Civ specific wonder?

Siddhartha

Chieftain
I would like to be able to create a wonder that can only be built by a certain civilization, however I do not see that as an option in the editor. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Yeah sure. You create a technology, and set it to era none (that makes it unresearchable and untradeable) and give that tech to the civ(s) that shall be able to build the wonder as starting tech. Now either you set the wonder to require that tech (makes it available for that civ right at the beginning) or requiere another new tech, which requires the none-era tech.

MSTK said:
Heh. Maybe we will find a mod one day that gives everyone a starting tech that says "American Folklore" or "Roman Mythology" that allows them to build their civ-specific wonder.

If I ever finish my "1071" mod it'll come close. ;)

-Oz

PS Don't forget that you can also have an "Era=None" tech be assigned to a certain Civ(s) and then have that be a prerequisite for a later tech, so that a wonder (like the Empire State Building, perhaps) might not be available at start. Just make sure the later tech is Optional else no other Civ(s) will be able to advance beyond that era!

-O.

you could also have the wonder require a resource that appears only later in the game. that would save a space in the tech tree and accomplish the same thing in keeping the wonder from appearing too early in the game.

Conversely, if you want to limit a wonder to a particular area and not soley to one civ, i.e. Great Wall to be kept in China, Pyramids in Egypt, then what you do is create a resource specific to that wonder and place it where you want the wonder to be built. Then you go into the improvements tab and set the wonder to require the resource be within city limit, and voila that wonder will only be built in that spot. This of course assumes that you are playing on a preset map.

MSTK said:
Heh. Maybe we will find a mod one day that gives everyone a starting tech that says "American Folklore" or "Roman Mythology" that allows them to build their civ-specific wonder.
DyP has civ specific techs, though we don't use them for this particular purpose.

Kal-el said:
you could also have the wonder require a resource that appears only later in the game. that would save a space in the tech tree and accomplish the same thing in keeping the wonder from appearing too early in the game.

Conversely, if you want to limit a wonder to a particular area and not soley to one civ, i.e. Great Wall to be kept in China, Pyramids in Egypt, then what you do is create a resource specific to that wonder and place it where you want the wonder to be built. Then you go into the improvements tab and set the wonder to require the resource be within city limit, and voila that wonder will only be built in that spot. This of course assumes that you are playing on a preset map.

Good point (as usual :) ). In "1071" I use "invisible resources" (i.e., without icons) -- an example would be the icon-less resource "Scots" appearing in Edinburgh to build Highland Warriors.

-Oz

I set it up similarly to this; I automatically give an era=none tech to a civ that allows the wonder to be built. I also place a building prerequisite, and the tech for that building may appear later in the game.

I might not have explained myself clearly, so here's an example. Let's say that the Lighthouse is specific to Greece. I give Greece automatically an era=none tech to allow them to build the Lighthouse, but specify that the city it's built in must have a habour first. Greece therefore have to wait until they've researched Map Making to build the habour, after which they'll be able to build the Lighthouse.

R8XFT said:
I set it up similarly to this; I automatically give an era=none tech to a civ that allows the wonder to be built. I also place a building prerequisite, and the tech for that building may appear later in the game.

I might not have explained myself clearly, so here's an example. Let's say that the Lighthouse is specific to Greece. I give Greece automatically an era=none tech to allow them to build the Lighthouse, but specify that the city it's built in must have a habour first. Greece therefore have to wait until they've researched Map Making to build the habour, after which they'll be able to build the Lighthouse.

*sound of slapping oneself on the forehead* Of course! Excellent approach.

-Oz

MSTK said:
Wait...so you can't set a wonder to have two prerequisits?

Possible prerequisites are any combination of the following:

1. 1 Advance
2. 1 Improvement/Wonder TYPE (any # of buildings can be specified)
3. # of armies
4. Government Type
5. Up to 2 required resources

-Oz

The mod I'm working on has civ-specific wonders such as the Potala Palace or the Mongol Horde. :) It's actually a lot easier to create civ-specific wonders than I originally thought.

It's important to remember that since these wonders can absolutely be built by you and that no one can, you make some obstacles to replace the race for time.

For example, requiring resources that must be acquired first, prerequisite buildings, and other such things. Even if the number of shields required is the same or lower than usual.

Top Bottom