Is Civ 5 playable yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienElvis

Chieftain
Hi!

First post, long time lurker. I've been a big fan of the Civ franchise since it first came out. Had I invested all the time I've played Civ into something more productive I'd have learned to speak 12 languages, cured cancer, invented a time machine, who knows?

Anyway, like many people, I found Civ 5 to be a colossal disappointment. I gave up on it about a month after its release and just stuck to Civ 4 BTS.

I'm wondering if the game's been patched/updated enough yet to make it playable or is everyone just holding out hope that Civ 6 won't be such a disaster.

Thanks!

Yes, get Gods and Kings and all DLCs. I think I only come back to Civ4 for the Rhye Earth map and Fall from Heaven mod.

It's been playable from the start. If you meant good, then it depends on your tastes. It's certainly not got the bugs that were present at release, but at the end of the day if you're expecting Civ IV with better graphics, you may as well just play Civ IV forever as put bluntly it, you're not going to like Civ V regardless of how good it is in such a case.

Civ IV, like most game, had some utter rubbish in it as well. The mess that were corporations, vassals and the "spies" in the expansions was enough to give people nightmares, until... you know, they played it for a stupid number of hours and it just became the norm.

Personally I like Civ V, it's actually a very good game, and it certainly hasn't been a "disaster", but hey...

This game is anything but a disaster. The game has continually improved since release and is amazing in its current state. Tons of balance and performance changes along with Gods and Kings have fixed most peoples gripes with the game at release.

Like Menzies said, if you go into it with a bad attitude you might not like it, but if you haven't played since release and you give it a fair chance you'll probably be blown away.

Not gonna be (able) playing this... but yes, CiV is great stuff and the expansion + Fall patch has made it something really to look forward to for afterwork leisure... well it was already like that a long times, personally, but Gods and Kings was like chocolate-crusted cherry on top of a very, very sweet dessert that never ends :king:

Anyway, like many people, I found Civ 5 to be a colossal disappointment. I gave up on it about a month after its release and just stuck to Civ 4 BTS.

Thanks!

Who says "many people" found civ5 a colossal disappointment? It seems you already made up your mind with statement like this, and wasting every bodies time here.

Its getting better, assuming you can look past the scale / immersion destroying 1UPT. Its still missing lots of small things which would help it a lot though, such as river trade routes, international trade routes, map trading... also the espionage system is fairly.. boring really, its not quite as annoying as the constant poisoned water like in IV, but it lacks the flexibility of destroying spaceship parts or improvements etc.

Hi!

First post, long time lurker. I've been a big fan of the Civ franchise since it first came out. Had I invested all the time I've played Civ into something more productive I'd have learned to speak 12 languages, cured cancer, invented a time machine, who knows?

I'm wondering if the game's been patched/updated enough yet to make it playable or is everyone just holding out hope that Civ 6 won't be such a disaster.

Thanks!
First of all, Welcome to CivFanatics. :wavey:

You have joined the largest Civilization Fan Site on the internet with resources posted about all versions of the games in the franchise. I find your questions to be more statements of what you believe the state of Civ5 to be. All around you on this site, players are posting all kinds of information concerning what they think of Civ5 and what strategies they are using to play this game.

Civ5 is not for everyone, but then there are many other varieties of Civilization that you can play and enjoy. Instead of making a thread like this your first, think you should consider reading a bit because there are many threads that have asked this.

As your questions are more statements in the opening post, I challenge to do some reading in the forums and make your own judgement of Civ5.

Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom