Pointless and silly over the top rant #5687

Btw I wonder why Warsaw is "hostile"...

Because the Poles don't like people invading and occupying their countries for several centuries.

How can you rule from a kitchen? ;)

Anyway, I don't agree with Edinburg,Scotland being irrational. How is FREEEDOOM! irrational? Braveheart won't take this lightly...

Oh, and they're deep frying butter now. Trying to reply to all the main topics.

Well, technically speaking, Dublin was actually the second city of the empire by 1900, and still the first city of batterburgers...

Well, technically speaking, Dublin was actually the second city of the empire by 1900, and still the first city of batterburgers...

I highly doubt it, most references still have it as that Scottish city, a crude way to determine this is searching 'second city of the empire <city name>' either Dublin or Glasgow.

"Glasgow, in Scotland, was in the past called 'The Second City of the Empire', during the 19th and early 20th century." Perhaps it was Dublin in the 18th century, but not 19th or early 20th. Indeed, after the rise in Glasgow's economic power, Dublin's nickname as the "Second City of the Empire," was eventually passed on to Glasgow.

I highly doubt it, most references still have it as that Scottish city, a crude way to determine this is searching 'second city of the empire <city name>' either Dublin or Glasgow.

"Glasgow, in Scotland, was in the past called 'The Second City of the Empire', during the 19th and early 20th century." Perhaps it was Dublin in the 18th century, but not 19th or early 20th. Indeed, after the rise in Glasgow's economic power, Dublin's nickname as the "Second City of the Empire," was eventually passed on to Glasgow.

Credit due, you are quite right. Dublin had been considered so BEFORE the act of Union in the 18th Century, though many still did consider it more significant (politically speaking) than other cities right up to 1910, rigthly or wrongly. The thing with the Empire is prior to 1914, when Birmingham really took over, many cities had that label - York, Liverpool, Bristol, Glasgow and Dublin probably the five most prominent in the past 400 years, and could claim the title, all for different reasons at different times.

Edinburgh, of course, was never the second city, and to this day their bitterness has led to it being filled with nothing but copycat, irrational confectionery-deep-frying militarists.

Apart from those who are forum members here, of course.

Scotland is now being brutally oppressed by england, who refuses to grant it independence. By making england a full-fledged civilization and redelegating scotland to the role of a "city-state" firaxis endorses london's imperialism and oppression. Boycott civ5.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

If Edinburgh as a city state is meant to represent Scotland in total then Irrational makes perfect sense to me. I mentally came up with 5 poignant and crushing historical illustrations thereof in about 10 seconds. And no, they will not be spelled out here on the risk of starting something of an "unfriendly" discussion. However, if the Mars bar story is correct, that could be number 6!

As for Geneva, i.e the Swiss, being labelled Irrational, now that IS baffling.

Just to be safe, you should deep-fry something.

I LOL'd! :lol:

Alright guys, quit making the sexist jokes. If Sid Meier's mother hadn't given birth to him, we wouldn't be fortunate to have Civ in the first place!

Think about it the next time you play as Wu Zetian, Catherine, or Elizabeth. :sad:

Back on topic, let's examine all city-states that have been classified as "Irrational", shall we?

Edinburgh - Heart of the both the Scottish Reformation and the Scottish Enlightenment
Florence - Birthplace of the Renaissance; home of the Leonardo da Vinci, Galileo Galilei, and Niccolò Machiavelli; funded many expeditions during the Age of Discovery
Geneva - Along with New York, is headquarters to the United Nations and the Red Cross; where the Geneva Conventions were signed; heavily affected by the Protestant Reformation and John Calvin
Monaco - :confused:
Stockholm - :confused:

It appears to the first three "Irrational" city-states have strong connections to progress and reformation, but the last two don't seem to share this aspect. If anyone can find the common link between these cities, then please post it!!!

Anyone considered the possibility that the CS trait is assigned randomly? ;)

Anyone considered the possibility that the CS trait is assigned randomly?

HOW YOU DARE TO DOWNPLAY THE OPPRESSION!!!! :mad:

Alright guys, quit making the sexist jokes. If Sid Meier's mother hadn't given birth to him, we wouldn't be fortunate to have Civ in the first place!

You're highlighting women's breeding role over others. So, still sexist.

Anyone considered the possibility that the CS trait is assigned randomly? ;)
Maybe some guy back on page 1, but who the heck reads the whole thread?

Anyway, I like what we'll provisionally call your idea, Dale. I don't know if we have any evidence for it, but evidence is strictly optional here, so I'll just decide that it's true. Besides, it frees Firaxis from the dangerous situation of having to explain to the Scottish why their city has been deemed Irrational, because, oh man, you do not want to tick those guys off. That's a good way to get whacked upside the head with a deep-fried shopping trolley.

i agree that it is incorrect to be Irrational....surely as the capital of Scotland it should be Inventive, i mean, who else would deep-fry Mars bars..!! ;-)

I disagree 100%, like all things from Scotland it should be Irrelevant

j/k

Top Bottom