Custom picking City-States

Thorburne

Centurion
So, while I am preparing for my first game of Civilization V Brave New World, I was going through and figuring out which Civilizations I want to play with and against. It got me thinking... Presently, there is a way to select which Civilizations are in the game when setting up your game, but no way to pick which City-States are in. All you can change is the number. I know it may seem trivial, but there are some that I prefer, and others that I don't.

It would be nice to have an option where you can enable or disable certain City-States that are placed in a map. Given that certain map sizes have a set number of City-States, perhaps a warning could come up when you disable too many.

Another option could be is to have an option in the menu that allows you to set weights to the City-States (1-5). A weight of 5 would be chosen first when generating a map, while a weight of 1 will be chosen last. I know it is way too late to include it in BNW (though maybe it could be one of the last things that has not been revealed), but maybe they can include it in a patch.

Before anybody says anything, I am aware of the Advanced Setup mod, which is nice and all, but I just feel that is a feature that should be in the game without needing a mod.

As for reasons to include it (besides personal bias against/for a particular City-State), one big one is for people who like to play themed maps... only Asian Civs, etc. Kind of throws things off when playing with China, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Siam, etc. and having Quebec City pop up.

Anyway, just a thought.

EDIT: Additional thought, with over 50 City-States in the game, I think this only makes sense.

As Venice, I'm very looking forward in seeing Florence, Milan, Genoa, Vatican City and Ragusa in the game.

Come, my puppets.

Exactly... even more reason to have this option. (BTW, don't forget Valetta! I know it is Malta, but it fits in with the rest that you mentioned.)

Me Too! I am thinking about doing the Hellenistic World! Greece, Rome, Egypt, Spain, Persia, Morroco(Emulate the Numidian) Carthage(Does anyone know the tale of Aeneas? Legend says that Dido curse Aeneas's Children for she swore that there will be bad blood between her children and his, The time come! :) England(Briton), German(Germania) Russian or Polish(I know it a poor subsitute, But Scythian, IF anyone got a better suggestion, tell me, Arabia, And Gahdi.
Yes, I am emulating Alexander the great's world and RTW.

Or I could do just 9 new civ and put it on warlordy princier?

Me Too! I am thinking about doing the Hellenistic World! Greece, Rome, Egypt, Spain, Persia, Morroco(Emulate the Numidian) Carthage(Does anyone know the tale of Aeneas? Legend says that Dido curse Aeneas's Children for she swore that there will be bad blood between her children and his, The time come! :) England(Briton), German(Germania) Russian or Polish(I know it a poor subsitute, But Scythian, IF anyone got a better suggestion, tell me, Arabia, And Gahdi.
Yes, I am emulating Alexander the great's world and RTW.

Or I could do just 9 new civ and put it on warlordy princier?

Ahh yes... Aeneas... the Trojan who, after his stint with Dido, went on to Italy, where his grandchildren (I believe) would go down as the Roman Cain and Abel and then go on to found the City (and Empire) of Rome. Thus, connecting all us Italians to Troy! And justifying the wars against Carthage and the subjugation of the Greek States.

Anyway, your scenario would be perfect for my Orbis map. A map based on the ancient world as known by the Greeks and Romans. But, of course, your scenario describes my above request perfectly. Sometimes, you just want a skirmish on a random map but with a theme. Be it Ancient World, Hellenistic, Going Medieval, Thar be Dragons (Age of Discovery), Napoleonic, Fires in the East (Asian based), The Americas (featuring all American Civs... maybe excluding America itself), etc.

Top Bottom