Multiplayer OOS issues.

Mr.Vith

Chieftain
I'm refraining from posting this in the bug thread for the time being because it seems like I must be doing something wrong.
A friend and I have been trying to play some coop FFH. I'm playing Perp and he's playing Alexis. We've founded OO, AV, and Esus. I have the Necronomicon built. Now, every time OO spreads, we desync. It's so consistent I think we have to be doing something wrong. We've played both direct IP and Hamachi to the same result.
Have any of you more seasoned multiplayer veterans ever encountered this? What would be worth trying to correct it?

Also, how would I go about changing the OO music to something less abrasive? :cry: (bonus points if you know some good sound files of babies shrieking or a fire engine)

It didn't do it with any other religion, just with OO, and just after the Necronomicon was built. I might also note that Mr. Vith was the host and it was his spreading of the religion that triggered the OOS.

Second of all, I would like to take this opportunity to fully endorse the Octopus Overlords music as my candidate for Best Sound Ever. The singer's shrill ululating voice as well as the sound file's overamplified volume level have warmed my old heart. I have assigned the sound to my ringtone, and my doorbell. At work, I set the main telephone line's "on-hold" music to an infinite loop of it, and I have used it to discipline my dog when I train him. The dog now does whatever I ask him to, out of fear. Also, the sound is now my Microsoft Windows start-up sound, and my car's horn.

Have you been having OOS problems before or was it just this game?

I ask because after patching to 3.13 + Bhruic's patch + clearing the game cache, I have not had one OOS issue yet.

Also, which version are you currently using?

Someone gave a detailed folder -> file process for how to clear game cache in an earlier thread. I wanted to check: does holding down shift while loading the game accomplish the same thing as the more complicated method?

Someone gave a detailed folder -> file process for how to clear game cache in an earlier thread. I wanted to check: does holding down shift while loading the game accomplish the same thing as the more complicated method?

Not to my knowledge. I remember it being given as a solution to the OOS issues of patch 3.13, but for most people, deleting that folder was what was needed.

I did a little hunting and found the archived thread. To sum it up, you need to do this:

"Navigate to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\

In this folder is another folder called "beyond the sword". This folder contains your game profile and some cache data. You must either delete or simply rename this folder."

This of course is after making sure you have patch 3.13 and Bruic's unofficial patch.

I also experienced many Out of Synchro in direct IP games last Christmas.
What we found was:
- playing with pach c was more stable than patch e (we had not the patch F at this time)
- for stopping the oos for a while, all players had to quit Civilization and the original host had to relaunch civ4/ffh2 then load the game first (waiting in the lobby) before other players should launch Civ4 and join the saved game.
- oos is like AIDS. If you started a game and got oos at some point, it is more likely to come back sooner rather than later and it seems that you can not "cure" a saved game from this weakness once it is revealed...
- it is independant from the speed of your network (we played with pro 10 Gigabit Ethernet Optical Interfaces, 10GBaseT Cisco xenpack sr/lr... not exactly the average home network)

Actually, I like the Octopus music: an exotic sound that immediately gets my wife saying: "you still play this game?...". Better than the clock you must set in Civ4's options for warning you of a break.

With Bhruic's patch, exactly where do we copy the DLL file to? Is it the Beyond the Sword Assets folder, or the FFH2 Assets folder? I'm seeing a lot of OSS issues still

Top Bottom