DS vs. PS3 vs. XBox Versions.

LordRahl

The Objectivist
Please no flaming/fanboy wars in here. Just the facts. This is to help potential owners of all 3 systems to decide which version to go with. Post other facts in this thread by copying an pasting the list (I would've kept editing this post over and over, like you can do on other forums, but apparently after a while you can't edit your own posts).

DS:
Pros:
1. Stylus control superior to controller?
Cons:
1. Graphics inferior to PS3 and 360.

PS3:
Pros:
1. Free online play.
Cons:
1. No webcam chat.

Xbox:
Pros:
1. Webcam chat in multiplayer.
Cons:
1. You need Live subscribtion to play online.

there have been reports(3 or 4 that I can see) of graphics glitches or console freezing with the PS3 version over on the 2K forums, with no answers or responses by the 2K staff.

The 360 version apparently sometimes has some lag with the advisors/leaders not showing up at the beginning of a screen that they should be there for.

Also, there are 9 PSN IDs given in the PSN ID thread and 26 XBL tags given in the 360 GT thread...that's just in case people care about how many potential CFC members they could play against on a given system.

there have been reports(3 or 4 that I can see) of graphics glitches or console freezing with the PS3 version over on the 2K forums, with no answers or responses by the 2K staff.

The 360 version apparently sometimes has some lag with the advisors/leaders not showing up at the beginning of a screen that they should be there for.

Also, there are 9 PSN IDs given in the PSN ID thread and 26 XBL tags given in the 360 GT thread...that's just in case people care about how many potential CFC members they could play against on a given system.

QFT. I'd stick with the 360 edition.

there are also now reports of CivRev MP not working on the PS3 version...2K is saying it is GameSpy's fault and that users may need to open more ports in their routers.

The DS is the same game but it is portable! The only con I can see is the Graphics are inferior but I don’t care about the graphic I only care about the fact that the game plays the same as the other versions.

Only 10 games can be saved on Xbox. No limit on number of PS3 game saves. Not sure how it works with DS.

PS3 version is region Free (all PS3 games are). Xbox isn't. Not sure about DS.

Good for you - now do you have anything constructive to add to the thread?

You don't either, apparently. :p
Well this is how I see it:

PS3 advantages
(possibly) better graphics
Unlimited game saves
PS3 online is free.

360 advantages:
You can use the vision camera.
Way more players
Its always fun how you get those achievements/gamerpoints on the 360.

I personally have very little trouble with PS3 multiplayer. That's the same with Gamespy. When Civ4 first came out a lot of people was blaming Gamespy because you couldn't connect to a game yet every time I played a ladder game I had no connection problems. It didn't take long to learn a lot of newbie had ports block which in turn kept everyone from starting a game. Once people open up those ports (this is one of the things router do, block ports) I saw less connection problems. Still it easier to blame Gamespy.

For simpicity, I would say go for the 360 version, as you dont have to open ports for each game, just 2 for the console and thats it done. nice and simple.

Since consoles doesn't have virus problems like PC you can just simply have your console to be DMZ host. Thus all ports are open to the console. Then again I have yet had to open any ports for civ4 or PS3.

Also noted that those who have the PS3 version of the game said it's easier and faster to connect than the demo.

For simpicity, I would say go for the 360 version, as you dont have to open ports for each game, just 2 for the console and thats it done. nice and simple.

It only takes a sec and its not a big deal.

I've got both a PS3 and 360 and there's two things that made me go for the PS3 version - neither of which are really relevant:

1) My 360 is devastatingly loud compared to my PS3. That's not so much of a problem with brash, noisy FPS/Driving/Action games, but this would be a game I would be sitting in front of for a few hours at a time, concentrating. The noise would have driven me nuts.

2) When I went to try the demo on 360 earlier this week, I found that being a Silver member, I was prevented from doing so. I decided then that Sony could have my license fee on this one, not MS. :p

I have of course since discovered that the Game of the Week would have required Gold membership (I'm not that bothered about full online play) so I guess that would have been reason 3 had I not already committed to PS3.

I will also be getting the DS version when it comes out to fulfil a long held dream - decent portable Civ. I've tried Civ 1 under a DOS emulator on a PocketPC, Amiga Civ on an Amiga emulator on PSP, FreeCiv on a Nokia 770 and PS1 Civ2 on a PSP, but none have really worked.

I never had to mess with any port setting on my router, to get Multiplayer working on PS3. But I do see why Xbox users would have less online issues, with the Live integration. Again - you get what you pay for, and in case of PS3 - you're not paying anything.

Top Bottom