The Last of the Civworthy

What happens with the Christian Orthodox civs? We do have enough catholics and protestants , and also Buddhism and thge Muslim religion are represented.
Russia only remains in the game , how sad for our religion.

Intriguing question! I think the problem here in Civ (both for Orthodox nations and for Slavic nations) is the way that the vast importance of Russia overshadows the other Orthodox/Slavic nations, however fascinating and important they are.

Also: Europe. :D

Poor people......Oh,dear, why didnt I become a history teacher in a university?
Russia overshadows the rest only in the modern era.
The source of the Cyrilic alphabet, culture and books is Bulgaria. This is so because after the Turks took over Byzantium and Bulgaria, many of the monks and books were transported to Russia (to be rescued by the Christian-loving rulers there in stead of burned here in Bulgaria)
So, you are wrong... Russia is mightier than many countries in the last 3 centuries but its culture is not created by the Russians in the very beginning of their self-acceptance as one Russian people. Not to mention, Russians ethnically first originated from Scandinavians and later they shifted far from that culture.
Obviously, nowadays the only huge and strong Orthodox Church is the Russian Church. All must admit it

Poor people......Oh,dear, why didnt I become a history teacher in a university?
Russia overshadows the rest only in the modern era.
The source of the Christian alphabet, culture and books is Bulgaria. This is so because after the Turks took over Byzantium and Bulgaria, many of the monks and books were transported to Russia (to be rescued by the Christian-loving rulers there in stead of burned here in Bulgaria)
So, you are wrong... Russia is mightier than many countries in the last 3 centuries but its culture is not created by the Russians in the very beginning of their self-acceptance as one Russian people. Not to mention, Russians ethnically first originated from Scandinavians and later they shifted far from that culture.
Obviously, nowadays the only huge and strong Orthodox Church is the Russian Church. All must admit it

I find no mention of Bulgaria here or other Google searches I did. Please state your sources.

I think you'll find that Christian culture began in Jerusalem, and then Rome played a big part in spreading it. ;)

That is, unless you can provide sources for your information (credible ones too). ;)

I didnt say Christian culture, I had a spelling mistake, "christian" has to be "cyrilic"...... That was the big problem with Rome back then-they had a law according to which Christianity can be sermoned only in Latin, Greek and Hebrew. Cyril who had a Greek father and a Slav mother wanted freedom for all people to learn God's words on their own language. So, he was in trouble brifely put-the Catholic church did not agree with this. But he created Glagolitza and won the debates in Rome (the more complex alphabet) ; later it was simplified to Cyrilic alphabet; later his students who respected all he did continued his teachings and started educating others (using the new alphabet). I will give you links about Bulgaria's role in this.

Nobody wishes to be misunderstood
I said the Cyrilic alphabet and the first books written on it originate from Bulgaria and then travel to Russia. I am not an idiot to claim we created Christianity.
I am saying we had a primary role in creating the way we (Russia, Bulgaria, Serbia, etc.) practice it. I will give you the links with historical info after I make sure they are the ones needed. The period is IX century AD.

p.s. Why did I have to go so deep in medieval discussions?
Nobody asked "How the heck are you saying a Bulgarian pilot was the first to scout and try bombarding an enemy city from an airplane?"

No matter what, I FEEL I AM REALISTIC and I see we WILL NOT BE THE LAST CIV INCLUDED IN THE GAME... Still, happy to discuss it with you all

Why not include Armenia? It has existed since ancient times, was the first nation to adopt Christianity as a state religion, and controlled a large empire at one time. Just sayin'.

The Armenia thing was totally tongue in cheek, btw. It's a game, whatever the include, I'll play :)

I'd love Tibet in the game but the game would be banned in China then. *Sigh*

was the first nation to adopt Christianity as a state religion

as if it's the only religion in the world that matters. if that's an important feat, then lets bring in the thousands of other civs in the world.

re: my nation participated in WW1 and/or WW2

dude, it's a WORLD war. just about everyone was involved.

as if it's the only religion in the world that matters. if that's an important feat, then lets bring in the thousands of other civs in the world.

dude, it's a WORLD war. just about everyone was involved.

Christianity is one of the major world religions. So Armenia being the first official Christian kingdom is pretty significant. I'm not saying it should be in ciV but there's no need to downplay the fact.

Christianity is one of the major world religions. So Armenia being the first official Christian kingdom is pretty significant. I'm not saying it should be in ciV but there's no need to downplay the fact.

I didn't downplay the fact. History downplayed it. Historians downplayed it. heck ask any Christian and see if they care or even know about this amazing fact.

I didn't downplay the fact. History downplayed it. Historians downplayed it. heck ask any Christian and see if they care or even know about this amazing fact.

Historians haven't downplayed it. Just because you don't care doesn't make it insignificant.

Having studied Greek and Roman history in University, I found the ancient world fascinating. The relations between Rome and Parthia and Persia in relation to Armenia was very interesting. Lots of political intrigue and maneuvering. Hopefully ciV will be the same way. I think with the addition of city states it will be. :D

Here's a good summation of Armenian history. 3500 years is impressive.

http://www.littlearmenia.com/html/little_armenia/armenian_history.asp

Here's another good resource on Armenian history.

http://www.armenianhistory.info/

Very good quote as well.
...an oppressed and noble nation... It would be difficult, perhaps, to find the annals of a nation less stained with crimes than the Armenians, whose virtues have been those of peace, and their vices those of compulsion.
But whatever may have been their destiny... their country must ever be one of the most interesting on the globe; and perhaps their language only requires to be more studied to become more attractive.
Lord Byron

Wow. I really didn't mean for my "Armenia" comment to cause such a fuss. As a 3rd generation Armenian American (but not a Christian) I can say that the Armenians have a rich and fascinating history. And great food.

Are they Civworthy? I think any historical culture is Civworthy.

Nice links Thormodr.

Wow. I really didn't mean for my "Armenia" comment to cause such a fuss. As a 3rd generation Armenian American (but not a Christian) I can say that the Armenians have a rich and fascinating history. And great food.

Are they Civworthy? I think any historical culture is Civworthy.

Nice links Thormodr.

My pleasure. It's quite an interesting history.

Agreed. There are many Civworthy cultures. Not many slots though. :(

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Armenian City State in the game anyway. :)

I never thought about Armenia
Being objective now!! --- Yes, guys, Armenia is a very interesting country (and ethnos) I like the idea.

While I understand why the Moors could be in the game, my only concern is there will be too much of an overlap in the city list between the Moors, Spanish and Carthaginians.

Top Bottom