[BtS] American Civil War

I know I downloaded the beta, but the map's cities are not done, and there are no units in place. UGH!

closest thing to this is the 1861ad which someone could redo the graphics, and what not.

1861 AD is not solely based on the American Civil War, really it is a representation of the world at that time. So which graphics are we talking about? I would love to be able to add some more intro screens and some music. I was thinking Mary Fahl's song going home from Gods and Generals, would fit this mod.

I was wondering about buildings and so for, these could certainly be applied. This would help fill out the techtree better. There are certainly some things Shiggs came up with that would really fit nicely into this mod.

Right now I am playtesting, and thinking of writing a civ story. But after that I will look into it. In the meantime, If anyone wants to work with and change the mod 1861 AD for the better, they are certainly welcome too.

The first part of the mod is based in the years spanning 1861-1895. The next update is going to include the Boer commando, and the protected cruiser, and updates on airships, and everything in between. Then the final update would deal with WWI, and slightly after, which would include the first true aircraft carrier.

The first part of the mod is based in the years spanning 1861-1895. The next update is going to include the Boer commando, and the protected cruiser, and updates on airships, and everything in between. Then the final update would deal with WWI, and slightly after, which would include the first true aircraft carrier.

Sounds good. It's an interesting time period.

I want to salute you on the tremendous amount of work that's been done on this mod. I've played a lot of mods but none that have reworked the game as much as you have. So many new buttons, symbols, features, graphs, etc. A few questions:

1) In Civilopedia, I couldn't find any overview of this game or explanations of its many new features. I did find the new resources, units, and buildings explained.

2) The game offers many new resources, but in the couple of times I've played it, the only resources appearing, appear in (Spanish) Cuba, which I get by trade. There aren't any in the continental US (including the Confederacy). Is this by design? Or do I have a bug? I don't really need the ability to build new improvements like Apple Orchard if there aren't any Apples.

3) The Union gets something like 55 cities at the outset, including a fair bit of what in history becomes Confederate territory, such as Tennessee, Virginia and NC. Wouldn't it be fairer and more accurate to assign those states to the Confederacy?

4) I was able to build rail at the outset, but now, dealing with fallen parts of the Confederacy, it's not, even when I direct workers to do it. I've got Steel in my resources basket so that's not the problem. They'll build roads, but not rails.

OK, here's the big one:

5) The couple of times I played this game, I played Union, once at Warlord and once at Noble. I started my cities about half and half each on units and buildings. When I had some units built, I figured the Confederacy doesn't want a war and won't declare war, as they just want their independence which they've already got. So I attacked, before the Confederacy had produced troops to defend it. Each game was a walkover, as I used weak Military Scouts (mostly with double movement in forests) to take unoccupied, unprotected Confederate cities. The two games were similar: the Rebs in each case got a unit or two built in Georgia, defending Atlanta and, in one of the games, also Milledgeville, and maybe one in Texas. My Scouts took South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas quickly and unopposed. A couple of isolated Rebel rump areas were left - north Georgia and central Texas. Meanwhile I waited for various rifle types - I think in the first game I also had produced some artillery - to gather where I had to actually assault a defense, in both cases Atlanta, and in one case, also Milledgeville and Canton, TX. It took a few turns to get some men there, and then the cities fell without a problem. Confederacy gone. (This by April 1862.)

At the moment, I'm wondering what to do next. My economy sucks, as I concentrated my workers on hooking up my sprawling but underdeveloped nation by rail, so I'm losing units by strike while I scramble to build banks, harbors and maybe start my workers on building some cottages to make some money. I assume I'm supposed to attack Mexico, which is however reasonably well defended by a lot of Ketcham Grenadiers, and the source of a disproportionate amount of my own existing wealth through foreign trade. Or maybe the British in Canada. Attacking overseas to the British, French or Spanish holdings in the Caribbean hardly seems worth it.

So here's my question: You've come up with this astounding amount of new weaponry and units, and new functions like digging trenches, but the scenario basically encourages me as the Union to attack fast and take as much Rebel territory as I can before they defend it. Also, the game doesn't force the war. Does it need rebalancing to make the Rebs stronger? Does it need a war to break out at a time certain? Otherwise maybe the Union just builds its economy, spreads settlers west to gain territory towards a domination victory (I already had enough population for the pop side of that before I even finished conquering the south) and maybe attacks the weak albeit overseas holdings of the colonial powers? Doesn't really fit all the work you've put in it; it needs to be about the North and the South and it needs to be a tough fight.

I don't want to appear to be dumping; this is a great mod, as I said, and could actually be used to create a more advanced version of Civ IV BTS if Firaxis ever wanted to put one out. I just want to use it to the max and hope you can help set me straight here. Thanks.

Top Bottom