Civ IV or Civ Rev?

war ensemble

Warlord
Hey, I'm new to the forum, so I thought I should give a little introduction. Firstly, I apologize if I am in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where exactly to post this. I used to massively enjoy Civ III, but it seems I lost the CD. My options now are Civ IV and Revolution. I have a PS3, a 360, and a PC that according to some site runs the Civ IV halfway between recommended and really fast.

I was wondering what you all thought I should buy between the latest console and PC games. Although the console version would have much better graphics, that doesn't matter to me at all. As a result, I'm stuck deciding primarily on gameplay. I've played both the Civ IV demo and Rev demo. I loved the Rev one but it can get old quick, while IV I liked at first and still like now.

I understand IV is much more complex than Rev, ie it has more in the tech tree, etc. Also it has user mods. This has me leaning towards IV. My only concern is that the game might be too complicated and could serve just to confuse/piss me off. I'm hoping this isn't the case. Price also factors into the equation. I have 60$, so I can either get Civ IV and vanilla Oblivion, or just Civ Rev. Which would be the better option?

The one thing that I disliked about the Rev demo was the fact that, even on warlord, I was absolutely lightyears ahead of the competition. Like, for instance, today I nuked the Zulu's only city, than ran in and pissed everyone off with my submarine. Also, I hate the fact that I can't change the size of the map or edit it at all. If the actual size of the maps is anywhere near as small as they are in the demo I am definitely not buying the game.

Thank you for the input, and I look forward to having a great time on this forum. (Nice forum by the way, good job mods, admin(s), fellow users, and the occasional Firaxis employee)

hey welcome to the forums!
you've actually summed up the arguments for yourself really well!
the only thing i'd say is...dont view it as a compromise..one offers better gameplay, the other better graphics...that kind of thing....it isnt....it's all about what you want from the game, there isnt really a compromise to make.....civ4 does have a very lengthy learning curve, its true....i for example will never fully understand how people can win at the top levels...but the learning curve is gentle and the concepts and ideas behind how to play come naturally through experience...
oh and another thing....how much time do u have on your hands for a game (not in one go lol!)....2 hours....20? 50?...and how picky are you about the options you want in the game...?? the more variation you want, i bet you anything, you'll prefer civ4..
and i am sure civrev is great and it will introduce a whole new generation to civ..but i guess its all about what you want from your game, then the choice will pick itself =)

Civ 4 seems to be the better overall game. I haven't played Civ Rev, so don't hold me on that statement.

I'd get Civ4, and maybe Civ Rev for DS, or later, if you get some more money, for Xbox 360. Civ Rev seems very different than Civ4, so I'd get both.

It seems like Civ IV is the better option. Even if I don't like it, it's half the price with much more features than Rev and so there's less of a risk. I think I'm pretty convinced to get IV and then maybe, as BakingTheArt said, Rev later if I like IV a lot.

As for gametime, I have all summer with no job. By doing the math, that equals a lot of time to play the game. :)

I am a huge fan of variation, namely map size and land:water ratio. I absolutely loved playing as the Zulus with full islands and full map size on. I could just build a huge empire and then rush to build a navy, then defeat a city without the rest of their cities having time to react. Playing around with stuff like that is just awesome. I might even delve into the world of mods at some point, that should add some longevity to the game. Not to mention expansions. Yep, longevity is not a concern.

I think I've made the decision that I was leaning towards: getting Civ IV and Oblivion. Hopefully all turns out well.

Hey, I'm new to the forum, so I thought I should give a little introduction. Firstly, I apologize if I am in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure where exactly to post this. I used to massively enjoy Civ III, but it seems I lost the CD. My options now are Civ IV and Revolution. I have a PS3, a 360, and a PC that according to some site runs the Civ IV halfway between recommended and really fast.

I was wondering what you all thought I should buy between the latest console and PC games. Although the console version would have much better graphics, that doesn't matter to me at all. As a result, I'm stuck deciding primarily on gameplay. I've played both the Civ IV demo and Rev demo. I loved the Rev one but it can get old quick, while IV I liked at first and still like now.

I understand IV is much more complex than Rev, ie it has more in the tech tree, etc. Also it has user mods. This has me leaning towards IV. My only concern is that the game might be too complicated and could serve just to confuse/piss me off. I'm hoping this isn't the case. Price also factors into the equation. I have 60$, so I can either get Civ IV and vanilla Oblivion, or just Civ Rev. Which would be the better option?

The one thing that I disliked about the Rev demo was the fact that, even on warlord, I was absolutely lightyears ahead of the competition. Like, for instance, today I nuked the Zulu's only city, than ran in and pissed everyone off with my submarine. Also, I hate the fact that I can't change the size of the map or edit it at all. If the actual size of the maps is anywhere near as small as they are in the demo I am definitely not buying the game.

Thank you for the input, and I look forward to having a great time on this forum. (Nice forum by the way, good job mods, admin(s), fellow users, and the occasional Firaxis employee)

ok instead of getting oblivion if ur going to get civ 4 i suggest u get the bts expansion...it should run u a total of 50 dollars for vanila civ 4 and bts because if u want a civ 4 game, then the expansion totally kicks the normal one up a notch....there is soooo many more options in bts than in vanilla that makes vanilla look pathetic...im serious...like one example is that in civ 4 vanila thers 18 civs and i think somewhere around 27 leaders while in bts thers about 34 civs and 52 leaders...along with espionage, corporations, the apolistitic palace ( ancient un basically) an expanded tech tree, great generals from warlords vassal states and a bunch more options that make the game awesome...ull get bored of civ 4 vanilla fast im guessing after a good 10 games or so...so i suggest instead of oblivion you get civ 4 bts...trust me ask anyone and its worth it...sure its got some bugs right now but every game does and that will get fixed eventually...:goodjob:

Well if you know how to play civ3 then you should have no trouble getting into civ4.
I will just warn you though, that defensive strategies do not work in civ4, you will need to be agressive to hold your ground in wars - make good use of collateral damage units until you research flight. The Artillery got castrated in civ4 so you will need to replace them with bombers ASAP during the game.

i think it just depends on what you like better, if you like the older worker built improvements and the user friendless of a key board and mouse then Civ IV is for you, but if you like less micromanagement and more exciting game play(like barbarian leader heads talking and the other leader isin't just a head and shoulder making a few movements), then rev is for you. Also die hard Civ fans are going to like IV better because rev will be made so that it is more fun to non-civ players(in the process taking out many in depth things) who aren't going to pay 60 bucks for a casual game

civ 4 complete without a doubt

Civ Complete can be had for about $35 USD, CIV IV + Warlords + BTS.
Civ 4 Complete: $34.90 @ GoGamer and
Civ 4 Complete: $34.99 @ NWS Online Combat Gaming Store

Wow, thank you! I'll get THAT and Oblivion then. :)

On second thought, that Gogamer site says the game only includes Warlords, while the second site includes both. Also, are these sites legit/have you used them, because I haven't ever heard of either of them. Now I'm confused, haha.

Does anyone know any retail outlet that would sell Civ 4 complete, or IV plus BTS for less than 60$? Thanks. (I'm in the US.)

The NWS site is new to me, GoGamer is fairly well known across the gaming sites. GoGamer also referenced at SlickDeals.net, and forum posters confirming it has all 3 games.

There is another site that has it cheaper, I didn't post it. It's Tawain/or Korean (I forget), ~25$, and that I found to be possibly suspect.

I wouldn't question the price all too much at $35 or so, amazon.co.uk has it for ~18#UK, but I don't believe canada/or US can order and expect shipment from amazon uk.

I don't believe you can buy it Civ4 Complete retail in north america. Last time I checked Amazon.com and Amazon.ca only had up to CIV4 Gold.

The NWS site is new to me, GoGamer is fairly well known across the gaming sites. GoGamer also referenced at SlickDeals.net, and forum posters confirming it has all 3 games.

There is another site that has it cheaper, I didn't post it. It's Tawain/or Korean (I forget), ~25$, and that I found to be possibly suspect.

I wouldn't question the price all too much at $35 or so, amazon.co.uk has it for ~18#UK, but I don't believe canada/or US can order and expect shipment from amazon uk.

I don't believe you can buy it Civ4 Complete retail in north america. Last time I checked Amazon.com and Amazon.ca only had up to CIV4 Gold.

That NWS site seems fairly legit, it has its own active forum, and apparently those guys create their own naval warfare simulator games, hence the NWS. I suppose I'll buy it from there then, which I guess means I won't be able to use up my Best Buy gift certificate. Oh well, haha. I couldn't find the Complete version anywhere else in North America either.

Thanks for all the help man, it's really appreciated!

Wow, thank you! I'll get THAT and Oblivion then.

the only two games i own. Oblivion is a beautiful game. Civ4 has the replayability factor. but i say revolution so you can takl aboiut it.

@TroyTheFace : Yeah most reviews and commentor/owners either love Oblivion or hate it, but they pretty much all agree its gorgeous.

Personally I'm waiting for Sacred 2. I mussed about with Sacred (w/o the expansion) last year - picked it up on a fluke for 9.99 @ the Source (canada's Circuit City). I'd never heard of it before - I never buy software like that hehehe.

The NPC's were awesome, little things... like at night the townsfolk start walking around with torches... when the kids in town come at you (the children tend to follow you about... ) It's like this Children of the Corn moment lol.

Civ 4 all the way. Its complicated sure, but if you play on easy levels you can get away with ignoring the more complicated aspects and concentrate on the core while you learn.

Civ Rev sounds great for a console game...

For me though, I like my TBS with a mouse and keyboard, and with the options available to mod and tweak as I see fit.

In fact, I could probably ignore the fact that Civ Rev' is dumbed down, and less complicated and deep as it's cousin, CivIV, but I can't ignore the fact that it will no doubt restrict what can be done with the game in terms of mods and tweaks.
(I probably also couldn't ignore having to use a control pad as a means to take over the world... it just doesn't seem right)

Also, i heard the maps are rather small... with less civs etc. I'm just getting used to the custom super huge earth maps with 32 civs...

Hi ,

having seen both now , get CIV IV BTS , you will have more fun with the mods , pbem , etc , ...

its just different , if you love civ IV you will be sad when you play rev , ...

Have a nice day :)

Thanks guys, I'll get Civ Complete from the NWS site. I gave them an email partly to see if they were legit and partly to see if it really was the complete version. I got a reply, by a human, within a half hour. Those guys seem to make and sell naval warfare simulators and have a network with other warfare simulators. So, yeah, doesn't seem too fishy. I'll probably order the game tomorrow, then go to Best Buy and use my 100$ Gift Card on MGS4 and Oblivion.

One good thing was I played the Civ IV demo and REALLY liked it, especially the little stuff like using the workers. Granted, so far I suck at the game, but you'll definitely be seeing me more and more on this site. You can take that as either good or bad, haha.

Top Bottom