Theov

Deity
Do you like x-mas? Do you?!
INTRODUCING: THE CIV1 XMAS GRAPHICS MOD​

Give that castle a hat! It's cold!

It's easy. It's fast. It's pretty.
You will love it.

1. unzip the file attached file
  2. find the SP257.PIC file in your Civ1 folder and save it somewhere else (for after the holidays of course).
  3. copy the mod file into the Civ1 folder
X. to uninstall just copy the old file back

Enjoy.​

Attachments

• SP257.rar
    16.7 KB · Views: 205
And here is an added MOD to give you a touch of winter!

1. Backup your SP256.PAL file (copy as "SP246.PAL.bak")
2. Download and unzip View attachment SP256.zip into you CIV dir
3. Enjoy!

Makes me want to play CIV by the fireplace just looking at it!!! :)

4. To uninstall, remove SP256.PAL and rename back your "SP256.PAL.bak" to "SP256.PAL"

Attachments

• civ_873.png
    civ_873.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 2,686
Downloading these now. I usually play on Emperor but for "Christmas" I'm going play a light game on Prince. Thanks in advance you two, I am chuckling already. Merry Christmas!

Jarvis

I played all the way through on Prince with the Christmas-mod. :) I couldn't really tell the difference between the terrain types, I irrigated the desert a time or two while fumbling around in early B.C. Used my usual strategy... so unfortunately, no campaigns full of santa-chariots, pretty much the only units to sport their x-mas hats were diplomats and caravans (such as the caravans' hats were...) prior to my battleships popping out around 700 A.D. My 40,000 colonists were ready to go by 1300 AD but I had to hang around another 20 turns before I could launch my 15-year spaceship for 1505 arrival.

I had forgotten how easy this game is on Prince compared to Emperor... mind you I've been winning most of my Emperor games lately. (I play totally without cheats / exploits, I don't even manipulate the shield box.) I found my strategy over the past year has drifted closer towards what Carniflex described, though I stumbled into it on my own.. which is bee-line for Republic, making peace with neighbors and expanding rapidly with minimal military expense (barbarians are the biggest risk early game, and thus the biggest risk of the whole game)... Try to switch to Republic by 2500 or 2000 BC, have around 6 to 9 cities and build Bach's cathedral by 1500 BC, then more WLTK day and markets, banks, and colosseums before doing a bee-line for Theory of Gravity and Newton's College by around 900 BC, then build universities.. and watch how many techs come in before 1 AD. In the past year is when I really started playing this way, on account of doing trials of the first 4000 years over and over again... at first it was a delight to get Railraod in B.C... then I realized Industrialization is just a little further.. then I realized Electronics or Steel is just a little further.. then I realized Computers are just a little further. So now when I play on Emperor, unless someone beats me to Isaac Newton's (which can happen!) I usually get tech somewhere between Railroad and Computers by 1 AD. This time with my Christmas celebration playing on Prince, I got twelve cities and Computers just before 1 AD but was really not playing carefully. Then on to Hoover Dam, Women's Suffrage, and Factories before exploring the world by battleship... meeting triremes and sails. I figured the quickest way to finish my x-mas game would be build a spaceship -- I don't usually finish the spaceship when I'm still in the 20-year turn range! So I had forgotten about that actually but it worked out.

Thanks for the hoilday diversion, it was fun and the x-mas theme was a good excuse for a quick game on lower difficulty. Thanks Theov and, as always, Darkpanda!

Jarvis

P.S. Hey Darkpanda, there's just one more thing I've been tempted to ask you ... something from the pandora's box, when or if you may have time. That is -- may as well remove all the mystery... Just how is it that Wonders are awarded to the computer players? To give you an idea how silly my playing has become, I have a rule against opening the City View since finding out about luck manipulation. Yet, I have no problem opening City View for a legitimate (unavoidable) purpose, namely when a city builds something or celebrates. So if I am racing to build the Colossus in B.C... (I build Bach's first, but if I finish Bach's and Colossus is still available, I figure I may as well see if I can grab it quick.) Well, if I'm itching to build the Colossus with every turn a risk of the computer nabbing it out from under my nose, I find myself building a "Temple" or something just to reset the random-seed to something hopefully "safe", with no idea if doing so is effective or not! So, my question -- if you choose to humor it -- is how algorithmically are Wonders awarded to the computer Civs? How many rand() calls are made (i.e. whether the computers play their turns first) before the Wonder awards are given would be a relevant factor.... I would be curious just to know, but if I don't get a response from you on this anytime soon, I don't feel bad. Merry Christmas -- and (to quote Theov) -- a Happy Cived New Year!

Attachments

• screen1120ad.png
    screen1120ad.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 339
  • xmas_zulus.png
    xmas_zulus.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 424
Lol I just noticed the X-mas hat on the Castle in my own screenshot! Your attention to detail Theov.. :)

The newspaper headlines talk about Olympic Games results... Winter Games I assume ? ;)

jarvisc: to give you a short answer on random Wonders, you need to realize that there are hundreds, if not thousands of calls to the rand() function at every turn... When hacking the re-seeding with City View, you see that there are a lot of variables to control such as city size, city name, number of buildings, etc... This is not taking into account all other random-sensitive events such as battles, diplomatic choices, all of them multiplied by the number of units or other Civs, barbarians throwing in some more rand() calls in the middle, all of those I wanted to avoid when forcing the randomness outcome. And still, it is not very practical to put into action without losing the CIV's spirit.
In other words, when building a Temple to provoke a City View, you as much likely to actually provoke another Civ to build the Colossus as you are preventing them from it... Unless you know exactly what you are doing :)
I will look into it, but I'm rather sure I will find a very basic rule like "random choice of 1 in 100, random choice of Wonder, random choice of Civ, then: if Civ *can* build Wonder, then build it".
I'll keep you posted.

Couldn't help but put my own spin on the units as well... Sorry for competing with yours Theov! :p

Here's a pack with both SP256.PIC SP257.PIC and SP256.PAL: View attachment CIV_XMAS-darkpanda.zip

I also made the red color more Xmas red, and changed oasis, fish, "gifted" settlers, city walls/fortified...

Happy holidays! :D

Attachments

• civ_876.png
    civ_876.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,346
  • civ_875.png
    civ_875.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,589
Thanks for the reply Darkpanda. I'm sure assigning Wonders is not quite so simple, I'm sure Civ has a surprise or two under the hood yet... part of the reason I ask is I have noticed some factors influencing computer Wonders which do not seem just random. For example, it happens quite commonly to me (!) that an enemy civ will build a wonder, two turns in a row. The same civ! Something is going on there if you ask me. Besides, even if it is not practical to have any influence by casual City View'ing, it would still be interesting to know the formula such as minimum city size for a computer to be given a wonder or other constraints. Sometimes one is on the fence between keeping an enemy civ as a "vassal" or just conquering their last city or two... If one knew the likelihood of the enemy city building a Wonder or not, it might influence the decision to capture the city "first" or "after".

For such an old and celebrated game I figure we might as well know how it works.. thanks to your efforts we are finding out more and more, and we are looking forward to your book -- Anatomy of a video game classic!!

P.S. Sneak-peek of my bonus question for next year: How are barbarians spawned? ;)

Couldn't help but put my own spin on the units as well... Sorry for competing with yours Theov! :p

Here's a pack with both SP256.PIC SP257.PIC and SP256.PAL: View attachment 367107

I also made the red color more Xmas red, and changed oasis, fish, "gifted" settlers, city walls/fortified...

Happy holidays! :D
I was thinking about doing something with the fish as well, but I thought fish with hats was too ridiculous ;)

In the SP257 file, what is that big white castle used for??

I was thinking about doing something with the fish as well, but I thought fish with hats was too ridiculous ;)

Well! It's xmas after all, nothing can be too cheesy ;)

In the SP257 file, what is that big white castle used for??

Remnants of unused art... Would be ineresting to replace one of the active castle with the white one.

In CIV graphics you can see many such remnants: in SP257 you also have pink fish, and various mouse pointers, but most interestingly is SPRITES.PIC, the 16-color version of SP257.PIC, where you can see various alternatives to some CIV units (artillery, knight, chariots, ...).
SPACEST.PIC has a red component which is not used in-game.

Oh man, the peppermint Walls and the fish with hats put it over the top.
Reminds me of one of Dr. Seuss.

Oh wow! Why did I not know of this before?

Now have to wait 10 months to try this one out :(

Its nearly christmas and I'm going to give this theme a go :)

Any updates to this planned? Is it difficult to see terrain types with darkpanda's version?

Top Bottom