Why are all the AI characters so aggressive?

salty mud

Deity
I find that all the AI characters are stupidly aggressive, to the point where it just makes no sense. Even characters who would normally appear to be passive are threatening me! I find that I am at war with all possible civs by 1000AD, and I can't take them all on.

Maybe they are taking advantage of my weakness in not building enough troops, or designed to make a challenge. I'm not sure. Help would be nice. :)

The AI will take advantage of you, no doubt. I find it useful to pay off the powerful ones so I can juggle the weaker ones.

take out atleast one civ an age or gear one city solely to defense. Barracks+A Settled Great General allows to create super-powerful army units.

Maybe they are taking advantage of my weakness in not building enough troops, or designed to make a challenge. I'm not sure. Help would be nice. :)

The AI are also more aggressive on the higher difficulty levels, so when you are playing lower settings, you can get away with things and skimp on military more.

i was going to post something simular myself, all i found myself doing on warlord level was constantly paying off peope or figting them. The diplomacy seems very weak in this regard there is no sense of loyal relatiosn like in civ4 where you could befreind people and rarle get attacked unprovoked. This is a real flaw in an otherwise good game.

As I'm playing now, GANDHI, possibly the most anti-war person ever, will still refuse to accept peace after me winning practically all the battles we've had, and I've launched an ICBM at him. What the hell is going on?

I agree that the AI is far to aggressive. At anything above Chieftain level your gonna be beating off the neighbours with a stick very early on, and at King even the ones you can't get to out in the fog of war somewhere will be ferrying stress onto your doorstep!

Which basically means that there is only one way to win, and that is to take out your immediate neighbours, and grow your own civ to a much bigger size than whomever remains.

It's still pretty good fun to play though! :)

I prefer to go for economic of technological victories, and it makes it very difficult indeed if every 5 turns I'm interrupting my cities to build an army of warriors or legions! Maybe a patch will calm things down a tad?

As I'm playing now, GANDHI, possibly the most anti-war person ever, will still refuse to accept peace after me winning practically all the battles we've had, and I've launched an ICBM at him. What the hell is going on?

The AI's personalities do not reflect their real life counterpart. The personalities are randomized, like if you turn the "random personalities" option on for Civ IV.

I prefer to go for economic of technological victories, and it makes it very difficult indeed if every 5 turns I'm interrupting my cities to build an army of warriors or legions! Maybe a patch will calm things down a tad?
That's just it. If the AI backs off and gives you a chance to build a mega-city then the game it pretty much over. Since there is a lot of thing in Rev that "overpowering" the AI has to be more aggressive to provide a challenge. Multiplayer will be just as aggressive if not more.

That's just it. If the AI backs off and gives you a chance to build a mega-city then the game it pretty much over. Since there is a lot of thing in Rev that "overpowering" the AI has to be more aggressive to provide a challenge. Multiplayer will be just as aggressive if not more.

or you can just build walls and they will leave you alone for the remainder of the game. and build nukes to take out the agreesive egyptians
Spoiler :

You think the space race is impossible? I've done it. :smug:

Even with all the AI declaring war on me in the same turn. [pissed]

The AI is a bit aggressive. I'm playing on King (Normal) and the AI just can't back up it's threats. If they could capture a city I'd be scared but instead they like to use archers and legionaries long after they're out of date.

You think the space race is impossible? I've done it. :smug:

Even with all the AI declaring war on me in the same turn. [pissed]

how did you do it, because i was really close and all i was doing was using great scietiest to complete techonologies in one turn and i almost had it but the demo finished around 1250 ad, i was like 4-5 turns short from completing it. so i would have completed it by 1400 ad at the most.

The AI is a bit aggressive. I'm playing on King (Normal) and the AI just can't back up it's threats.

Perhaps not. But what it can, and will do, (if you don't give in to it's demands) is spend the entire game throwing everything it's got at you, and by doing so, hinder your own progress in the game.

It's a serious flaw, imo. And something that Firaxis definitely needs to address.

In stead of the production penalty in Civ 3 and the high costs of early expansion in Civ 4, you get a diplomatic penalty in Civ Rev. Check the reason for the attack when they declare war. It's often because of expansive greed or if you're becoming too rich or advanced to quickly.

Just build archers early on and you're fine. And try to expand on islands in stead of the mainland.

In stead of the production penalty in Civ 3 and the high costs of early expansion in Civ 4, you get a diplomatic penalty in Civ Rev. Check the reason for the attack when they declare war. It's often because of expansive greed or if you're becoming too rich or advanced to quickly.

Just build archers early on and you're fine. And try to expand on islands in stead of the mainland.

Thanks for that, it sounds like excellent advice. I'll give it a shot later, and see how it pans out.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom