Announcing BUFFY

I'm also seeing this same fleeting message attempting to load my latest save from the G-Minor 78 gauntlet. I haven't changed my installation in any way -- no new mods, no changes to config files. I've loaded earlier saves from this game without any problem.

Anyhow, I've attached the affected save and squirreled off copies of my log files in case anyone wants to see them. Is there any way this game can be salvaged?
I was able to load the save without any problems. Try renaming your customassets folder.

Renamed my CustomAssets, no change in behavior.

With the release of BUFFY, we have decided to run a little competition. As you know (or you should know) ...
  • BUG stands for BtS Unaltered Gameplay
  • BAT stands for BtS Artistic Tweaks
  • BULL stands BUg dLL (goofy looking, but we are code hackers, not word smiths)

While the BUG and HOF guys had lots of fun coming up with the name BUFFY, we wanted to share some of the fun with you ... so ... the competition is ...

What does BUFFY stand for?

The winner, or the person judged to get closest to the correct name will win a prize. I am trying to get the HOF guys to accept that the prize should be one of your rejected HOF games accepted but they keep coming back with an autographed copy of BUFFY. I'll keep working on them.

Spoiler :
typical stuff about no arguments regarding who we judge the winner to be, our decision is final, BUFFY rocks, prize cannot be converted to cash, and if it can it is only worth 0.001 yen, competition not valid in states (or countries) with names that contain the letter 'R', only people aged 26 yrs, 205 days old (exactly) can enter, etc, etc here.
As with all things HOF related, this competition will close on the 25th at which point the winner will be announced.

Just wanted to take a moment to say how cool Buffy is !! :D

I was curious about the "dot mapping" layer (is that what it's called?)

Was that added by the Buffy team ?? I just can't get over that feature ... it is amazing ....

kudos, kudos, kudos ........

(and the prechop option !!!... can't wait !!)

I was curious about the "dot mapping" layer (is that what it's called?)

Was that added by the Buffy team ?? I just can't get over that feature ... it is amazing ....

The original concept was posted by Eunomiac as the Strategy Layer. The Dot Mapping Tool is merely one bullet point in his awesome list of features, and sadly the only one we've added so far.

Del69 coded up the first version of the Dot Mapping Tool, and for that we are very grateful. I redid the UI (configurable color palette and mouse commands) for BUG 3.6.

The last missing piece is to make some buttons for it so it's not hidden behind the shortcut keys. There are other features that need buttons, too.

To date I think it's the sexiest BUG feature.

To date I think it's the sexiest BUG feature.
What? No - this cannot be right ... no way is that silly eye candy sexier than the FoV, the 7-1 charts, the scoreboard. No, wait - you did the scoreboard - scratch that.

The FoV slider might be a contender if I could set it in the options screen and remove the slider from the main interface! I set it to 69 and leave it there forever.

As for the Advanced Scoreboard . . . that really needs a configuration screen that works like the CDA where you have a list of columns that you can move up/down and customize. That text entry field is a sad joke. :cry:

So what's "Chipotle" debug mode? I saw it in the Sevopedia. I'm not sure if I asked this question here or elsewhere. On that note, what's the normal debug and are these parts of BUFFY or normal Civ?

So what's "Chipotle" debug mode? I saw it in the Sevopedia. I'm not sure if I asked this question here or elsewhere. On that note, what's the normal debug and are these parts of BUFFY or normal Civ?

"Chipotle" is the cheat code to put into CivilizationIV.ini to be able to a) cheat and b) show on-screen debugging information. This is part of regular Civ4 and unrelated to BUG/BUFFY.

BUG (and thus BUFFY) has a logging subsystem for the developers and modders to write information on-screen (in event log) and/or to a file. This is used to find bugs and display warnings/errors. This is sometimes called debug logging and has nothing to do with Chipotle.

oh, I see. Thanks. BUFFY has really helped me enjoy the game a lot more. I was getting kind of bored of repeats. Although the game is never the same, I always need something "new" for added challenges. Plus, if I ever get good enough to get into the Hall of Fame (yeah, right :mischief:), I'll be able to know if I can submit that game. It still counts if you have custom Civs/Leaderheads, right?

It still counts if you have custom Civs/Leaderheads, right?

AFAIK you cannot modify anything about the game for HOF/xOTM. I would recommend asking in the HOF forum, though. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean.

It looks like you understand, so I'll leave it at that. Thanks. I haven't played an unmodded version of the game in ages :p

I tried reopening one of my old BUG 3.6 saves and ran into problems as well - the old "no interface" issue. So I finally went and uninstalled and reinstalled BtS from scratch. I patched it to 3.19, installed BUFFY, and things seem to be working. I'm thinking it wasn't something specifically BUFFY-related, maybe my install just got corrupted somehow. Hopefully my reinstall didn't result in any change that would invalidate my HOF submission!

newbie question: Prior to today I had no mods installed. I was in the middle of a game with regular BTS. Then I installed BUFFY. When I went to load my latest savegame, it won't let me, says "the save file you have selected requires the following mod: NONE", and wants to restart (I assume restarting will cause it to not load BUFFY).

Is this normal? Once you start a game in one mod, can you not open the savegame created while using a different mod, or no mod? If that's the case, why is "unaltered gameplay" in a mod such a big deal. I assumed that would mean the saves would be compatible with the unmodded game.

Thanks much!

newbie question: Prior to today I had no mods installed. I was in the middle of a game with regular BTS. Then I installed BUFFY. When I went to load my latest savegame, it won't let me, says "the save file you have selected requires the following mod: NONE", and wants to restart (I assume restarting will cause it to not load BUFFY).

Is this normal? Once you start a game in one mod, can you not open the savegame created while using a different mod, or no mod? If that's the case, why is "unaltered gameplay" in a mod such a big deal. I assumed that would mean the saves would be compatible with the unmodded game.

Thanks much!
A game played under mod A cannot be opened under mod B - and you are right, a game with no mod is just a 'none mod'. The unaltered part is that none of the rules of the game have been changed - an archer is still str 3.

Thanks much!

Savegames are always bound to the version they were played with initially. That means a savegame that was previously saved with no mod loaded can't be loaded with a mod afterwards.
This doesn't have anything to do with unaltered gameplay. This term just says that the gameplay will be unaltered if you play a game with this mod.

Why is "unaltered gameplay" in a mod such a big deal. I assumed that would mean the saves would be compatible with the unmodded game.

BUFFY is based on BUG which is BTS Unaltered Gameplay. Since BUG doesn't require a DLL, you can install it to the CustomAssets folder (single-player install) which is not a mod. It becomes active for normal (non-mod) games so you can play your previous saves using it.

BUFFY is based on BUG which is BTS Unaltered Gameplay. Since BUG doesn't require a DLL, you can install it to the CustomAssets folder (single-player install) which is not a mod. It becomes active for normal (non-mod) games so you can play your previous saves using it.

Just to be clear, though, BUFFY also includes stuff from the HOF mod that prevents it from being installed single-player, correct?

I like BUFFY, but I've run into a few issues with it, so I'll probably only use it for HOF games.

hutdweller, I think you might want to try BUG 4.0 for your regular games. I used BUG 3.6 and found it was completely compatible w/r/t save files.

Top Bottom