Loyal PC gamers finally kicked in teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doom 3 simulates all the fun of a power outage.

Console players aren't necessarily 13 years old, or morons. Console games typically have different priorities to computer ones. The best console games have exquisitely honed, balanced and tested gameplay straight out of the box. Probably this is because console developers haven't, traditionally, had the luxury of being able to release a whole bunch of patches and expansions after the game hits the shelves. Of course that could be changing now with downloadable content on the consoles.
Games on computer have the typical advantage of being modable (maybe this characteristic actually encourages some developers to be lazy - they figure they can leave the fans to fix niggly gameplay flaws, balance issues, etc). And of course a computer is ideal for online multiplayer games.
Also, computer gamers always own a mouse and keyboard, but often they don't own a joypad. A console with a mouse and keyboard plugged into it is a rare sight indeed. Developers can only afford to develop for the hardware they know to be out there. Simple facts which have a huge impact on the kind of games that appear.

PC vs Consoles. The battle will rage on but the truth is the two are coming closer together all the time. I've been a PC games for, well forever. I'm only a recent convert to consoles thanks to my kids. And while most of my gaming is still PC it is possible to play both and enjoy both. Wii, PS2, PS3 and two PC's what could be better than variety. I'm looking for a good used 360 now and then there's nothing out there I can't play. I'm looking forward to Revolutions as a worthy addition to the Civ family.::D

QFT: I'd be willing to go a bit further and say that the lines have already merged... After all, with the advent of the XBox, you have a console with a hard drive, USB ports and Aethernet connectors. I've even known people who installed Linux on XBoxes, added USB keyboards and mice, thereby effectively converting them into PCs (I've had a plan on my "Muahahahahaha!" list for a while that involved buying about 4-6 used XBoxes, installing Linux and the Beowulf operating parameters and linking them up to have a sub $1000 super computer).

Personally, as a general rule of thumb my preferences depend on what game type I'm playing:

FPS, RTS, Empire builders: Definitely PC... ESPECIALLY with the FPS games.. I just can't hit the broadside of a barn with those damn console controllers! Case in point: Halo... XBox version I got pwned by everybody and their second cousin because I couldn't get a handle on those goofy XBox controllers. PC version, I'm sniping people halfways accross the map with the plasma rifle :lol: The reason? I could set up my keyboard and mouse to the same configuration that I use for Half-Life, Counter-Strike, UT, etc.

Fighting games & RPGs: Generally preferr the consoles, mainly because there's more available for consoles, but I also prefer console controller's for such games.

The funny thing is, I also have some incidences where things kind of get crossed-up... I.e. I own Street Fighter Alpha II and Battle Arena Toshinden for the PC, as well as the PC versions of Final Fantasy VII and VIII (which makes getting reference pics for the FF mod really easy).

Okay I have StarCraft and Morrowind now.

@Thrallia: Somewhere I read that DOOM 3 was delayed by a full year. It was nominated for Most Disappointing Delay at Gamespot in 2003, then the next year it was nominated for Most Disappointing Game (and what do know, those spooks also nominated Halo 2 for that position!).

So, you got to work on Grand Theft Auto IV?!!!

No, I work at the studio in Vancouver, BC. It's the studio that created Bully in 2006, although I only started at Rockstar in January of this year so I wasn't involved with that. Our current game has yet to be announced.

And add Morrowind to that list. Oblivion is too violent for me.

Well people I guess have their own opinions. I mean one of my friends loves open-world RPGs but he hates KotOR (partly because he doesn't like Star Wars).

I like open-world RPGs, but I never really liked any of the Elder Scrolls games -- I haven't played Oblivion yet, but I played Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind enough to know that I didn't like them. My main issue with all of those games is that the worlds are too big and too open. You can't take a world of that size and embellish it with all of the details that give it personality (well you *could* if you had 15 years to spend working on the game). The worlds and characters feel bland and repetitive. Ultima VII was a good balance, in my opinion. There were only 250-300 NPCs in the entire world, and even the largest "city" only had about 30 buildings, but it felt big enough. But each of those NPCs had a unique portrait and unique dialogue. And the locations had little touches to give them some personality (given that it was done in 1992, with 320x200 256-color VGA graphics).

For me, when a game stops being fun and starts to feel more like a part-time job, I know that I'm done with it (sometimes I know that right from the start).

well, I can't speak for oblivion (not old enough) but morrowind is SUPER great.......I can spend all day just playing it and taking breaks between Civ and TW........

I like open-world RPGs, but I never really liked any of the Elder Scrolls games -- I haven't played Oblivion yet, but I played Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind enough to know that I didn't like them. My main issue with all of those games is that the worlds are too big and too open. You can't take a world of that size and embellish it with all of the details that give it personality (well you *could* if you had 15 years to spend working on the game). The worlds and characters feel bland and repetitive. Ultima VII was a good balance, in my opinion. There were only 250-300 NPCs in the entire world, and even the largest "city" only had about 30 buildings, but it felt big enough. But each of those NPCs had a unique portrait and unique dialogue. And the locations had little touches to give them some personality (given that it was done in 1992, with 320x200 256-color VGA graphics).

For me, when a game stops being fun and starts to feel more like a part-time job, I know that I'm done with it (sometimes I know that right from the start).

I haven't played any of the previous Elder Scrolls(bought Morrowind but haven't played it yet, and not sure what systems the first two Elder Scrolls were made for), but Oblivion has lots of personality...there's 9 cities, and about 20-50 NPCs per city, all of whom(except for the beggars) have different personalities...the world itself is huge, but has around 100 or so places outside of the cities that you can discover or need to do some questing at...and you don't really need to do that much traveling around the world...you can skip the entire exploring thing if you want by 'fast traveling' from place to place, and only 'exploring' manually to a cave or location that you need to go to for your current quest.

Now granted, I haven't finished the game yet(played about 50 hours and have only been doing the side-quests), but thus far I've only needed to spend about 25-30 minutes of that 50 hours traveling around the world...the rest of it has been reading the books you find all over the place, performing quests, and talking to people.

yeah, the books are actually pretty good......

Not everyone has 1600 bucks for a top of the line PC. Also with a console you can be sure it won't be obsolete in a year. I definitely wouldn't say PC gamers are more mature or any smarter then console gamers. I've met some pretty pig headed people on both platforms.

If you realy want to see how bad certain PC Gamers can get visit any forum for any Fallout game (I recommend the official forum for Fallout 3), You will be utterly repulsed and ashamed for ever owning a computer, I guarantee it!

Most people don't really care about PC gaming anymore anyway. I'm not trying to be an ass but it's true. Most of the highly anticipated games are all console games, and generally the only time PCs are refered to in the gaming community now is when talking about RTSs or MMOs or to compare a console game to the same game on a PC and argue which is better. Not saying PC gaming is dead, just that it's golden years are behind it.

..................you're saying that PC games don't matter anymore on a CIVILIZATION forum (which is still mostly PC exclusive) that has more than 1,000 maybe even 2,000 members? most of them JUST for civ? wow.......well, Crysis is a good example of highly anticipated......Empire Earth III (though it was a BIG letdown) pretty much any Total war game, Hellgate London......just to name a few

@Thrallia: Same here in Morrowind's case.

Doesn't anybody know that most people liked the 360 version of Call of Duty 4 more than the PC version? The same is true for BioShock, as well.

Most people don't really care about PC gaming anymore anyway. I'm not trying to be an ass but it's true. Most of the highly anticipated games are all console games, and generally the only time PCs are refered to in the gaming community now is when talking about RTSs or MMOs or to compare a console game to the same game on a PC and argue which is better. Not saying PC gaming is dead, just that it's golden years are behind it.
It might be so in Yankland, but in Sweden the computer is far from dead.

EDIT: Also, Swedes have a reputation of being extremely good gamers.

It's not dead in Yankland either (unless you ignore the Sims, WoW, casual games, subscription model games, and Direct Downloads, in which case it looks bad here)

If you realy want to see how bad certain PC Gamers can get visit any forum for any Fallout game (I recommend the official forum for Fallout 3), You will be utterly repulsed and ashamed for ever owning a computer, I guarantee it!

Is the official forum for Fallout 3 worse than No Mutants Allowed (or RPGCodex)?

The level of hostility in those forums is insane. I've tried to interact there in a reasonable and friendly manner but there is zero tolerance for anyone who thinks differently than the vocal forum posters. Those places do kind of make me feel ashamed of ever enjoying PC RPGs.

I've never understood platform snobbery -- whether it be PC, Playstation, or whatever -- as I enjoy good games on whatever platform they happen to arrive on. But fans of PC RPGs have to be the most elitist, arrogant, intolerant snobs I've ever encountered. Well, obviously not all of them (or even most of them) are like that, but as fanboys go, they seem to have the biggest chips on their shoulders and the most condescending attitude if you don't share their "intellectual" tastes.

I don't think that the PC as a gaming platform will ever disappear, or that it will ever come to pass that "nobody" will care about it. But I don't see it ever becoming my primary gaming platform again, and I think that will be the trend for a lot of people. PC games seem to have gravitated to two extremes. The short, simple, games like TextTwist, Bejewelled, Scrabulous, and other games that are more of a "diversion" than what many gamers would call a "full game experience" are extremely popular and occupy one end of the spectrum. At the other end we have the deep, complex, time-consuming games that are generally not very approachable to people who aren't already experienced with that type of game: multiplayer FPSes, RTS games, a handful of turn-based strategy titles, and MMORPGs. There's not much in the middle anymore.

I used to enjoy some of those more demanding games, but I don't have anywhere near the time to spend gaming that I used to and accessibility has become a lot more important to me. I can sit down and enjoy a game of Civ IV now and then, but if I hadn't played earlier Civ games when I had a lot more free time, I doubt that I would have been able to pick it up very quickly. Even now, I often get an itch to play a game of Civ, but unless I can finish it in one or two non-marathon sittings, I never finish the game because by the time I come back to it I can't remember what was happening.

you need to have lots of time to play cool and complex games on the comp.............I have too much time........

I've seen that I can't get into Civ4 unless I force myself. But I do want to play a game where you are actually creating something, I mean now I'm stuck in adventures like Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Galaxy, as well as the occasional game of Smash Bros. Brawl.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a "creating" game? Currently methinks a Total War game would be like Civ except much less time consuming and much more action oriented, which is pretty much what I need. But then I just kinda need a game like SimCity or Railroad Tycoon or whatever.

Just for the record, Sam and Max are coming to the Wii!

Is the official forum for Fallout 3 worse than No Mutants Allowed (or RPGCodex)?

The level of hostility in those forums is insane. I've tried to interact there in a reasonable and friendly manner but there is zero tolerance for anyone who thinks differently than the vocal forum posters. Those places do kind of make me feel ashamed of ever enjoying PC RPGs.

I've never understood platform snobbery -- whether it be PC, Playstation, or whatever -- as I enjoy good games on whatever platform they happen to arrive on. But fans of PC RPGs have to be the most elitist, arrogant, intolerant snobs I've ever encountered. Well, obviously not all of them (or even most of them) are like that, but as fanboys go, they seem to have the biggest chips on their shoulders and the most condescending attitude if you don't share their "intellectual" tastes.

I don't think that the PC as a gaming platform will ever disappear, or that it will ever come to pass that "nobody" will care about it. But I don't see it ever becoming my primary gaming platform again, and I think that will be the trend for a lot of people. PC games seem to have gravitated to two extremes. The short, simple, games like TextTwist, Bejewelled, Scrabulous, and other games that are more of a "diversion" than what many gamers would call a "full game experience" are extremely popular and occupy one end of the spectrum. At the other end we have the deep, complex, time-consuming games that are generally not very approachable to people who aren't already experienced with that type of game: multiplayer FPSes, RTS games, a handful of turn-based strategy titles, and MMORPGs. There's not much in the middle anymore.

I used to enjoy some of those more demanding games, but I don't have anywhere near the time to spend gaming that I used to and accessibility has become a lot more important to me. I can sit down and enjoy a game of Civ IV now and then, but if I hadn't played earlier Civ games when I had a lot more free time, I doubt that I would have been able to pick it up very quickly. Even now, I often get an itch to play a game of Civ, but unless I can finish it in one or two non-marathon sittings, I never finish the game because by the time I come back to it I can't remember what was happening.

Well, the main difference between the Fallout 3 forum and NMA is that I can read the former without wanting to kill someone while the later is like going to a KKK Rally, while there may be something entertaining in there it will mostly cause shock and hatred for those involved.

I'm just glad they stay in their own forums circle-jerking and wallowing self-pity and hatred of everything good and pure like some kind of emo-demon instead of coming here (!) or even leaving their basements and venturing out into the world (!!!) for any reason other then to buy more junk food and to occasionally go to one of their meet-ups for greasy nerd sex. (The only non-internet social experiences they have)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom