JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

I'm not sure. I'm trying to garner enough UI modding experience in order to facilitate it's trait better. I also have other projects that I'm working on, and fast running out of time (University resumes in March, you see) to complete them.

Alright, so I wanted to post some information about my current plans - which I realise might be a bit out of character.

At the moment, my main focus is an overhaul mod (not Sovereign Revisal, which I've temporarily taken a break from to gain more experience, and to indulge of nostalgia) that I will make a thread about once I have a demo to release. Suffice to say, the mod is an ancient world mod that pays homage to another game.

Secondary to this, I am working on updating my civs for the latest patch - making changes where necessary to make these civs more interesting, more modular or more intuitive, whilst also fixing any stale bugs. The order in which these civs are updated is dependent upon how much change needs to be had and how difficult these changes will be - thus the HRE will likely be last. Hungary will be updated next.

Hungary:

UA: Hungarian Fortitude: Cities following your majority religion gain 30 more hit-points. If a city following your religion is captured by another civilization, gain a free Mounted unit at your Capital.
UB: Vegvar: Replaces Castle. +25% Religious Pressure from this city. 10% of :c5food: Food is carried over whenever a new citizen is born. +2 :c5faith: Faith, +2 :c5gold: Gold Maintenance.

I am only planning at most three (but more likely two) new civs: Switzerland is already completed but for some bugfixing for the UA and UB, I have begun New Zealand and the third would be the French Republic to complete my WW2 set should I get the art for de Gaulle and the French Republic.

Finally, if anyone has any suggestions for any of my civs please don't hesitate to share them. This includes offering any replacement leaderscreen artwork, as Guys was kind enough to make for the Vandals. The leaderscreens for custom civs here are fast outpacing my own in terms of quality (thanks to the talent of Leugi in this department) and I don't have the time or patience to keep up, so I'd be more than grateful for anything that meets those standards.

Switzerland:

UA: Armed Neutrality: Military buildings provide Manpower, which may be sold to other civilizations to boost their Military Unit Production by 25% per resource (up to 100%). City-States do not become upset by your intruding units.
UB: National Bank: Replaces East Empire Company. In addition to the EEC's regular effects, the National Bank grants you 10% of the :c5gold: Gold produced by all civilizations that you have Open Borders/a Declaration of Friendship with (pending balancing).
UU: Combat Medic: A standalone unit that gains the Medic promotion and has a minor combat strength.

New Zealand:

For New Zealand, I'm thinking the following as the UB:

UB: Cinema: Replaces the Stadium. 50% of :tourism: Tourism produced by this city is converted into :c5gold: Gold each turn.

Or this as the UA (I haven't played enough games to remember how much Tourism a city might produce on average vs. how much Tourism the empire might produce).

This would depend upon if I can think of something to give NZ some relevance in the earlier eras. I don't really want NZ to end in the same situation as Brazil.

*This art is, of course, by janboruta
**Consider this art a placeholder should better art become available.

As to be expected, all of these things are subject to change and not necessarily final.

Comments, critiques, suggestions - all are welcome. I'm not making these civs with the expectation to ever get to play them, so let me know if something doesn't sound good in practice.

Viregel will be off his head that you're doing New Zealand. I have quite a few ideas for a Colonial New Zealand that I was trying to work around with and it was pretty solid in the end - so I'll post them here when I can. King Dick looks nice by the way (he was my pick too).

I'll try to do some leaderscreens for thee.

Viregel will be off his head that you're doing New Zealand. I have quite a few ideas for a Colonial New Zealand that I was trying to work around with and it was pretty solid in the end - so I'll post them here when I can. King Dick looks nice by the way (he was my pick too).

Woo! New Zealand! It's finally happening! :)

Thanks. I'd appreciate that.

Can't wait for the update to Hungary. Love the art, but the UA is a bit lackluster.
The Cinema's effect might need to be toned down, and I wouldn't recommend it for the UA, unless nothing better can be thought of.

On the side note, how come Normandy disappeared from the OP?

I'd prefer the Cinema to have that effect myself, so I'm glad you agree.

Perhaps you're right about the Hungarian UA; but I was hoping the UB would compensate somewhat. They are meant to be highly defensive, but that might come too much at the cost of having an active reward. I'd like to keep the Mounted unit should your cities be captured, but perhaps I'll rethink the first part.

As for Normandy, a user on Steam pointed out that when you move your Capital all of your trade routes are broken, which has the potential to put you into bankruptcy. I had never considered this, so the basic premise of the UA is sort of broken. I'm toying with a fix - wherein you have the choice to move your Capital, rather than it being automatic, but that alone isn't a sufficient UA, so I've still some pondering to do.

Hello, since yesterday's update of Norway I have the problem where it doesn't load icon atlases properly. I thought it was a conflict with newly-acquired Tiwanaku civ, but it turned out to not be the case. It looks like this: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/3423034747852204895/030AFA642C73860CA8A9FC2C3F2EDDB4A4E67C26/

Also, I'm really fascinated by your idea for Switzerland. It looks really, really good on paper. However, I'm not sure if the Hungarian Vegvar's food-carrying ability is necessary, I think the faith bonus is already pretty good in its own right. But maybe I'm wrong :)

I'll re-upload it. I don't get the same issue, but maybe I changed something without realising after uploading. Let me know if the problem is resolved.

From people's comments around the forums I get the impression that few feel compelled to build Castles. I may be layering on the incentives too thick, but I'm also trying to compensate for the UA, half of which is a very dormant bonus. I may change my mind before I release it, but if you or anyone else feels this way still after playing as Hungary then I'll be open to removing it.

Pleased to see you're doing Richard Seddon for us!

Even though I don't know the full proposal, I must say I'm a bit confused about the cinema - for one, it's not unique to NZ, and two, it's replacing the stadium, which is arguably more important in NZ culture. That said, I'm trying to think of something colonial unique to NZ and coming up blank (maybe that's because it's 2am after a night out?)

Even though I don't know the full proposal, I must say I'm a bit confused about the cinema - for one, it's not unique to NZ, and two, it's replacing the stadium, which is arguably more important in NZ culture. That said, I'm trying to think of something colonial unique to NZ and coming up blank (maybe that's because it's 2am after a night out?)

I honestly don't know much about New Zealand - no idea why I was advocating it. Here's the suggestion in the "Civilization Civs/Leaders Wanted!" thread, in case there's anything useful here:

Oceania
New Zealand
Richard Seddon or Sir Keith Holyoake
First in the World - Receive a happiness bonus whenever you are the first to complete a technology, build a wonder or discover a natural wonder. "We've traded recently" modifier provides more positive influence
Wellington
Unique Unit: Ramming Frigate, replaces Privateer. Melee unit, receives bonuses against units with a higher combat strength
Unique Building: Marae, replaces Opera House. +2 :c5food: and +3 :c5happy: Happiness

I'll do some research myself - I hope this sparks some good ideas. A colonial unique would be nice, and maybe some hint towards it being the last place in the world settled.

Pleased to see you're doing Richard Seddon for us!

Not the cinema per se, but as a way to represent that NZ has a lot of involvement in a number of high-profile films; much like the relationship between Austria and Coffee Houses. But you're right that it as a replacement to the stadium isn't the best. It's probably more thematically appropriate that it replace the Broadcast tower.

I honestly don't know much about New Zealand - no idea why I was advocating it. Here's the suggestion in the "Civilization Civs/Leaders Wanted!" thread, in case there's anything useful here:

I know little about NZ Military History. Were our Frigates particularly noted for ramming into other ships? It might explain the size of our navy now.

Not the cinema per se, but as a way to represent that NZ has a lot of involvement in a number of high-profile films; much like the relationship between Austria and Coffee Houses. But you're right that it as a replacement to the stadium isn't the best. It's probably more thematically appropriate that it replace the Broadcast tower.

Alternatives could just be a ton of LoTR references. :p

I'll re-upload it. I don't get the same issue, but maybe I changed something without realising after uploading. Let me know if the problem is resolved.

From people's comments around the forums I get the impression that few feel compelled to build Castles. I may be layering on the incentives too thick, but I'm also trying to compensate for the UA, half of which is a very dormant bonus. I may change my mind before I release it, but if you or anyone else feels this way still after playing as Hungary then I'll be open to removing it.

Thanks for updating Norway, it now works. Something might have gotten corrupt with the former update, since I redownloaded it a few times and had the same problem. It's now ok :)

My main and only gripe with the food bonus for the Vegvar is that it doesn't tie to anything else, while the faith bonus is clearly connected to the UA. Maybe I just like synergies too much. :D

New Zealand - Richard "King Dick" Seddon

UA: Land of the Long White Cloud - Natural Wonders provide :tourism: Tourism equal to their tile yield even when not worked. All Social Policies are 10% cheaper.*

UU: Māori Battalion - Gains a 25% Foreign lands combat bonus and earns promotions 50% Faster unlike the Infantry which it replaces.

UB: Te Papa Tongarewa - Replaces Hermitage. +5 :c5culture: Culture, :c5culture: Culture output of this City increased by 50%, 3 Slots for :greatwork: Great Works of Art. +1 :c5culture: Culture for every Citizen in this City. No building pre-requirement.

Spoiler :
(Baringer Crater provides +2 :c5gold: Gold and +3 :c5science: Science - The UA would provide +5 :tourism: Tourism. One with nature Pantheon would provide you with +4 extra :c5faith: Faith and +4 :tourism: Tourism)

UA: Land of the Long White Cloud - Natural Wonders provide :tourism: Tourism equal to their tile yield even when not worked. All Social Policies are 10% cheaper.*

UU: Māori Battalion - Gains a 25% Foreign lands combat bonus and earns promotions 50% Faster unlike the Infantry which it replaces.

UB: Te Papa Tongarewa - Replaces Hermitage. +5 :c5culture: Culture, :c5culture: Culture output of this City increased by 50%, 3 Slots for :greatwork: Great Works of Art. +1 :c5culture: Culture for every Citizen in this City. No building pre-requirement.

Spoiler :
(Baringer Crater provides +2 :c5gold: Gold and +3 :c5science: Science - The UA would provide +5 :tourism: Tourism. One with nature Pantheon would provide you with +4 extra :c5faith: Faith and +4 :tourism: Tourism)

I like this, although I have a slight problem with the UU's name, as JFD has already made a Māori mod. However, Māori names should be fine for everything else, so the UA could be "Aotearoa" instead. There could possibly be some ANZAC references, or perhaps navy, but I couldn't find much that New Zealand has that Australia doesn't. "Kiwi" may be a good name for a UU, but the meaning has been extended since WWI to refer to any New Zealander, so I really don't know.

I prefer the original name, seeing as putting the country name (Aotearoa = New Zealand. for those of you who don't know) as the UA name just doesn't seem right.

This was the plan for my Colonial New Zealand mod if I were to include it in my Colonialist Legacies pack.

The Maori Battalion was a real infantry battalion and was subsequently the most decorated battalion New Zealand had ever seen.

"The battalion fought during the Greek, North African and Italian campaigns during which it earned a formidable reputation as a fighting force which has subsequently been acknowledged by both Allied and German commanders"

Mind you most of what I know about the Maori Battalion came from the movie "Boy".

Top Bottom