in an abundance of bonuses. Second, I do not believe in watering down the choices we make. This may be an extreme example but previously, you had to make a hard choice in choosing Tradition or Liberty (or Honor for some) and Piety or Rationalism. With all of the extra policies we're going to get, now you can go super-size and get all of them! No need to make any more hard choices because another policy is just around the corner. Therefore, the only choice left would be the Ideology. Like I said, a bit hyperbolic but it is a trend in the wrong direction, just like what they did with Happiness and certain resources (i.e., given us an abundance that the choosing or acquiring is essentially removed from the strategy game).

Actually, you get the most possible different strategies if you can choose~1/2 of the policy trees. (So~4 trees... And 1 ideology) ...some of those may be similar or bad strategies, but that is a balance issue... Ie if 5 trees is "enough" for you, that means the other 5 are UP.. Or the first5 are OP

So increasing it from 2.5 total trees out of 10 to about 4.5 (3.5 policy, 1 ideology) out of 15 (Each ideology is~2 trees worth of options) is reasonable.

Actually, you get the most possible different strategies if you can choose~1/2 of the policy trees. (So~4 trees... And 1 ideology) ...some of those may be similar or bad strategies, but that is a balance issue... Ie if 5 trees is "enough" for you, that means the other 5 are UP.. Or the first5 are OP

So increasing it from 2.5 total trees out of 10 to about 4.5 (3.5 policy, 1 ideology) out of 15 (Each ideology is~2 trees worth of options) is reasonable.

Perhaps but that is still over 100% more (5.5 counting filling an Ideology as MadDjinn did). The percentages of policies selected may be similar (25-33%) but that is still a lot of extra bonuses to add to the game that prides itself on making each element count, esp. when the content of the policies are not different (just moved).

I think you overestimate the difference between getting 2 policies completed by end game and getting 3-4 + an ideology. That's still 5 out of 11, that's not "everything."

Top Bottom