Civ4 XML editor projected

Vino6

Chieftain
I am projecting to build an "XML editor" for CIV IV in Java..
The idea is that all the files CAN be edited at once if we have the right tool. I mean, we could edit civilizations in one screen and then "magically" see how all the changes are done in every file that has to be changed (E.G. the civilizations file, the text file, the units file, etc..).

I was thinking I could use some help in the following areas:

*Understanding the different files, and the XML tags on them, the relations between them.

*Building, if not shipped with the game (i am at work, i'll know this later), XML schemas, so it will be easier to build the xml parser for my program.

*I could use some advices about how the User Interface should look.

Well, if there's someone out there who want to help i'd really apreciate it. If not, well, it'll just take me a little longer to build this app.

I've been looking at doing the same thing in Python as that is what is native to the game. So far I've been looking at the XLM schemas and experimenting with Python's XML handling extensions. I haven't coded in Java and I've used Python, so if you'd like to do a Python version we could work together on it.

I'm not sure what kind of functionality you plan on adding. How would it be different from using an existing text editor such as vi?

I was thinking about doing the exact opposite - let the user declare a few fields in some sort of a wizard and then have the program dynamically generate the XML. Some sort of merge utility would be necessary so you can pack multiple mods together. (It seems everyone is saying "replace the main files with my versions" which limits mods to 1)

I think this would be wonderful. In another game there was a program (Though those files were txt-based, not XML) and you could go into it, and logically edit files. Say you wanted to modify each units speed, it would have a drop down box with each unit in it and when you selected it, it would show that units settings. Far easier than going for 14,000 lines of code.

I also had plans of something similar to this for my website. You could select the units, leaders, world sizes, etc that you wanted, and then download a complete mod with everything you selected.

Hardest part is finding a good XML parser with a Perl interface....

That's precisely why i was going on for Java, because it has so many tools. I have experience parsing XML in java (and i must say, if you know Java, it's almost trivial to do it with some free tools if you have the schemas defined) and I also have experience in user interface programming.
i was thinking on something "like" the old Civ 2 editor that came with the game. A friendly user interface in wich you could choose the civ you want, or create a new one, then it'll show everything you can change, like the descriptions, adjectives, civilopedia, special units, cities...even flags.
Then, supose you want to change the special unit, then it would show you all the currently created special units, and give you the possibility to create a new one, maibe from scracht or based on another unit (say, for example, you don't feel like creating all the art, so you can use the art of a unit for another one and edit it's capabilities) then when you'd save the civ, the civilizations, the text, and the units file would be updated.
One of the best things of making this program in have would be it extensibility, i guess I can start just with some basic functionality (editing/creating civs only) and leave the program "open" for future upgrades.

Speaking about the project itself, i was looking yesterday when i got home the amount of XMLs on wich the game is based. ****, i should have written this from home. I'll start creating the schemas tonight, i'll post which XMLs I need schemas of for the first phase of my project, and update which ones i have... if someone can help it'll be great. I'll keep you updated with everything.

Phase 1 - Launched

Objective:
*System Design

*User Interface general definitions

*Civilization creation/modificacion:

Edit the texts, initial techs, leaders (w/o creating new ones), special units (w/o creating new ones), cities, flag (w/o creating new ones?).

This sounds fantastic.
I wish I could help but I really don't know XML (I'm learning though), Java or Python. So for someone like me this tool would be a god send.

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.

That would be absolutely fantastic, Vino. Instead of bumbling through umpteen hundred lines of code, we could automatically select things in a friendly user interface.

The key would be to know all files that must be modified to change certain things and have your program notify you as such. For example, modifying promotions users 3 different XML files: one for the data, one for the Civilopedia, and one for text definitions (or something like that).

Thanks! :goodjob:

This is something I've been planning on doing in Python. But with my limited time I guess it's better that someone else does it instead. ;)

This sounds great! :) I have experience with Java and parsing, not XML in particular. Not sure I can help you but I´m available and I´m certainly keeping my eye on this one ;)

sounds like a great idea. i for one have no experience in any thing but would like mod. learning all that stuff seem to be a daunting task. anything to make it easier will be happily aproved by dummies like me.

This is a great idea. I have some experience in Java but none using XML. I'd like to help out if I could, but I may be 'below the curve' and only hold things back.

I would be glad to help with graphics of the user interface. Maybe after I see some sort of rough alpha or perhaps a design flowchart, I could be inspired.

For user interface Vino I would strongly recommend using SWT over AWT or Swing. SWT has native components for each platform so it is a lot faster than AWT/Swing and looks native to the platform it runs on. If you plan on using extremely complicated widgets, though, then Swing may save dev. time. You can build very complicated widgets in SWT and JFace but that would be more time consuming than using Swing (as the components are probably already available for Swing) and I am not sure on when you want to roll this out by.

Anyway, just my 2gp :mischief:

As I am currently doing a certification as software quality tester I would volunteer to do exactly that for the project. Maybe more - if time allows. But anyhow, testing means also working on the requirements and specifications...
Just contact me by PN or mail!

so long
Criamon

Top Bottom