Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Morse Trading sounded great, but we've had issues with custom buttons in the past and getting the Unaaq to work was positively painful. We could ask Leugi again, but I think he's busy enough as it is. I'm excluding it logistically, but if it's demanded I'm more than happy to revive it.

Regarding Polar Areas, I mean we say "Polar Areas", but really we mean Tundra. Snow is there because it'd feel awkward that Walrus wouldn't reveal itself there and it'd feel a bit sad without a nod to Snow (what with being Greenland and so forth).

It's only really the initial Capital of Greenland that I wanted to emulate anyway, seeing as a potential "Vinland" could really be any climate.

Ah fair enough, only suggested it as I thought it would be a more active way of playing but it's still great as exploration/trade civ.

About the polar tiles, Kuserab has the right of it I think. Even 2-3 tundra cities will provide sufficient norse flavoring.

A great write-up also Kuse, though it excludes the "food from sending trade routes" aspect included in TP's write-ups if that is to remain part of the UA. Maybe this should only apply to polar cities as an added incentive for settling in tundra regions?

EDIT: you are right Kuserab, I was reading the older post by TPangolin. Sorry for the confusion!

Yeah, I wasn't entirely clear if the food bit was still in, so I left it out for that pass - especially considering it was the other two Uniques that really needed the rewording. I was going based off of TPangolin's most recent post of the civ's abilities and uniques.

How's this?

Greenland
Erik Thorvaldsson
Start Bias: Tundra
A Favorable Name: After Trapping, Coastal Cities founded in Tundra or Snow reveal a roaming Walrus bonus resource. Naval units receive double :c5moves: Movement along Trade Routes.
Gjálfrmarr: Replacing the Trireme, the Gjálfrmarr gains the "Steed of the Sea" promotion, allowing it to enter Ocean tiles adjacent to Ice before Astronomy. Civilians stacked with a Gjálfrmarr also gain this ability, alongside the movement points of the Gjálfrmarr. It additionally has +1 Sight, rivalling the Caravel.
Mead Hall: Alongside the Happiness benefits of the Circus, the Mead Hall does not require any nearby sources of Ivory or Horses. Additionally, when a Walrus Bonus Resource is being worked, Naval Trade Route length is increased by 15% and upon the foundation of a City upon another continent, the city enters a 5 Turn "We Love the King Day".

Just for clarification, if a city is taking advantage of the 15% increased Trade Route length and the Walrus resource "roams" somewhere else, do the Trade Routes originating from that city immediately cancel or does the 15% bonus expire after the 30 turns are up (the route's length is "grandfathered in" so to speak)?

It'd expire afterwards.

Updated the leaderscreen :D

The new draft looks really solid, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I also foresee myself often cursing the fickle heart of the roaming walrus. ("Come back! My trade infrastructure is walrus-reliant!")

(There! I've made a contribution to this board that isn't a quibble. Progress!)

Mead Hall: Alongside the Happiness benefits of the Circus, the Mead Hall does not require any nearby sources of Ivory or Horses. Additionally, when a Walrus Bonus Resource is being worked, Naval Trade Route length is increased by 15% and upon the foundation of a City upon another continent, the city enters a 5 Turn "We Love the King Day".

Mead Hall: Unlike the Circus, the Mead Hall does not require any nearby sources of Ivory or Horses, and grants a 5 Turn "We Love the King Day" upon the foundation of a City upon another continent. Additionally, when a Walrus Bonus Resource is being worked, Naval Trade Route length is increased by 15%.

Would the WLTKD require Walrus to trigger in addition to the new settlement?

Please, please enlarge this and have the leader-screen turn into it when you declare war on Greenland:-

Spoiler :

Fixed :)

A part of me is almost disappointed that Erik has a huge beach behind him and there isn't a Walrus in sight. :lol:

No, that's Erik.

"Greetings! I am Erik Thorvaldsson. I would offer a more proper greeting but, as you can undoubtably see, there is one of the enormous Greenland Walruses on that island behind me. It may look like we are at a safe distance from it, but they move extremely quickly when provoked, and have been known to tear men limb from limb. Fortunately, they can apparently only see movement, so as long as we stand perfectly still, we shall be safe until it chooses to move on in search of other prey.

So... um... welcome to Greenland!"

Updated the leaderscreen :D

What's that object below his bare right hand? Is that a building? If so, that's one ginormous Walrus!

Y'all keep it up and there will be no walruses in the final screen.

Top Bottom