Loyal PC gamers finally kicked in teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, that would be interesting.

What do you think the 1000 achievement points are going to be?

I haven't the slightest clue. Probably winning each victory condition at least once or 5 times, then winning games on certain difficulty levels...

I kinda agree with the OP, but I certainly hesitate to use such harsh words directed at Firaxis. I have to admit that I am disappointed with the fact that Civ Revolution is a console-exclusive because I don't own any consoles, just my awesome PC right here. I could see someone responding to this post by saying something along the lines of "Why don't you go and buy one then?", to which I would say: I'm only 15 years old. I don't have the income to be able to purchase a $400 (or more) system. I'm still dependent on my parents for most of my things, and because I'm not spoiled, I can't just go and ask "Hey, Mom, I would really like an Xbox 360 or PS3 right now". The only reason I have a rocking PC is because I share it with my parents. They would have no real use for a console (they mainly use the computer for e-mail and internet), so they don't want to spend a ton of money on one.

I think that instead of making it console-exclusive, Firaxis should have developed it for PC AND those consoles. I understand that's easier said than done and that it would be like developing for 4 platfoms at once; but honestly, they would still get the new market of console gamers while retaining their tried-and-true demographic of PC gamers at the same time. It would make more people happy, and they would make more money.

Of course, I know that at this point nothing can change and that Civ Revolution is going to be console-exclusive. I still eagerly anticipate Civ V, but do we even have a confirmation on that yet? Sorry if I've been a little out of the loop, I've taken a break from Civ for a while.

In response to Aeon221, that is the biggest load of cheese I've ever heard. PCs are so expensive because they're so versatile. No console could ever compare with the PC for the sheer amount of customisation and variety of programs and games. The graphics on PCs are still dominating as well. Have you ever taken a look at Crysis before? Yeah, there you go. Also, in the middle of all this "effing" (especially in the face, apparently), when do you plan on trying to argue with the maturity of someone over the age of 10? The way I see it, you seem like an intelligent person, but you just can't quite make it past the line of maturity. For the record, your statement is impossible anyway, PC's don't have reproductive organs, hence they can't have intercourse with themselves...especially in the face. I can see someone responding at this point with a comment about male and female ports on a computer and its peripherals, but really, those aren't reproductive organs in any way, shape, or form; it's just a way to differentiate between the prongs and the holes that they go in on connectors.

Well this has been a long-winded post, but I really felt the need to get all of this out there. Don't get me wrong, I love Firaxis and all their games, but I really think they could have done a better job on planning for Civ Revolution.

the thing is..... you can only play crysis well if you have a near top-of-the-line computer, and those cost more than 1000 dollars.....I don't have that kind of money sadly......

Thor's Hammer, I plan on playing CivRev on my DS (which is not a $400 console). I have it on good authority that the main difference between that version and the 360 version is that the graphics are simpler. It also has the advantage of being able to be put in a pocket and toted anywhere.

CivRev is not Civ V. Everything I've read on it leads me to believe that it is a simpler, lighter game that the current Civ series on the PC. If it were to be released on the PC some might think that CivRev is the next in the series (V) and see it as a major step backwards (as most people expect Civ V (when it eventually ships) to be even more complex and deeper than Civ IV which CivRev will not be).

You carry a good point, warpstorm. I suppose I'm just upset to be left out of this whole thing. And yes, I just looked up the price of a DS and it's only $140 or so. I hope I didn't come off as a jerk in my previous post, I'm was just trying to defend my gaming platform.

Crysis doesn't require too beastly of a computer to run. To run WELL, yes, it requires a powerful computer. This computer that I have here was around $1000CAD (back in December) and it runs Crysis pretty much as smooth as butter at nearly maxed out graphics. So to run it at lower settings I'm sure it wouldn't be all that costly. Sorry to hear that your computer can't run it though...that really sucks. The point of me mentioning Crysis though wasn't "Go and play Crysis", it was just to cement the fact that PCs still have more impressive graphics than consoles, mainly due to the possibilities of the hardware on a PC.

From what I've read I interpreted the same as you; that the game is simpler, perhaps more streamlined and easy to pick up than a regular Civ game. I guess I'll just miss out on this one, hope you guys have fun. So does anyone know if Civ V has even been mentioned by Firaxis yet?

Question- if CivRev didn't carry the "Civilization" brand, would people be making this complaint?

I'm very happy about CivR. I had to stop playing Civ4 (I played it only a fraction of all other Civ editions) because my laptop (made for businesses) took too long between turns during the later years. And, the graphics look much much better.

Same here. I might get a new computer to run it faster (and to play games such as World in Conflict and Medieval II: Total War).

@Padma: Civ1 was ported to the SNES, but Civ2 was ported to the PSX.

I meant the Fire Emblem games on the home consoles, not the GBA!

I'd just like to say as a loyal pc gamer that has seen some of my favourite titles ruined by a shift to consol (don't get me started on Call of Duty) I was delighted to hear Civ was coming to the DS. I luv playing Civ IV and would like to play it during my lunch hours at work but I can't install it on my works pc and I'm not buying a laptop just to play Civ (yes I did think about it).
I currently spend some lunch hours with friends playing multiplay DS games over a coffee, now we can do Civ I think I just died and went to heaven.

Civ Revolution appears to be a cut down version of Civ IV so if anything the consol gamers are losing out not us, I'm sure there will be a Civ V and I look forward to it :goodjob:

Path of Radiance was on the GameCube and Radiant Dawn was on the Wii.

and they were both pretty similar to the GBA games, just different story/characters, and sweet graphics :) Fire Emblem games are awesome, and the early ones should be translated to english and released on the Wii Virtual Console!(*goes off muttering about the need for FE and Earthbound on the VC...)

I think that the achievements for the 360 version of CivRev will make it amazing for me...it might be the first game I'm able to hit 100% achievements on.

The original Fire Emblem will be included in the Masterpieces mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and it will also be remade for the Nintendo DS this year.

But you know what I'd like to play? Well, here are some silly names for strategy games I came up with.

Shining Force DS. Hey, Sega IS getting into the RPG craze on the DS with Sonic Chronices (made by the creators of hits such as Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect). I'd like to play a Shining Force game, which is basically Sega's equivalent of the Fire Emblem series.

Grim Fandango: Live and Learn. This would be an action adventure game very similar to The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, except that it would have some gameplay changing sequences, such as some FPS and TBS ones. Oh, and doesn't everybody think that Grim Fandango deserves a sequel?

The Legend of Zelda: Meteor Madness. VERY UNLIKELY, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT I DREAMED THAT BLIZZARD OR FIRAXIS OR VALVE WOULD BE MAKING THIS. Basicall, some meteors crash harboring an alien race that quickly takes over the world. And maybe there could be some FPS sequences using the Half-Life 2 engine?

Metroid: The Wrath of Khan. ONCE AGAIN, IMAGINED THAT BLIZZARD OR FIRAXIS OR VALVE WOULD BE MAKING THIS. The storyline could be that Samus Aran has long since died, with her son, Hannibal Aran, walking the desolate footsteps of a colony. Then the great Khan attacks his home planet, and he is enlisted to help him push the great Khan back. Once again, mostly TBS and FPS sequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom