Another WW2 scenario

Select map for mod.
Before checking senario, select leaders.
Scroll down a bit.
Exit and check senario.

When you select leaders again, scroll bar should be available.

Reporting my test,
played as Germany, conquered France in Europe by Turn 10 which was normal, still her African Colonies and South American ones too. Took one of the city states near greece. The whole time Every civ, including Japan and Italy denounced me, and everyone was denouncing everyone. Then around turn 10 Russia declared war on me and the scandinavian city states. Russia took poland but was quickly recaptured by my panzers and infantry. Russia was very easily beaten due to there lack of Anti-Air, 2 cossacks, 2 infantrys, and kyushka where obliterated by my bombers. By the time i got warsaw back, france offered a me a peace treaty for all her african colonies which was odd... then everyone was offering peace treaties... England, US, Greece, Saudi Arabia, all with something to offer, like 26 oil from arabia and 26 more from france... super odd. then around turn 12 I finished oxford university and got lazers and could build modern armors and jet fighters, I know you suggested getting a mod that slows techs but i still got lazers from oxford which made the game feel stupid... I mean I had modern tanks and jet fighters by the end of Frances conquest which was around 1940 real time

I think to really have a succesful ww2 mod we need to have a mod not a scenario, vanilla civ V is not compatible with a WW2 scenario, to few techs and to few units. I mean we are missing Self propelled guns, Assault guns, Tank destroyers (like Jadgpanthers and fireflys...ect), infantry halftracks, Special forces (Waffen SS, British Special forces...ect), Heavy Tanks (Panthers, King Tigers, Churchills...ect), tactical bombers... I mean in vanilla civ v we have fighters, tanks, artillery, infantry , and anti tank.... thats it, there was so much more in WW2 that that! Ive looked at the unit graphics and there are a lot of WW2 units that are ready to be modded, they have Tanks, infantry, fighters, and battleships that are WW2 specific so maybe someone could make that a mod to make an infective WW2 feel.Talking to George washington and Elizabeth also detracts from the WW2 feeling, isnt there a way you could add pictures instead of the default animations?

I know its not going to be easy but to be completely honest, WW2 is not going to be a fun scenario till we get a mod for it....

Reporting my test,
played as Germany, conquered France in Europe by Turn 10 which was normal, still her African Colonies and South American ones too. Took one of the city states near greece. The whole time Every civ, including Japan and Italy denounced me, and everyone was denouncing everyone. Then around turn 10 Russia declared war on me and the scandinavian city states. Russia took poland but was quickly recaptured by my panzers and infantry. Russia was very easily beaten due to there lack of Anti-Air, 2 cossacks, 2 infantrys, and kyushka where obliterated by my bombers. By the time i got warsaw back, france offered a me a peace treaty for all her african colonies which was odd... then everyone was offering peace treaties... England, US, Greece, Saudi Arabia, all with something to offer, like 26 oil from arabia and 26 more from france... super odd. then around turn 12 I finished oxford university and got lazers and could build modern armors and jet fighters, I know you suggested getting a mod that slows techs but i still got lazers from oxford which made the game feel stupid... I mean I had modern tanks and jet fighters by the end of Frances conquest which was around 1940 real time

I think to really have a succesful ww2 mod we need to have a mod not a scenario, vanilla civ V is not compatible with a WW2 scenario, to few techs and to few units. I mean we are missing Self propelled guns, Assault guns, Tank destroyers (like Jadgpanthers and fireflys...ect), infantry halftracks, Special forces (Waffen SS, British Special forces...ect), Heavy Tanks (Panthers, King Tigers, Churchills...ect), tactical bombers... I mean in vanilla civ v we have fighters, tanks, artillery, infantry , and anti tank.... thats it, there was so much more in WW2 that that! Ive looked at the unit graphics and there are a lot of WW2 units that are ready to be modded, they have Tanks, infantry, fighters, and battleships that are WW2 specific so maybe someone could make that a mod to make an infective WW2 feel.Talking to George washington and Elizabeth also detracts from the WW2 feeling, isnt there a way you could add pictures instead of the default animations?

I know its not going to be easy but to be completely honest, WW2 is not going to be a fun scenario till we get a mod for it....

This would be a pretty tall order, and 1 more suitably left to someone with a better understanding of the game's modding programs than myself.
I would certainly like to see the same sort of thing done. But considering the time it would take to put all that together with my limited experience in modding, I doubt I would be able to do it. Too many other obligations is what it comes down to.

As far as your game description, I have seen the same thing myself play out in this scenario as Germany. The AI's inefficiency at warfare was the reason I gave Germany such a large/powerful force. Without that sort of advantage an AI controlled Germany will 1st have too much trouble invading France, and then following end up getting steam rolled by USSR if war is declared. Even so, you do make a good point about giving USSR better anti-air defense. That should be an easy to change too :)

Your complaint about the tech has an easy, if potentially heavy handed, fix with the latest patch. World builder lets you turn off all tech progress now, so that is something that can be added in. Since it would change the game so dramatically though, I'll probably post it as an alternate scenario version & it would have to include many other changes to account for there no longer being any tech progress.

Fortunately the peace treaty issues can be fixed now with the latest Firaxis patch, so I will see about posting an updated version on here later today or sometime this week. The potential changes are:
-Permanent war for Axis/Allies
-CW of Aust. replacing GB in Indonesia.
-Boost USSR anti-aircraft
also:
-Turning off tech progress for an alternate scenario version

Thanks for the feedback!

Also to address any future problems on the map not showing up in game:

The actual map file, "WW2ver2", needs to be placed in your civ5 "Maps" folder. As a default for me this is located via this folder line, "C:\Users\[PCOwner]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5". In the same location is the "MODS" folder where the full extracted folder, "WW2fullEarth with U-Boats mod", can be placed in.

Following those instructions should make the map show up.

Good job. Feel free to steal my xml files(there are only two). One fixes the date to twelve turns a year, the other keeps modern, unbalancing techs from being researched. I'd be happy to help if you have any questions with the modding. I created my WWII scenario from the US vs World scenario I created first, and once you have many hours invested(I created that map from scratch) it's hard to make major changes to the map without starting from scratch again. If only Firaxis had given us a tool to select and drag portions of the map making these scenarios would be 10 times easier. As it is to shrink Africa, enlarge Europe, you would have to redo half the work, instead of just clicking a few times, like it should be. Keep up the good work. There has never been a satisfactory WWII scenario in Civ games, but we're just the guys for the job.

Drloomis, try finding the map in the mod folder, and copy pasting it to the maps folder in civ 5. Modbuddy is very confusing and it took me dozens of tries before I figured out how to get the map to show up, this is the backdoor way.

Thanks, I will take a look at how they would work with the scenario. Maybe that is a better option than turning off tech progress altogether. I have to agree with you on the world builder being very cumbersome when it comes to changes like that too.

Sorry about the long gap of no responses on here also. I finally have enough free time to look at this stuff again.

cool scenario. very ambitious. I started as the Germans and was quickly overwhelmed by there being too much to do. Started over again as the Chinese. I was able to stop the Japs from taking a single city in mainland Asia... repelled them from Korea, Hong Kong, IndoChina and Manchuria without too much trouble. If I continue the scenario I'll start building up my navy to start the counter attack and invade the Japanese mainland which I imagine will be much easier than it should be.

I would recommend the scenario to anyone who would like to play through a game starting on a map similar to how the world was c. 1939 or whenever this is supposed to start. My ultimate goal will be to develop China into the superpower that they will be in real life within a few decades, probably much sooner. I think they start out far more powerful than they actually were in real life.

I would not recommend this scenario to anyone looking for an accurate WW2 scenario. Events will not play out in a way that will satisfy anybody that matches this description.

For example... in my game... in addition to China being able to easily repel the Japanese on their own... Russia and the USA never get into the war on the Allies' side. France was conquered but they actually put up a fight. Spain declared war on France when it was obvious they were losing. After Germany and Italy had taken some territory each, they both attempted to make peace with almost everyone including myself, the Chinese. Siam declared war on me for no apparent reason at all. and... by far the biggest "wtf"... around turn 9 Russia declared war on England.

other points:

I think Russia is probably going to turn into an unstoppable behemoth. They are huuuge. I noticed their land is undeveloped but they have so many cities. They have almost twice as many points as anyone else. I'd have to play as them I guess to see if it was even close to realistic.

In my game, everyone and their cat has already denounced the USA and they haven't done anything. While definitely true to real life, the world didn't start hating Americans for no good reason until after WW2, I think.

Are U-boats supposed to be able to bombard targets on land?

Maybe one way to make the scenario closer to a real WW2 scenario and not just a period scenario would be to set it in 1942 instead of 1939. This way...

The United States and Russia will be in the war on the Allies' side.
You won't have the unrealistic aspect of having to defeat the French as the Germans, as they will have already surrendered.
AI-controlled Japan won't have to clumsily try and manage a land invasion of mainland Asia, they'll already have it.
Is there a way to make this "always war?" Just like in Civ IV... ?

Many WW2 games start at the end of 1941/beginning of 1942 for this reason... it really feels more like a world war at that point... instead of just Germany vs. the RAF and the unrelated expansion of Japanese empire in Asia. Which is exactly how it ends up in this scenario since Russia and the US don't get involved (or they get involved on the wrong side!!) :D

Anyway, thanks for the effort on the mod. :) You worked harder on this than I ever would. Cheers.

Other strange development in my own game just a few short turns later:

Russia declared war on me (China) forcing me to scrap plans to attack Japan and make peace with them, and turn my attention to my northern border.
Russia made peace with England on the same turn (very short war! Maybe it was just a ruse to lure the Chinese into a false sense of security! :D)

The USA finally got in on the action. How exactly? Well... a joint military operation with Nazi Germany against Iran, of course. haha...

Anyway.. yes... definitely don't look to this scenario for historical accuracy beyond turn 2. still having fun, though.

More amusing developments. Turn 20. China has started winning territory from the Soviets. Hitler offered a declaration of friendship, which I accepted. Mussolini then promptly warned me not to get too close to the 3rd Reich. :-D

My friendship with Hitler worried many other world leaders as well, but then FDR also offered to be my friend. Maybe because the US and Germany are on the same side of the war against Persia. Very bizarre alternate history being written here...

Many more turns in... still having fun with it but have to call it a night now.

My "friends" Germany and the USA finally got off their laurels and joined me in attacking Russia. The US didn't really do anything but Germany was rapidly carving out big chunks of eastern Europe and I was worried that Russia would surrender to the Germans before I had a chance to do any real damage. However... in this instance history bore out and for some reason the Germans stopped short of taking Moscow or Stalingrad. I fortified the western front and marched almost the full force of my army toward Kazakhstan and the Ukraine, determined to make it to Moscow before Hitler did.

Also around this time, a coalition of allies finally got the balls to try and stop the Nazis. But in this alternate reality, it was not the superpowers of the UK, USA, and Soviet Union... nah... this time around it was Mongolia, India, Spain, Canada, and Siam. ;-D I'm sure the stormtroopers are quaking in their big leather boots... Each of these leaders came to me asking if I was interested in starting a war with Germany and I turned them all down.

Now I'm getting really close to Stalingrad.. cutting a big swath of mayhem through central Asia eating up all of the Soviets' southernmost cities.. and I guess since the AI loves to kick a dog when it's down pretty much the entire world all declared war on Catherine and piled on. So my need to get to Moscow became even more pressing.

Also around this time I had enough gold to steal away Brazil from the USA (hell of a city state ally, you got there, US). I was pleased to see that without any help at all (and it wasn't even a war I was involved in) my Brazilian allies were able to take over a neighboring city. I had only seen that happen in a game once before (a city-state conquering another city) and I had to give a lot of artillery and air support that time.

