Loyal PC gamers finally kicked in teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play games, not systems.

I've enjoyed Civ for years (since the 2nd one), and plan on enjoying it from the comfy confines of my EZ chair on my 51" HD when it's out for my 360.

Some of us are well beyond 13 yo. and will never stop enjoying playing games regardless of the platform they are developed on.

(did not read through this entire thread, just responding to the OP ...)

I don't consider myself a brain-dead console player. I enjoy various platforms for game playing. Started with the ol' Atari 2600 when I was a pup, later gravitated to a Vic 20 & Apple ][e back in the day.

Fast-forward a few decades, and now I have a custom built PC that is smokin', and a PS3. The PS3 plays on a 1080p 46" 120Hz HD widescreen. Graphics are great & fluid btw.

Different strokes for different folks. Your mileage may vary, and you definitely carry a heavy-handed stereotype for the average demographic of console players, but I would suggest you open your eyes and broaden your horizons a bit. They're not all dead-brain 13 year olds, though those certainly exist as well as every other possible combo.

Late 30's here, and I'm looking forward to a Civ game on the PS3. I'll be the first in line buying it. Add me to the list of people who view Civ Rev as a positive thing.

Thanks to CFC for following this, Padma for traveling to Firaxis and providing us a report, and Sid for developing it :goodjob:

Firaxis sold out. It was bound to happen.

At least Paradox Interative still makes games 'that they want to play' instead of selling out and dumbing down a great IP so they can churn out a few extra bucks and jump into the console war.

Why oh why did Sid cancel the Wii version? He has a Wii in his office.

Indefinite hold. That's code for "canceled unless the other ones make tons of money and there's still interest".

The reason why console games are better is because you don't have to worry about crashes, bugs, installation, or disk space; just pick them up and play! Although I still haven't FORGOT about the PC, but now I'm stuck playing junk like Command and Conquer: Generals.

The reason why console games are better is because you don't have to worry about crashes, bugs, installation, or disk space; just pick them up and play!

This is mostly true. There are exceptions of course. While developing for consoles has its own set of headaches, only having to deal with a few fixed well-defined configurations makes for much more stable code.

Why did he cancel the Wii version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firaxis doesn't have enough people to work on that many different versions of the game at once. They are a tiny little division of Take-Two.

I'm personally hoping that the PC will die out as the primary mode of gaming, and that consoles will someday soon support modding. PCs are too effing expensive, and there are too many conflicts with differing standards, hardware, applications, and just general compatibility issues for them to be an efficient, effective gaming platform.

As was mentioned several times in the previews, Firaxis can do so much more because they no longer have to worry about people with a low end computer, whether it will have to support DX9 and 10, whether it will be compatible with a wide range of ATI and NVIDIA cards, and whether nor not everyone has effing TNL.

So, yeah, PCs can go eff themselves in the face. Give me a nice console with a single standard that developers can go crazy with, and find a way to allow us to make mods with it -- most likely with a program downloaded to the PC and activated with a registration key of some kind.

Plus, I love my couch, my TV, and the camaraderie to be had sitting around with friends and playing there. Consoles are inherently inclusive, set as they are in the living room and generally supporting single system multiplayer, while PCs are generally exclusive systems, set up in offices or small rooms, without support for single system multiplayer... unless devs started adding in hotseat modes to games again.

I'm very happy about CivR. I had to stop playing Civ4 (I played it only a fraction of all other Civ editions) because my laptop (made for businesses) took too long between turns during the later years. And, the graphics look much much better.

I'm personally hoping that the PC will die out as the primary mode of gaming, and that consoles will someday soon support modding. PCs are too effing expensive, and there are too many conflicts with differing standards, hardware, applications, and just general compatibility issues for them to be an efficient, effective gaming platform.

As was mentioned several times in the previews, Firaxis can do so much more because they no longer have to worry about people with a low end computer, whether it will have to support DX9 and 10, whether it will be compatible with a wide range of ATI and NVIDIA cards, and whether nor not everyone has effing TNL.
Consoles also has their disadvantages. As for one (as you noted about mods) Sony, Big N, Microsoft totally rules their consoles so all mods, patches ,etc has to go through them. Thus PC gives gamers a lot more power to mod ( even fix some games) than consoles do. With a console game if there something you like to change you can forget it.
As for playing on the couch , No problem as I got a 15' HDMI cable and connect it to my 42" HDTV.

I'm very happy about CivR. I had to stop playing Civ4 (I played it only a fraction of all other Civ editions) because my laptop (made for businesses) took too long between turns during the later years. And, the graphics look much much better.

On my laptop Civ4 can be played with full detail and no slow down. In this case, the problem is your hardware, not the software. If you want a PC for gaming, buy that.

Having said that, I'm getting the DS version (and the graphics will look much worse than my PC version).

Let's also not forget about the Original Civ (Civ1) was also ported to SNES :p.

Looks like CG just phailed on the Civ/SNES trivia. =P

Anyway, I don't get what the big deal is. If anything, the OP should be glad that consoles will get some Civ greatness once again.

...and maybe convince them to come to the light side and play Civ on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom