[MODULE][NEWCIV] The Frozen for Fall Further

TC01

Deity
Frozen Civilization v1.0
For Fall Further 0.51c

This mod adds the Frozen civilization to Fall Further. It contains everything from v1.0 of the Frozen civilization. The Frozen are a divine civ, like the Mercurians and the Infernals. They are summonable by all non-good civilizations, after building the Liberation ritual (project) at Elementalism. However, this ritual has an Ice Mana production bonus. They cannot be summoned if the "Compact Enforced" gameoption, which blocks the Infernals and Mercurians from entering the game, is turned on.

Why should you play as them? Well, in addition to having have several unique abilities, units, buildings, and spells, you can also ascend as the Frozen, creating Taranis Ascended (whose art is Mulcarn's from the Age of Ice scenario), as well as completing any "Spell of Winter" ritual that the Illians have not yet already created. The rest of the Frozen art is composed of a bizarre mix of Frostling, Infernal, and Illian art. See the feature list for more information.

In the past, much of this mod was in modular form. However, v1.0 removes all modularity. This is for two reasons- one, two XML files could not be made modular due to errors with FF's modular loading system (techs and projects), and so needed to overwrite original files anyway, and two, Python was not modular anyway.

(Actually, the Diplomacy Text file is still in modular form, because I really didn't feel like merging it. But apart from that, nothing is modular... and if you remove that module Taranis just uses default diplo text).

NOTE! If, when you switch to the Frozen, you find that you can still see your previous empire's terrain, and the plots where you have appeared are black and invisible, there are two ways to fix this.

1. Founding a city.
2. Saving, then reloading.

Either method is fine. However, it is NOT a Frozen bug- this is a bug in Fall Further.

Features:

• This mod adds a new summonable, ice-themed civ, the Frozen, to the game.
  • The Frozen are summoned by a ritual called Liberation, which requires the tech Elementalism and for the summoner to be either evil or neutral. Liberation also gives the summoner a few Ice Golems.
  • The Frozen are led by Taranis the Unchanging, archangel of Mulcarn, who is also their civilization hero. His traits are Agnostic, Arcane, Defender, and Fallow. The hero unit has the Unchanging promotion, which makes him immortal (in that he must be killed twice in one turn and returns to his owner's capital on death).
  • Like Auric, Taranis is capable of ascending and creating an Auric Ascended unit, as well as creating all the "Spells of Winter" (Samhain, The White Hand, The Deepening, The Draw, Ascension, and Stir from Slumber). Since he is also their hero, doing this kills the Taranis unit in-game.
  • The Frozen are Fallow, and gain population just as the Infernals do. When units with the Winterborn or Frozen Soul promotions die, the Frozen get a Frozen Soul, a unit equivalent to the Infernal Mane.
  • Frozen Unique Units:
    • Aquilan: Replaces the Knight
    • Frost Giant: Replaces the Berserker
    • Ice Golem: Replaces the Longbowman
    • Kocrachon: Replaces the Chariot
    • Nive: Replaces the Ranger
    • Winter Wolf: Replaces the Hunter
  • Frozen Unique Buildings:
    • Frozen Palace: Replaces Palace, provides Ice and Law Mana, as well as Iron
    • Swamp of Souls: Replaces Aqueduct, gives production bonuses at cost of health
    • Temple of the Hand: Replaces Pagan Temple, same as the Illian UB
  • Other Frozen Stuff:
    • The Frozen Worldspell is called Wintering, and it spreads the Wintered promotion to around 20% of living units. It also turns all Blizzards inside Frozen territory into Winter features.
    • The Winter feature provides +2 production and commerce bonuses to the Frozen alone.
    • Unit with the Ice Demon promotion, the Frozen racial promotion, pass the Frozen Soul promotion to enemies in combat.
    • The Kocrachon unit passes the Nested promotion to enemies in combat, which has a chance of killing the unit with it and spawning several Young Kocrachon units under either Frozen or barbarian control.
  • This mod also adds Blizzards, capable of moving around and spreading ice terrain, that begin to spawn after the Deepening is completed.
  • It also increases the powers of Auric Ascended and Taranis Ascended:
    • Taranis and Auric have gained +10 Ice Affinity, which means they start out at 70, as both their palaces provide Ice Mana
    • They can also spread ice terrain around the map as they move, in an effect similar to the Temple of the Hand.
    • They can cast a greater version of the Slow spell (Ice I), with a two-plot radius.
    • They can cast a spell called Summon Winter Creatures, which lets the player choose which type of "winter creature" they want to summon.
  • This mod also gives both the Frozen and Illians a Mulyalfar Elf unit, a Druid UU that can use the Freeze Forest spell, which either creates snow under forest or a forest on a snow plot.
  • In-game documentation is available both for the Frozen, for Blizzards, and for the Orb of Sucellus mechanic, under the "Fall from Heaven 2 Concepts" section of the pedia. Other things, like new promotions, buildings, and units, have strategy and help text available as well.

Links:
Download here
Frozen for Fall from Heaven 2
Rise from Erebus Discussion Thread

Changelog:

The changelogs for versions v0.9, v0.9's patches, and v1.0 can be found in the Frozen for Fall from Heaven 2. All changes made there have been made to v1.0 of this mod.

Spoiler Old Changelogs :
Code:
v0.8 Changelog:
-Made compatible with patch 0.51c
-Merged in [URL="http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=336856"]Blizzards Modcomp[/URL], also by me, with documentation
-Created new graphic for the Winter feature (generated by Wintering worldspell)
-Added new Frozen Palace graphic by Deon
-Gave the Aquilan the Call Blizzard spell (by tying it to a new "Blizzard Caller" promotion)
-Frozen cities with the Swamp of Souls building have a chance to spawn a Tar Demon
-Added Part 2 of "The Liberation", story covering the founding of the Frozen
-Rename Wintered promotion to Frozen Soul
-Allow Dispel Magic spell to remove Wintered from affected units.
-Wintered/Frozen Soul now applies -15% strength, -25% against cold damage
-Frozen units no longer have Winterborn promotion
-Wintered/Frozen Soul is no longer spread by Winterborn... it is spread by Ice Demon instead
-All Frozen units now have Ice Demon (except for the Ice Golem, which starts with Golem)
-Removed Winterborn trait (it was useless now that Frozen do not start with Winterborn)
-Your own units no longer turn into Frozen Souls
-Wintering no longer causes Frozen or Winterborn units to gain Wintered/Frozen Soul
-Blocked Winterborn units from gaining the Wintered/Frozen Soul promotion
Code:
Patch v0.7b:
-Fixed bug where Frozen units without Ice Demon promotion suffered damage from Blizzards
-Removed Frozen Souls from a Frozen city when someone else captures it
-Added Part 1 of "The Liberation", detailing the liberation of Taranis by Auric, to the pedia
-Blocks the Frozen from being summoned if the No Hyborem or Basium gameoption is enabled

To Install:

I have included an installer packaged using an Inno script (thanks to Valkrionn). It will automatically copy your Fall Further 051 directory, rename it "FF Frozen", and then install this mod over it.

So, to install, just run that. And then (if you let it create a shortcut) start the mod using that.

Likewise, to uninstall, a file "unins000.exe" will be added to the Mods\FF Frozen directory. Run that and the mod will be uninstalled automatically. (Or you could just delete the "FF Frozen" directory).

Credits:
-TC01 (civ, idea)

-MagisterCultuum (help, Ascended Passive Snowfall Spread spell)
-The_Coyote (the old Kocrachon/Locust)
-Lord Tirian (the new Kocrachon/Locust graphic)
-Bill Bisco (ideas, feedback)
-Valkrionn (help, merger with RIFE, install script)
-Sephi (help, merger with Wildmana)
-Xienwolf (help)
-mimic, Cupric Leane (ideas)
-Cyther (rationale for Taranis's ascension)
-Tarquelne (alignment idea)
-Tasunke (feedback)
-Deon (feedback, palace art)
-DioAurion (Wildmana feedback)
-Other Planetfall art contributors (some promotion buttons)
-Gravage, Swinkscalibur, 2Hydroclopse, Breez, Schwarzbart, Brokenbone, jimmythes, Sarisin (RIFE feedback)

And many other people who give feedback, including Rise from Erebus testers.

-Fall from Heaven 2 Mod Team (for making FFH 2) and anyone who contributed to it (see their "Credits" thread)
-Fall Further Mod Team (for making FF) and anyone who contributed to it (see their "Credits" thread)

-Firaxis/2K Games (maker of Civ 4)

It seems like there are a lot of things here that could be done kind of like Illians+, adding more depth and flavour to an existing race. Why did you choose to create a new civ, instead ?

You ninja'd me Warkirby. I was reading the description and was thinking why not make this Illians+ instead?

What do you think would be better done by being added to the Illians? If you look at the next two items on the list, Blizzards and the Ascended, both of those are features I intend to add to the Illians as well. (Blizzards will spawn in Illian lands, Auric will get the bonuses that Taranis gets as well). A secondary goal of this new civ/module is to add stuff to the Illians.

Currently, the Illians have been given:

-Passive (and temporary) ice terrain spread by Auric Ascended
-Auric Ascended now has 10 Ice Affinity.
-Mulyalfar Elf Druid UU that can cast Freeze Forest that does not require Neutral alignment.
-Winterborn trait (although it currently only helps the Frozen, not the Illians, since Winterborn is applied as the racial promotion).

It's not much for now, but as I said, the next two "components" of this new civ aren't really part of the new civ, they're modcomps that I'm going to release independently and will benefit both the Illians and the Frozen. Although maybe I should release all the Illian stuff together as an Illians+ and expand it from there.

However, several of the mechanics would not work well with the Illians:

-The Winterborn/Wintered/Frozen Souls system is unique to a summonable, Fallow civilization. It would be a bad idea to give such a mechanic to the Illians, who are not Fallow. Likewise, the worldspell would have no use- it exists to help further the above mechanic for the Frozen, and the Illians already have a worldspell.
-The UUs and UBs are mostly Frozen-specific. It would make no sense to give demonic (or ice-demonic) UUs to a non-demonic civilization. I could add them as summons, but then the Illians would have a lot more summons then everyone else. And the UB (the other UB is the Temple of the Hand) is an Aqueduct replacement that expands production instead of health, and actually decreases health. Would not work very well in a civilization that isn't Fallow (or has Demonic Citizens/Frozen Souls buildings in cities).

The main reason that I made a new civ instead of just expanding an old one is that I wanted to do something with Winter/Ice (not necessarily the Illians), and I wanted to make a summonable civ. One thing that I have not seen in any modmod (correct me if I'm wrong) are civs you can summon and then switch to. This was a mechanic I liked in FFH, and so I decided to see about making a third summonable. Even if you don't switch to them, it makes the game more interesting. So I had decided to make a summonable Winter/Ice civilization, and decided that while I was making a summonable, I could make some stuff to help out the Illians as well, since they would overlap in some areas.

I like the ideas...but I too would prefer it as an Illians+. Fallow Illians would be fine by me...particular if their World Spell wasn't Stasis. I hate Stasis so much that I block Illians on every FF+ game I play.

It seems like there are a lot of things here that could be done kind of like Illians+, adding more depth and flavour to an existing race. Why did you choose to create a new civ, instead ?

If you make Illians Fallow and have all the features of the Frozen Civilization, that would be fine. But unless you're going to do that, then a separate Frozen Civilization is better. And by the way, for a civilization that is *supposed* to be the final bad guy even better than Hyborem, having 2 worldspells (Stasis and Wintering) would be perfectly fine.

