Culture and Tourism in domination

oPunchDrunko

Prince
Obviously culture is semi-useful because of social policies... but other than that, what use is there for culture in domination? Should I even build culture buildings/ wonders?

And what about tourism? Should you even bother with it?

Culture and Tourism are always important no matter what type of victory you are going for. They help defend against other Civ's tourism. I've found that the new culture victory is a lot like a domination victory. Yes, you can spam everyone with tourism but at some point you are going to want to wage war against the high culture civs to make it easier to become their dominant culture.

I normally don't care about cultural wonders when I'm going for domination. There's little reason to waste hammers on Louvre, Uffizi, Globe Theatre when you will probably conquer those cities anyway. Domination cares very little for any wonder in general. You're basically just choosing who to conquer first based on how much luxury/happiness they have. I'd still build the great person buildings though since some culture is useful to get more out of Ideology tenets and keeping up with science.

Like the poster above said, there's generally not much point in building the wonders. However, that doesn't mean culture and tourism aren't important. You should definitely build the buildings, especially the guilds (stuff like ampitheaters can be a bit less of a priority). Not only do you need social policies, but you also want border expansion, and most importantly, you want to stop other civs from crushing you with their influence. Happiness is already the biggest hurdle in a domination game, so the last thing you need is 30 extra unhappiness from your ideology.

Can someone explain why tourism matters? I fail to see how tourism is important in domination.

There's not much reason except one: You will get tanked in happiness, like -40 immediately once ideologies get adopted, if you don't focus on tourism at least a little playing domination, UNLESS you wipe out everyone before ideologies, OR conquer a bunch of cultural and tourism works from others. It is usually worth it to take out the cultural civs early and then their strength will defend you later game.

The reason for this is if you don't have any culture or tourism of your own your citizens get unhappy seeing the more impressive cultures around them. Also, culture is obviously important for filling out honor, liberty, and autocracy, the main path for warmongering.

below deity its pretty easy to ignore tourism and just ally the city states and win world fair. That will provide enough defensive culture to avoid much unhappiness. Maybe 1 level. You can attack the tourism leaders first too.

To dig a little deeper into the game mechanics, tourism is important because it has just as much role as culture in keeping your people happy. Ideology pressure isn't determined by how influential another civ is over you, but by their level of influence versus yours, meaning you can negate a civ getting to familiar status with you by getting to familiar with them.

It's also worth noting that great works and artifacts also add 2 culture, which can really add up by late game. They're worthwhile even if you don't care much about tourism.

Also, didn't make it so that when you capture cities from another civ which you dominate culturally, the cities will be shorter turns in resistance and will lose less population, or something like that?

Yes, starting at Familiar:
  • Familiar (30%): 25% reduction in population loss on conquest and unrest duration.

• Popular (60%): 50% reduction.

• Influential (100%): 75% reduction

• Dominant (200%): No population loss and 0 turns of unrest.
The problem with all of this is happiness management. I find this works most comfortably with Iron Curtain (immediate, free courthouse on city capture).

Somebody may have mentioned this already, but the social policies can come in handy, and you need culture for them. And, the wonders do bring certain advantages with them (just like a building would).

Top Bottom