Apolyton Preview Part 8: Springboard

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
The eighth part of Apolyton Civilization Site's multi-part preview of Civilization: Revolution written by yours truly :D is now available. Entitled "Springboard", it`s the third installment in a more narrative format than its predecessors and is also the last to serve as an overview of CivRev. It includes not one but two gameplay videos and a brief but nevertheless exclusive look at the game`s Civilopedia.

Here's an excerpt from the full write-up:

... a general playing style...: greater speed of a game from start to finish. But greater speed does not necessarily mean less time played; it can also refer to more things occurring at anytime in-game (and in particular on-screen). But CivRev has not `turned` the series to fit this mould that has and continues to serve real-time strategy well on consoles. Much has been learned about cultivating and nurturing deep, meaningful turn-based gameplay from the four direct iterations of Civ on the PC over the past one-and-a-half plus decades... good, bad and ugly.

One can formulate, hypothesize, analyze and critique the bullet points, flowcharts and arguments of game design for hours on end without answering a fundamental question: is the game fun?

Enjoy. :cooool:

Everyone of these makes me want the DS version more and more, Dan.

Too bad it's not out until June.
Yes, but I'm certain we'll be that much happier with the end product thanks to its greater development time. :)

I have a Boy Scout "Electronics Lock-In" this weekend. I'd love to have been able to bring this along. ;)
:D

The *big* games at the lock-in were Halo 3, and Guitar Hero. :lol:

But there were enough kids looking for something different, that CivRev would have been a hit, I think.

As for June, well, in all my years as a software engineer, I have learned that you can have software that is
  • Well-written.
  • Produced quickly.
  • Produced inexpensively.
Pick any two. ;)

I'll wait a little longer, to be sure that the game is good. :)

As for June, well, in all my years as a software engineer, I have learned that you can have software that is
  • Well-written.
  • Produced quickly.
  • Produced inexpensively.
Pick any two. ;)

This a maxim for all engineers it seems. I have friends who are mechanical, electrical, nuclear, and aerospace engineers and they all have mentioned that to me at one point or another when we were scoping and pitching projects.

(Although they usually phrased it "Fast, cheap, or good. Pick two")

Top Bottom