Anyway... plunging forward... by the time I'm at the doorstep of Stalingrad... a giant coalition of the willing has already declared war on Germany. The Germans made peace with the Russians. At some point they also lost their southern Egyptian cities to the British (not sure when that happened) but they still own Alexandria and Cairo is still independent. When people kept bugging me to declare war on Germany I finally told them okay, give me 10 turns. But as soon as I secure Moscow (just took the city the turn before I saved)... then I'm planning to turn around and stab Hitler in the back (I'm his only remaining friend in the world at this point- but he's the single biggest threat left to me)

After taking Moscow I talked to Catherine/Stalin and she/he was ready to surrender the entire Soviet empire to me. I would have taken it if this scenario allowed you to raze cities... but under the circumstances I did not since I didn't feel like having -1000 happiness. I would have taken Leningrad/St Petersburg if it had let me, but that was the city that became the capital after I took Moscow and was therefore the only one not offered. So I let them keep all their cities except the ones I had already conquered of course.

I was thinking it might be wise to go for a space race victory until I looked at the victory progress and realized that domination is the only option. d'oh. oh well, that works just as well. Just have to be careful not to take over too many useless cities since you can't raze them all. I'll try to manipulate the AI into conquering as many capital cities as possible without me... and then just take out the leftovers myself.

I think Russia is probably going to turn into an unstoppable behemoth. They are huuuge.

Turns out they were a total paper tiger... got their butts kicked both by the Nazis and me, the lowly Chinese... of course the Chinese had a brilliant heretofore unknown general commanding their armies... but still... :crazyeye:

oh well at least that's realistic, maybe with enough time they could turn into the super power they actually did become. Though I noticed... even with the AI's crazy happiness bonuses... the Russians were still "very unhappy." This is one reason why their army was so easy to beat. They always had the -33% penalty for being depressed. No doubt because they just have way too many cities. Don't know how you could fix it though unless you just left more empty space between Soviet cities. but living in Russia is fairly depressing, so it makes sense as is, too.

Yep, without the ability to script events like, "X Civ declares war on Y Civ at onset of turn Z", the historical accuracy really falls apart fast. I initially went into using the world builder assuming this was possible, but unfortunately it is not. Perhaps there is a way to construct a scenario mod for it, but that is currently beyond me.
I wouldn't be able to change the time table for the scenario to 1942 without doing a major overhaul of some of the larger pre-made cities, so that is probably not going to happen anytime soon. Although, I can definitely see your point on how it might make the game more fun. Too bad I didn't realize it back in March.

I have made these changes:
-fixed the peace treaty issues
-Brazil in place of Mongolia
-fixed the area around Australia
-provided USSR & Greece with additional starting anti-aircraft
-gave USSR more happiness structures to begin with

I also removed the initial war between The Kingdom of Iraq & GB, as this wasn't serving a good purpose, plus wasn't historically accurate either.

Just have to test out the first few turns as Russia/Brazil to make sure they're ok, and I will likely post the update sometime tomorrow.

I agree Brazil is a better choice than Mongolia... also the "North African Alliance".. there were some other ideas I had about starting civs/city states.... but I've had a really long day and I don't even remember anymore.

I'm still playing through my game as the Chinese. I've taken over pretty much all of mainland Europe from the Germans (who are down to two cities now: Athens and Alexandria), the Italians (who are only in Africa), and the Spanish (who had actually become pretty powerful). My next target will probably be London. I don't have a navy anywhere near on par with the British navy but I think I have enough air power and artillery that can fire across the channel that it won't matter.

A couple turns ago a list of "civs with the pointiest sticks came out"... apparently the reason why the USA has not been doing anything the whole game is because they've been stockpiling a mountain of arms in a huge way. I am currently a dominant world power with an empire that stretches from Morocco to Kamchatka. I steamrolled over Stalin, Hitler, and Mussolini with little difficulty. My military score is around 15,000.

The US currently has a score of 133,000+. yikes. Time to build some nukes.

Nice to see the Americans taking their place as preimminent military superpower, though. They must also be an economic heavyweight if they are able to support that many units. Gives me at least one more challenge left to look forward to in my current game, though the Japanese have also been busy rebuilding a lot and they're right off my coast... I'll need to deal with them before I tackle North America.

The update is posted in the opening post for this thread & is currently under review for the downloads section as well. I forgot to change the version number indicated, but rest assured that it is a brand new file.

I'm glad you mentioned the North African Union Ghandi Khan, as that reminded me to get rid of it. It made room for Argentina. With the addition of Argentina, Brazil, and breaking up the massive city-state in western SA, South America is much more of an interesting part of the scenario than it was before.

I reduced the turn limit substantially (150), as I came to realize that 250 turns is not a realistic game length for this scenario. The game is usually decided in the range of turn 50-100 depending on who the player is controlling. Domination is really only an option if you play as the USSR, so it was almost impossible to actually complete a game with any other civ as it was.

I played through 10 turns as Argentina, and was pretty pleased with the outcome. Notables were:
-Brazil declared war on me on turn 3
-Japan conquered Manchura & Shanghai by turn 5
-Germany conquered France, Poland, and Sweden(who got suckered into the war by France) by turn 7.

Other than getting a 1-sided peace agreement from Brazil AI due to its ineptitude at warfare, nothing else came about from the war.

Thanks again to everyone for the helpful feedback :).

I'm on turn 82 as the Chinese. I could definitely win a domination victory before turn 150... except... I now have a huge problem as I cannot declare war on many different civilizations. I don't know why. I just got about 10,000 gold from the British for traded resources (intending to declare war the same turn; cancel the agreements and keep the gold)... and then I used Britain's gold to make allies of 8 new city states... after I did that... the option to declare war on Britain, Australia, and many other civs is now unavailable. I don't know what to do. I searched for other people having this problem and in the thread I found it suggested using nukes to start a war. I bought a nuke with some money from the USA and Mexico.. but then it wouldn't let me use it against the British. so frustrated now... :p

The update is now downloadable directly from the Firaxis database as well, if that is preferred by anyone. I'm pretty sure the map file will still need to be manually moved to the "Maps" folder though.

I'm on turn 82 as the Chinese. I could definitely win a domination victory before turn 150... except... I now have a huge problem as I cannot declare war on many different civilizations. I don't know why. I just got about 10,000 gold from the British for traded resources (intending to declare war the same turn; cancel the agreements and keep the gold)... and then I used Britain's gold to make allies of 8 new city states... after I did that... the option to declare war on Britain, Australia, and many other civs is now unavailable. I don't know what to do. I searched for other people having this problem and in the thread I found it suggested using nukes to start a war. I bought a nuke with some money from the USA and Mexico.. but then it wouldn't let me use it against the British. so frustrated now... :p

Yep, sorry about that. Part of the scenario is that certain civs are permanently at peace with certain other civs. China is part of the Allies as far as the scenario is concerned, and therefore is stuck with the ability to only achieve a time victory. This is why I mentioned USSR is really the only Civ capable of getting a domination win. The version you're playing has a turn limit of 250 too (which seems so absurd now), so the game will keep going and probably become very dull long before a time victory can be gotten.

Perhaps I should provide a list of who is who:
Allies: GB, France, USA, Egypt, China, Saudi Arabia, Greece, India, Australia, Canada, Brazil. Of those civs, USA is not involved in permanent war.

Axis: Germany, Italy, Japan, Iraq, Thailand, Argentina. Of those, Iraq & Argentina are not involved in permanent war, while Thailand is only at war with India.

So, any civ listed above is going to be handcuffed from being able to achieve a domination victory. This keeps things like Mussolini declaring war on Hitler, or FDR joining the war on the side of the Axis from happening and completely ruining any historical value the scenario holds past the get go.

Yep, sorry about that. Part of the scenario is that certain civs are permanently at peace with certain other civs. China is part of the Allies as far as the scenario is concerned, and therefore is stuck with the ability to only achieve a time victory. This is why I mentioned USSR is really the only Civ capable of getting a domination win. The version you're playing has a turn limit of 250 too (which seems so absurd now), so the game will keep going and probably become very dull long before a time victory can be gotten.

Perhaps I should provide a list of who is who:
Allies: GB, France, USA, Egypt, China, Saudi Arabia, Greece, India, Australia, Canada, Brazil. Of those civs, USA is not involved in permanent war.

Axis: Germany, Italy, Japan, Iraq, Thailand, Argentina. Of those, Iraq & Argentina are not involved in permanent war, while Thailand is only at war with India.

So, any civ listed above is going to be handcuffed from being able to achieve a domination victory. This keeps things like Mussolini declaring war on Hitler, or FDR joining the war on the side of the Axis from happening and completely ruining any historical value the scenario holds past the get go.

oh.. well... crap.... I'm not going to keep playing the game until turn 250 just so I can win on time. I misunderstood what you meant when you said only the Russians could win domination, I thought you meant because they started so big and had less land to take over. I guess it was just purely by chance that I never tried to declare war on an "Ally" country... so I only found out about this now. :(

If you wanted to keep it this way... then why is Russia not one of the allies? China and Arabia are permanently on the Allies side, but Russia isn't? That doesn't make much sense at all.

I would do one or some of the following if this was my scenario:

1. to make it a better "WW2" scenario, set the starting point to 1942 instead of 1939 like I suggested before. That means Russia is at war with Germany and Italy (but not yet with Japan- that happened in 1945); the USA is at war with Germany, Italy, and Japan; the Germans have already taken over France and Poland (maybe Vichy France could be made a city state and Warsaw could be a city under German occupation); and Japan already has a foothold on the Asian mainland and destroyed much of the American naval presence in the Pacific (apart from their aircraft carriers).
If you do this... you could take away the permanent peace thing... the world is already at war as it should be at the start of the game and then WW2 has 7-10 turns to play out.. after that things will happen as they do.

2. If that's too much work, then just make it a "1939" scenario and not a "WW2" scenario. Take away all the Axis and Allies permanent peace nonsense.. and anybody can play this scenario as an alternate reality starting in 1939. Similar to the classic Civ IV "1000 AD" scenario... I loved playing that scenario.. but I was never trying to go for historical accuracy. For example I found one of the best ways to win as the Arabs was to convert to Christianity and make peace with the Europeans as soon as possible.

3. If you don't want to let go of the small claim to historical accuracy this scenario has... okay... leave it as is (maybe reduce the turn limit to 100 turns instead of 150)... but AT LEAST make the Russians one of the Allies. That was the one huge event that happened early on in my game that sent me on a very different historical path... when Russia declared war on me (China). But personally I think option 1 or 2 is a better overall choice for maximum replayability.

It makes me sad :( I can't finish the scenario. I was still having quite a bit of fun... but the only thing I had left to look forward to was taking out the British and the Americans. but I can't do that, even though I played long past when the events of WW2 were relevant. :cry:

Is there something in the XML files I can alter on my own computer to make it possible for me to declare war on everybody?

Or better yet, is there some way to edit them so that the permanent peace expires within the scenario after 20-50 turns? That would make sense and still make the scenario playable for civs other than Russia.

oh.. well... crap.... I'm not going to keep playing the game until turn 250 just so I can win on time. I misunderstood what you meant when you said only the Russians could win domination, I thought you meant because they started so big and had less land to take over. I guess it was just purely by chance that I never tried to declare war on an "Ally" country... so I only found out about this now. :(

If you wanted to keep it this way... then why is Russia not one of the allies? China and Arabia are permanently on the Allies side, but Russia isn't? That doesn't make much sense at all.

I would do one or some of the following if this was my scenario:

1. to make it a better "WW2" scenario, set the starting point to 1942 instead of 1939 like I suggested before. That means Russia is at war with Germany and Italy (but not yet with Japan- that happened in 1945); the USA is at war with Germany, Italy, and Japan; the Germans have already taken over France and Poland (maybe Vichy France could be made a city state and Warsaw could be a city under German occupation); and Japan already has a foothold on the Asian mainland and destroyed much of the American naval presence in the Pacific (apart from their aircraft carriers).
If you do this... you could take away the permanent peace thing... the world is already at war as it should be at the start of the game and then WW2 has 7-10 turns to play out.. after that things will happen as they do.

2. If that's too much work, then just make it a "1939" scenario and not a "WW2" scenario. Take away all the Axis and Allies permanent peace nonsense.. and anybody can play this scenario as an alternate reality starting in 1939. Similar to the classic Civ IV "1000 AD" scenario... I loved playing that scenario.. but I was never trying to go for historical accuracy. For example I found one of the best ways to win as the Arabs was to convert to Christianity and make peace with the Europeans as soon as possible.

3. If you don't want to let go of the small claim to historical accuracy this scenario has... okay... leave it as is (maybe reduce the turn limit to 100 turns instead of 150)... but AT LEAST make the Russians one of the Allies. That was the one huge event that happened early on in my game that sent me on a very different historical path... when Russia declared war on me (China). But personally I think option 1 or 2 is a better overall choice for maximum replayability.

It makes me sad :( I can't finish the scenario. I was still having quite a bit of fun... but the only thing I had left to look forward to was taking out the British and the Americans. but I can't do that, even though I played long past when the events of WW2 were relevant. :cry:

Have you tried using the live tuner? IIRC you can force declare war using it, though I could be wrong about that. It's worth a check if you're really wanting to go to town on the remaining challenges in your current game. If you've never used the tuner just google it "firetuner Runtime Lua Console", and read up on how to activate it for use. After you've got it up and running it's pretty user friendly to figure out.

As far as the Soviet Union not being part of the Allies in this scenario, I did this based on my current knowledge of World War 2 history & also some considerations for the scenario. I'm certainly no historian, but I've always had an interest in the war and have taken a course focused on it as well.

Hitler & Stalin initially had a non-aggression agreement at the invasion of Poland (that Hitler would eventually go against), so that they could divide it up. I had previously made it so that Russia starts out at war with Warsaw, but the world builder messed this up somehow so I ended up just scrapping it.
The west generally didn't trust the USSR and Stalin was supremely paranoid to the point that he probably distrusted the west even more than they did him. Many westerners actually considered Hitler to be a bulwark against the spread of Sovietism prior to Hitler going off the deep end with his aggression in Europe.
Most historians agree that Hitler declaring war on the Soviet Union (along with the United States) was one of his biggest blunders of the war. Since there is no way to script events like this I thought it would be nice to allow German civ players the option to try to play defensively against Russia, and focus more on taking Great Britain & the middle East before any potential Barbarossa campaign. Regardless, a war between even AI controlled USSR & Germany almost always seems to occur due simply to their proximity after Warsaw is captured.

China and the USSR are not equivalent in their relation to the Allies in WW2. The USSR was far more powerful, and did not rely on any western power for aid and defense against Japan. In fact the Soviet Union successfully beat back an offensive from the Japanese by itself in the Mongolian conflict leading up to the war in the late 1930s. China on the other hand, was heavily reliant on foreign policy from the west to prevent Japan from exploiting it.

Also, Stalin and FDR are certainly not equivalent in their relation to their joining the Allies in WW2, so I think the distinction between their civs in the scenario is ok.

On Arabia, I'm not very clear. I thought it was under heavy influence from GB leading up to the war and had little to no axis leanings, so it seemed to make sense that they were a standard ally.

The consideration for the scenario is to sort of keep Germany from getting squashed too early in the game. If the USSR is an ally like the US, then it will almost undoubtedly declare war on Germany around turn 10 or so when it had lost a lot of units from fighting in Europe. With the ability to war with anyone it wants, it tends to do stuff like invade Iran or Turkey instead. Neither of which is historically correct, but it makes the game more interesting in my opinion then the Nazis getting wiped out 15 or so turns into the game.

The other reason for the game's current setup and probably the reason for your game going on a strange tangent are explained in the opening post. The AI views civs that are conquering other civs as aggressive or "warmongering" regardless of who is an Ally or part of the Axis. That's why I made Manchuria owned by China in the early game, and also why I have seemingly pointless events like Warsaw/Seoul starting the game as free city-states. Otherwise the game would see China as the aggressive warmonger if it began to take back a Manchuria that Japan started off controlling.

As is, civs like Japan & Germany (possibly Italy too) are consistently seen as warmongering aggressors by the other AI controlled civs. This is a good thing.

Top Bottom