To the poster that doesn't like Stasis: Sorry, but Stasis is 1 of 2 reasons to play Illians.

I'm fine with both, personally. Upgrade the Illians, AND have a potential rival for them.

I'm thinking that when we implement the White Hand, the Summoning should be limited to civs following it.... That way the player can 'challenge' Auric for supremacy. :goodjob:

That would be good if the Civilizations who worship the Wight Hand can also create the Ascension Ritual.

I'm thinking that when we implement the White Hand, the Summoning should be limited to civs following it.... That way the player can 'challenge' Auric for supremacy.

My original idea this-making only the Illians able to summon Taranis. However, people decided this was too restrictive.

So this would be a good idea.

Yeah, Illians only is too constrictive for a civ that competes with them. But the White Hand religion would be a good fit.

Also, I changed Taranis Ascended to be equal in strength to the version of Auric in my mod... I had merged in Warkirby's Monstrous Creatures, so Auric was massively powerful. :lol:

Have a few things to mention...

First, I had no idea hawks could appear to move normally like the Aquilan, didn't think they had an animation for it. Going to have to have some for the Animal faction now. :lol:

Second, I had the same bug on summoning them, my screen remained on the Illian territory (Test run, to make sure it worked) but I could not see their units/cities.

Third and last, found a bug, in reqFrozenLands. Basically, you check for the team of the player who owns a plot... Without first making sure there is an owner. :p

I'm only posting the added line, and the line above it for reference... All lines below the new one should be indented.

Code:
iPlotOwner = pPlot.getOwner()
if iPlotOwner != -1:

First, I had no idea hawks could appear to move normally like the Aquilan, didn't think they had an animation for it. Going to have to have some for the Animal faction now.

They can't. However, Fiacra the North Wind from Age of Ice can. So I just stole those graphics. So if you want to have some Hawks, you should probably use the bird art files in the Frozen art folder, not the in-game hawks.

Third and last, found a bug, in reqFrozenLands. Basically, you check for the team of the player who owns a plot... Without first making sure there is an owner

I didn't add or touch reqFrozenLands, or spellFrozenLands for that matter. It's in regular Fall Further's CvSpellInterface.py... You must have searched for "Frozen" and found this by accident.

They can't. However, Fiacra the North Wind from Age of Ice can. So I just stole those graphics. So if you want to have some Hawks, you should probably use the bird art files in the Frozen art folder, not the in-game hawks.

That's what I meant, actually. Can apply different skins to them, so long as the skeleton remains the same.

I had already tried it with normal hawks, so I didn't think it was possible... Never really played AoI, so I had no idea Fiacra could or I'd have already used it. :lol:

I didn't add or touch reqFrozenLands, or spellFrozenLands for that matter. It's in regular Fall Further's CvSpellInterface.py... You must have searched for "Frozen" and found this by accident.

:blush: Woops, that's one of the spells Vermicious added for the Jotnar. I assumed it was yours because of the Frozen part. :lol:

Anyone else getting the option to build the Winter rituals even if not Illian/Frozen? The python limiting them does not seem to be working.

This was the code I used, to allow people to easily make other people able to build the rituals if they had Winter Tech. It's only triggered if not iFrozen == -1, where iFrozen = gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_FROZEN'). It's under cannotCreate, surrounded by a lot of comments.

Code:
			if (eProject == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROJECT_SAMHAIN') or eProject == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROJECT_THE_WHITE_HAND') or eProject == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROJECT_THE_DEEPENING') or eProject == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROJECT_THE_DRAW') or eProject == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROJECT_ASCENSION')):
				if not (gc.getTeam(pPlayer.getTeam())).isHasTech(gc.getInfoTypeForString('TECH_WINTER_TECH')):
					return True

Looking at CvGameUtils.py, I see that I forgot to mark iFrozen as being part of the code, so you might not have moved it over... Are you testing this in FF+ or in this version?

Alternatively, I could have just messed something up.

Top Bottom